Is there a way to get my NVIDEA GT630 Graphics card to work with Bryce renders?

I installed the software with the tray icon that shows processes using the graphics card... it shows DAZ|Studio using it with even just the texture shaded preview, but on Bryce it doesn't use it, even during rendering.

Comments

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    No way. Bryce is only able to use CPU. GPU is use to display objects in a scene while you are working but it can not be use to render something.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

if it had an SDK I am sure someone could create some plugin to Octane etc but sadly it has not and doing so would be considered against the EULA

is a shame one is not available

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,123

Bryce has two built in render engines and both use the CPU up to 8 cores. There were discussions in the 7.0 to 7.1 development cycle to add GPU support. CPUs have a defined instruction set, GPUs have a rudimentary common instruction set but what makes them good or better are improvements that are brand dependant. My computer features an old and lousy Nvidia card which Octane can use but Nvidia iRay cannot.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    edited October 2017

the thing is Bryce has a tiny auxiliary  viewport that actually renders the scene, the source of the data that is sent to that viewport is what possibly could be used in a PBR renderer if DAZ was willing to let someone decompile the app which of course they won’t.

It would read and interprete the directX drawcalls apparrently

I know nothing about how to do such stuff but someone once posted who said it is doable for an Octane bridge, searching this forum for that post is near impossible.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2017

David Brinnen, who is a Bryce guru, was playing with Bryce and Octane back as far as 2013.   https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22321/bryce-to-octane

Post edited by Chohole on
  • On a related topic, give some consideration to PBR workflows.  If you go https://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/ filter video, david brinnen and PBR it will bring up my video on prepairing PBR maps for use in Bryce.  Well this works both ways.  Because Bryce is going to give you diffuse and not base colour and... well... so forth with the maps.  Working on the basis you know what PBR entails mechanically then you have to consider, reasonably, if PBR has anything to offer over what Bryce can achieve internally.  I'd argue that mostly the answer to that question is speed - depending on your outlook.  Don't get me wrong I'm not downplaying the technical achievements of PBR - but I feel that a lot of the time comparing Bryce with Octane is like making a comparison between tranditional art media and photography.  I won't be offended if you are not onboard with this idea, indeed I can remember all too clearly how I yearned for Bryce to be Octane - but because I have both, I can only observe that given the choice (off the top of my head) I'd say Octane but practically speaking, when it comes down to dreaming something up and then making that into a picture, Bryce wins hands down.  I find that PBR is a straitjacket creatively.  Bryce has so many hacks and fiddles I can get closer to what is in my minds eye.