Lock Camera to Animation?

2»

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Well, using 2 Genesis, one with a null on the head, the other with the camera ... well, there's good news and bad.

Good news ... the subject doesn't bounce, nice smooth walk ahead.

Bad news ... that camera doesn't stay with the parent. Even tried turning it into a parented prop figure ... it'll travel with the 2nd Genesis but it lags, then catches up, then lags, then catches up. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the aniblocks on Genesis, it's just not staying in position with its parent.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, using 2 Genesis, one with a null on the head, the other with the camera ... well, there's good news and bad.

Good news ... the subject doesn't bounce, nice smooth walk ahead.

Bad news ... that camera doesn't stay with the parent. Even tried turning it into a parented prop figure ... it'll travel with the 2nd Genesis but it lags, then catches up, then lags, then catches up. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the aniblocks on Genesis, it's just not staying in position with its parent.

Yep, I've tried every version of parenting I could and see the same thing. Wish I knew what was happening.
    edited December 1969

Would it have anything to do with a depth of field "range"?

edited December 1969

Nope. The Camera settings are not changing except for the location. Can't be DOF.

edited December 1969

SolVed :-)

[now to recreate blooper before they find me!]

time stopper ... rendering test .avi ... hopefully it'll be uploadable!

edited December 1969

here's the temporary cameratest link for anybody interested.

edited December 1969

Not bad, but I still pick up some wobble. I think that is the whole problem. We need a SMOOTH dolly. It has to be do able.

edited April 2013

Well I think some of that wobble is because the computer on which all that was made doesn't have that foot fix for Genesis [yet] so its a-walking on his heels ;-) That's way less than the wobble from having the camera watch any of its body parts.

Camera made with its own created null to focus on ... that was placed somewhere about the neck.
    There's an invisible Genesis also in the picture. On top of it is another null.
    Somewhere, I think it's a bit off centre, in front of the visible Genesis is the camera.
    The camera is parented to the null over the invisible Genesis.

So that's 2 Genesis, 2 nulls, 1 camera.

In Animate 2, the Genesis at "0" are together, and to the VISIBLE Genesis, a walk cycle is put on the Animate timeline and stretched out.
    FROM THE SIDE VIEW, not the camera!
    Run the animate 2 line 'til visible Genesis is at/near the end of the walk.
    So at that point in the timeline, then move the [what will become the] invisible Genesis to be where it is. [just slide it, not walking or anything]

Going back to the start of the Animate line, SIDE view, back a distance, run the animation slowly, and as the invisible Genesis 'leaves' the visible Genesis simply slide it back to position possibly adding a keyframe. I found it helpful to colour-code these figures to see better which was which while setting up the animation.

When it seems to be working as desired, bake it to the timeline and save the project.

edit: I have no argument that we could use a smoothing dolly. We could also use a camera that doesn't spin upside down when the target walks by ... and there he goes, upside down ... might work on a spaceship, but not down here on Earth lol ...

Post edited by patience55 on
  • SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

It's almost there but some side to side wobble. Thanks for continuing to try to solve this. I've not had any luck yet creating a smooth camera movement but I'll keep on trying to find a way.

edited April 2013

Superdog said:

It's almost there but some side to side wobble. Thanks for continuing to try to solve this. I've not had any luck yet creating a smooth camera movement but I'll keep on trying to find a way.

Yes a little. But like I said, the feet were not fixed and it's also a walk cycle intended for V4, 'cause that's what I had. Now I've noticed over at sharecg.com somebody has put up something of a walk for Genesis. Might be worth investigating that too.

edit; or it could my 'shaky hand' in moving the various elements around ;-)
    I'm sure with more time spent on it it could be improved.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    edited December 1969

Well, it's following the actor, whom is moving up, down, left, and right. People wobble when they walk.
    In Carrara, I select the clothing at frame 0, and type "0'(zero), which centers the clothing in the frame, at about the same level of zoom that you have in your video. Go to the last frame and type 0 again. The zoom turns out right both times, but I usually have to translate, or rotate the camera up a bit to get the aim right. I like to leave my Bezier tweener in between the first and last frames when I do this - and it's really smooth.

If its a motion filter you want, however, Project Dogwaffle Pro, Howler, has great motion stabilizing tools. Here's one of my Dogwaffle tutorial playlists that has a lot of that stuff in there: PD Pro Howler 7 series . Peruse my entire playlist collection here.

Personally (and I know that we need different things for this and that...) I like the movement that you camera is making. So do a lot of directors in CGI, as it looks more natural than smooth. So what Philip does in some of those tutorials I've linked to, is remove the motion, making sure to capture the undo buffer data, then do whatever custom post work that needed to be done, and then undo the motion stabilization. Dogwaffle then applies all of your changes to the undo buffer of the removal of the stabilization. Well, in truth, it does it all along... but you have to tell it to - but it asks you immediately as soon as you make a change. Pretty neat stuff! I often have difficulty when trying to get the sharper, natural motions of someone holding a camera into the render. Smooth is easy.

You can also drop your camera (at least in Carrara) into a Target Helper Object, and use this to ensure your aim and distance remain exact from point A to point B. Aim the camera the way you want before parenting it to the helper. Now drag the helper to the subject... anywhere you'll find it easy to place the helper again. Now drop the camera inside the helper object. Go to Point B, and move the Helper Object to the correct location. I haven't adopted this technique, myself yet. But many others have. I like to find something on the character, like the hair or clothing... or just select the character, whever, and zero the camera to that. Then remember what adjustment I've made manually from there, so I can apply it again at Point B. I'm sure this all sounds more complicated than it is. :)

edited April 2013

That movement comes in as the hip hits it's low spot and returns to height. Just watch the walk cycle slowly from the side with the hip selected (which the entire upper body is affected by).
    Parenting a camera to a character in motion is only a good idea for checking things on your character at various stages of the animation - but seldom as the actual render cam. I have a package of cameras that I add to my two main characters, and often to others that I parent right to the hip of the character. One is a closeup on the face, the other more of a full torso shot.

