Are you on DeviantArt?

Comments

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Yep, I'm on there: http://3doutlaw.deviantart.com/ :)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited April 2013

This thread inspired me to go back and look at my DeviantArt account. I haven't posted anything there since 2004, but I'm looking for a new place to host freebies, maybe sell prints. What do you think of DA for those things?

You can host a small freebie there, but you'll get taken to school on the percentages if you sell prints there. They operate on a print-on-demand CafePress-like system wherein they keep the base price and you get whatever you choose to add on to it (i.e., they keep $12, you get to keep $2 by raising the price $2). I still think you're better off posting a notice that you're willing to sell tiffs or pngs. I know some artists do this.

ShareCG or Rendo Free Stuff will reach a larger number of users for most free content.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited April 2013

R.com requires "approval"... they've taken as long as a week to get to mine, and if you're posting anything Genesis, they often have not the first clue what they're looking at.

Post edited by wancow on
  • natrix natrixnatrix natrix Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Thanks for the info!

I already have freebies on ShareCG, so I'll just keep posting there. As for the prints, I would never sell a digital file, so I guess I'll have to live with the huge cut that all the various services seem to take.

Post edited by natrix natrix on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

...I've received requests for pics of my girls, but just cannot bring myself to sell them as they've kind of become like "family".

However, I have thought about creating and exhibiting gallery quality prints at Sci Fi con art shows as many have come around to accept the digital medium as an "original" form. I do plan to exhibit a few RIS pics, but those will be tagged NFS.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I've received requests for pics of my girls, but just cannot bring myself to sell them as they've kind of become like "family".

However, I have thought about creating and exhibiting gallery quality prints at Sci Fi con art shows as many have come around to accept the digital medium as an "original" form. I do plan to exhibit a few RIS pics, but those will be tagged NFS.

Good idea! I've seen a lot of really good art shown at a con that I otherwise might have missed.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Hmm thats an interesting thought, I'm not sure how i would handle a request.

A person can invest so much of themselves into his or her own characters that you can get attached to them, you really don't want some random person asking for those characters to then be put into situations you aren't comfortable with.

But on the other hand. $Money$ :smirk:

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Hmm thats an interesting thought, I'm not sure how i would handle a request.

A person can invest so much of themselves into his or her own characters that you can get attached to them, you really don't want some random person asking for those characters to then be put into situations you aren't comfortable with.

But on the other hand. $Money$ :smirk:'

If you're interested in selling art in those "situations," develop a couple of characters intended for them specifically? You have to render them in other situations too, to attract customers to them, but at least then you have something to offer and can reserve those special to you but still get the money.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited April 2013

...I guess for me money is not worth compromising my sense of values.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited April 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...some requests that I've received are for settings that, well...ones I do not feel are "appropriate" and have no interest in portraying no matter which character I use.

Yeah I can imagine that would come up quite a bit on a site that gets such a large number of visitors.

...I guess for me money is not worth compromising my sense of values.

(Btw just to be clear i was serious with the first part of my other post, and was joking about the money part to offset being serious in the first place didn't think i had to actually explain that but in the future i will be more careful with what i see around here) :ohh:
    Post edited by DireBunny on
  • ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

I actually just posted a journal entry on exactly that sort of subject. Some of the requests I've gotten since I started practicing and learning Daz Studio have been... Unsettling, to say the least.

edited December 1969

I actually just posted a journal entry on exactly that sort of subject. Some of the requests I've gotten since I started practicing and learning Daz Studio have been... Unsettling, to say the least.

At that point, all one can do is say a firm no.

I haven't been asked yet, because I don't advertise as selling renders, but this is the internet. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later. :D

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Isikol.deviantart.com :)

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Slow to come out of lurkerdom both there and here...I'm http://tmcgarry.deviantart.com there. :)

Thanks for this thread, wancow!

edited December 1969

I haven't been asked yet, because I don't advertise as selling renders, but this is the internet. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later. :D

If it were a matter of me advertising as selling renders, then I could just say "Your kink is okay, but that doesn't mean I'll do it." I think there are people there that just assume "if this person makes art of any kind, they'll sell it to me for monies!" and we all know that just isn't true. ;)

Every time I consider taking commissions of any kind, something like this happens to discourage me.

In art-related news, though, that sale on the Daz store for tutorials has me making all kinds of happy noises.

edited December 1969

If it were a matter of me advertising as selling renders, then I could just say "Your kink is okay, but that doesn't mean I'll do it." I think there are people there that just assume "if this person makes art of any kind, they'll sell it to me for monies!" and we all know that just isn't true. ;)

Every time I consider taking commissions of any kind, something like this happens to discourage me.

In art-related news, though, that sale on the Daz store for tutorials has me making all kinds of happy noises.

Good grief, really?

Wow. That's more aggressive than I expected from the DA crowd.

edited December 1969

Good grief, really?

Wow. That's more aggressive than I expected from the DA crowd.

