Not To Worry, Friend, "There's Always Another Sale™"

19495969798100»

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Email me when something exciting happens laugh 

L'Adair said:
    jakiblue said:

whew. I thought I lost the thread! It's bumped down a bit. LOL

Not much to talk about. The sale is pretty much the same thing today as yesterday, with the addition of 10 new releases. No new freebie today, (not complaining, though. We did get two yesterday!) The 2017 Top Sellers list has 49 items, many of which were there yesterday, though several are different today. (Looks like they rotate some out each day and replace with other top sellers.) The same with the 2015/2016 Top Sellers, with 74 items. As far as I can tell, both Genesis 8 offers (Pro Bundles and Previous Generation Pro Bundles; Characters and Previous Generation Characters,) haven't changed, products or discounts, since day 1. And the 400+ Featured Previous Generation Genesis Add-ons doesn't seem to change much, either. I did notice there were 469 products at the beginning of the sale, then 467, and now back to 469. And today I think I saw a few items that weren't in there before...

It's a catch 22. It would be more exciting if those categories had different products every day, but then those people who have to wait for payday would miss out on the specials. And we'd hear about in this thread, that's for sure. LOL. But when so much stays the same from day-to-day, there really isn't a lot to talk about.

And as far as I can tell, we didn't have any glitches to bit...complain about, either. If Daz makes a habit of these smooth, problem-free changeovers, I'm afraid the "There's Always Another Sale™" threads may cease to be so popular!
    laugh

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    L'Adair said:

I'm on the fence about Growing Up for G8M. I have it for every other generation, how many young boys do I need? And if it's not a merchant resource, I couldn't sell anything with it, so really, what is the point? I really don't see much point to G8 at all except that I may want to create a character for sale and G3 is already considered old news. I really prefer G3. Personally, I think Daz should have waited another year and made G8 a huge step forward instead of just G3 with some things behind the hood that is not obvious to most buyers..,

I agree with you 110%. And waiting another year would also have allowed vendors to come up with more products for G3, too. I look at the sheer number of great options for the generation 4 figures and can't help but think we'd see more stuff like that for the "current" generation if a new model wasn't released every two years. Instead, vendors—including Daz—are producing a lot of the same stuff for G8 that they already produced for G3. And I'm not just talking about utilities like the great products Zev0 releases. With dForce around the corner, (when G8 was released,) they could have incorporated soft-body physics into G8 and released the line in 2018. Now that would have been a real reason to adopt the next generation, not just (what appears to be, in my opinion,) a marketing ploy.

Agree also!

I bet that if Daz created a comprehensive manual that could be ordered as an actual paper book with screenshots that included EVERY aspect of DS, including little known tips and tricks that I sometimes see in the forums and then forget and can't find again, they would have made way more money off of that than all G8 sales to date....  I want to learn how to use what I already have. Not in video tutorials, not searching through forums, but with a manual that I can look at and refer to easily while the program is open. I want to be able to highlight like I did in college textbooks. I really don't need any more content, I need to learn how to use what I have to the full capabilities of Daz Studio in an easy to understand non-over geeky way... I'm not sure why Daz refuses to do that. I seriously believe it would be their biggest money maker to date.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    L'Adair said:

There were big differences between G2 and G3. Though the morphs may have appeared to look and work the same, the workings "under the hood" were different. With G3 and G8, the differences are more subtle. G8 bends better, and does expressions a lot better, but the basic shape is so close to G3 that one can convert clothing between the two generations very easily using Sy's tutorial on DeviantArt.

I would say that techniology-wise there is less diffrence between Genesis 3 and 8 as between Victoria 4 and 4.2.  From a user standpoint, the biggest difference is the incompatible poses, but here is a free pose conversion utility with a simple dial that allowes Genesis 3 poses to be directly applied to 8...

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 2017

I bet that if Daz created a comprehensive manual that could be ordered as an actual paper book with screenshots that included EVERY aspect of DS, including little known tips and tricks that I sometimes see in the forums and then forget and can't find again, they would have made way more money off of that than all G8 sales to date....  I want to learn how to use what I already have. Not in video tutorials, not searching through forums, but with a manual that I can look at and refer to easily while the program is open. I want to be able to highlight like I did in college textbooks. I really don't need any more content, I need to learn how to use what I have to the full capabilities of Daz Studio in an easy to understand non-over geeky way... I'm not sure why Daz refuses to do that. I seriously believe it would be their biggest money maker to date.

I'm pretty sure their "refusal" is based on practicality.

I've worked on product manuals, and they take a surprising amount of time to do right, even for simple products. A manual for complex software, on the other hand, could easily take the better part of a year to write, require a full team of technical writers who would also have to learn the program, and the manual would be out-of-date before it was even printed. That's why so many software companies have stopped doing printed manuals and have moved to online documentation. It's much easier to maintain, with changes going live immediately.

Like you, I'd rather have a printed reference book, but I'm afraid those have become obsolete for software, (and hardware,) by virtue of the tech evolving so fast. I'd be delighted if the online documentation was up-to-date for the previous version of Daz Studio! But even that would be a gargantuan undertaking at this point.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

With everything so quiet, I realized this was a really good time to start the new thread. You can find it here: Bah Humbug! "Always Another Sale™"

This discussion has been closed.