You can use these camera angles to help set up your non-parented filming camera by using "Set position to"
    So I begin filming at frame 0, where I set my parented camera to the angle and distance I want. Now I go to my rendering camera and choose "Set position to" and select that camera. Now I repeat that process anywhere where there's a key point in the animation to where the camera will have to change. In the above example of her video... this would only be the last frame... or I'll actually even go beyond that sometimes, as long as the motion remains the same. That will give you a really smooth 'follow' action with the camera. You can use this technique to great advantage when the character has to walk around a corner, and you want to focus to stay at the same angle to the subject.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Man... after watching that a third and fourth time... kudos to you Patience! That movement, what little is there, is very realistic. Even if you did decide to make some using the methods I've mentioned, I'd use some like this in between to keep the viewer believe that some humanity was involved in creating the film. Very nice job! ;-)

edited April 2013

:gulp: .... okay ... that sounds like "work" ... I was wondering how to make animations in Carrara too ... as Dodo is part of how I made the clip for test #3 which is rendering right now, think I'll bring that over to Nuts 'n Bolts to continue this section over there.

Test3 in D/S, I used a 'chain link fence' and am also displaying the static Genesis so one can see that the camera/etc is indeed smooth.
    [hopefully it translates well over to youtube]

And yes, Genesis does kind of limp. It's a V4 aniblock, I used the foot fixer again ... hopefully it stays put this time.

Discovered a 'quirk' ....

2 Genesis loaded

aniblock for walk on the first one

The second one travels TOO. Doing that lag/catch up/lag/catch up like it had been parented when indeed it had NOT been so.

So I deleted said 2nd Genesis, loaded a Dodo bird [seemed appropriate], Scrubbed Genesis forward a tad, repositioned Dodo ... and guess what. Dodo would carry on now following/going ahead/following/going ahead of Genesis. 'walking the bird' .... hehehehe

Alrighty, so I carefully repositioned the bird to stay with one leg, camera being targeted on "camera null" [very important apparently to use a camera null, not just any ol' null will do] and then with some minor burps, camera would focus pretty good on Genesis.

Then I loaded another Genesis, killed Dodo [easier than trying to figure out how to clear it off the timeline], loaded 2nd Dodo, slid 2nd Dodo to stay with static leg of Genesis ... having had slid 2nd Genesis to stay pretty close to active Actor guy.
    n.b. This added Genesis did NOT self parent to the actor Genesis. [which is good]

To the OP, I'll concede, this is a work a-round ... funsville.

A few nulls later ... back to original camera null, parented somewhere way over head of 2nd Dodo which is glued to 3rd Genesis statically following Genesis Actor.

This was so easy with planets.

edited December 1969

Well, it's following the actor, whom is moving up, down, left, and right. People wobble when they walk.
    ... edit ...

Uploading the 3rd test ... should be live sometime about midnight.
    n.b. on this one that the stop/go seriously has nothing to do with cameras, etc. Something happened during the D/S render of the avi file and so it's "as is". To better illustrate that the camera is not wobblying, 'tis just the way Genesis walks.
    I did centre the camera better and a few other details were adjusted.

Just wanted to clarify though on this comment about it following the actor. Specially no, it was following an invisible null attached to another invisible figure file. So presumably there'd be no up/down camera movement as said items were only moving forward.

edited December 1969

'K, here's the third test ... Youtube's conversion actually corrected some of the stop/go playback issues.

edited December 1969

'K, here's the third test ... Youtube's conversion actually corrected some of the stop/go playback issues.
    NOW that is VERY close to what I want. Please tell me his again in little bitty baby steps. This I can use.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    NOW that is VERY close to what I want. Please tell me his again in little bitty baby steps. This I can use.

I will. I took a series of images along the way ... took a break for RL ... hopefully over the weekend I'll get them edited and uploaded in Nuts 'n Bolts.

edited December 1969

... edit ...

Uploading the 3rd test ... should be live sometime about midnight.
    n.b. on this one that the stop/go seriously has nothing to do with cameras, etc. Something happened during the D/S render of the avi file and so it's "as is". To better illustrate that the camera is not wobblying, 'tis just the way Genesis walks.
    I did centre the camera better and a few other details were adjusted.

Just wanted to clarify though on this comment about it following the actor. Specially no, it was following an invisible null attached to another invisible figure file. So presumably there'd be no up/down camera movement as said items were only moving forward.

How very odd...
    Then again, I am a Carraraist - so maybe things just behave differently in D|S. The strange part is that I didn't always have Carrara, and I've always shot walking people animations. That's kind of what I do...

You are right on the money with this latest one. Try this once, regarding the jumping you're talking about above. After seeing the avi play through once, run it a few more times through your player. Often the first time playing through a raw avi can be jumpy, but only in the media player, and will smooth out as the player logs it to memory.

edited December 1969

Just a little differently ;-)

Could be the various editions of viewers too ... Microsoft may or not have done an update to one that the older computer doesn't have. Anyway I'm glad it's playing better than on my older computer.

Still have a few images to fix up and post, or find and post lol ...
    But here's the link for them: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20908/