Sad but true, there are people on DA who think that just because they offer you money, you'll do whatever they want. Case in point, a friend of mine recently had to explain to someone why what they were asking was illegal and that no amount of money paid for the piece would make it legal (they basically wanted him to use Star Trek-related IP in a piece they would then resell on smartphones). They went back and forth with him saying "but this is not legal for me to do," and them saying "But I'm paying you."

And so on and so forth.

I get a few crazy requests now and again, which I won't repeat here (ask me privately or on DA if you want the insane particulars), but since I started putting 3D work up, they've increased at least five-fold. It's WEIRD.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    edited December 1969

To answer your question, yes I am.

However, since this is about uploading renders, my render account is an alt with this same username http://mimicmolly.deviantart.com/ I use here and other places. My main account is on my signature. Oh and here's a render I made using your 'street' lamp.

edited December 1969

To answer your question, yes I am.

However, since this is about uploading renders, my render account is an alt with this same username http://mimicmolly.deviantart.com/ I use here and other places. My main account is on my signature. Oh and here's a render I made using your 'street' lamp.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I get to see my stuff in other people's renders so very rarely :)

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

I myself have not much in the way of a gallery yet, but I don't think DeviantArt is where I will post them when I do.
    I have acquired some of the worst viruses I've ever suffered from the DeviantArt Site. I doubt I'll ever go there again. The last time my kid's friend was over, she said she was just going to look at her e-mail. an hour later he found her looking at stuff on DeviantArt and she had never even gotten to her e-mail site. I kicked her off the computer, ran a virus scan, and, sure enough, I had acquired a worm.

Just my experiences there, but I tell all my acquaintances to put D.A. on there not-allowed lists.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I myself have not much in the way of a gallery yet, but I don't think DeviantArt is where I will post them when I do.
    I have acquired some of the worst viruses I've ever suffered from the DeviantArt Site. I doubt I'll ever go there again. The last time my kid's friend was over, she said she was just going to look at her e-mail. an hour later he found her looking at stuff on DeviantArt and she had never even gotten to her e-mail site. I kicked her off the computer, ran a virus scan, and, sure enough, I had acquired a worm.

Just my experiences there, but I tell all my acquaintances to put D.A. on there not-allowed lists.

As a long time user of DA this is a new one to me. You do know the worm could have installed while the Friend was surfing and went active when they went to DA do you not?
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    As a long time user of DA this is a new one to me. You do know the worm could have installed while the Friend was surfing and went active when they went to DA do you not?

This is the second time someone has told me this, but I never got specifics previously either... :(

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

More likely a drive-by shooting from a poisoned ad banner than from dA itself; that can happen on any website if you don't use things like AdBlock+ and NoScript to protect yourself. That and make sure you have your system up-to-date so the exploits those adverts trip can't be used anyway...

Personally, I've never had troubles with dA. But then I also use AdBlock+ and NoScript...

edited December 1969

Well said and I follow this advice myself.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Well said and I follow this advice myself.

+1. I've never gotten malware from Deviantart. I use AdBlock and Avast.

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

It was a direct hit from DA. I got the details from my, then inadequate, virus scanner. I can't recall whether it was Norton or McAffee, but it had a tendency to tell me I acquired a virus, rather than block it.
    Now days, I use Trend Micro and have not had a virus of any sort since. No ad problems, no spyware, no unwanted cookies even. It is the best on the market, but a lot of people don't want to pay for their protection.
    I have Trend set to not allow my PC to open infected pages, but I have not been to DA since those problems occurred, so I can't tell you what TM says about them, off-hand. I just don't consider it wise to revisit trouble.

• cthulu-sancthulu-san Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Not much there yet, but time willing it will grow.

cthulu-san.deviantart.com

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

It was a direct hit from DA. I got the details from my, then inadequate, virus scanner. I can't recall whether it was Norton or McAffee, but it had a tendency to tell me I acquired a virus, rather than block it.
    Now days, I use Trend Micro and have not had a virus of any sort since. No ad problems, no spyware, no unwanted cookies even. It is the best on the market, but a lot of people don't want to pay for their protection.
    I have Trend set to not allow my PC to open infected pages, but I have not been to DA since those problems occurred, so I can't tell you what TM says about them, off-hand. I just don't consider it wise to revisit trouble.

Well, I've been on DeviantArt for the last three years and counting. So far, no viruses. Oddly enough I *did* get a virus from Facebook though. Irony, I know.
  • Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Krissy said:
    Jaderail said:
    We over at Daz3DelightExp are open to any Daz user. Come look and join in. You only need 3 renders.

erm.. poser excluded? :)

Does Poser use 3Delight? If the purpose is for use of the 3Delight Render Engine, it's kinda pointless if you're using Poser.

Ahaaa... ok..

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    wancow said:
    Krissy said:
    Jaderail said:
    We over at Daz3DelightExp are open to any Daz user. Come look and join in. You only need 3 renders.

erm.. poser excluded? :)

Does Poser use 3Delight? If the purpose is for use of the 3Delight Render Engine, it's kinda pointless if you're using Poser.

Ahaaa... ok.. Opps missed this, sorry Krissy but yes it's a Daz3D, 3Delight and Renderman only group.