greyscale renders in Carrara Pro

I would appreciate guideance to tutorials etc on greyscale rendering in Carrara Pro 8.5. Thanks. Salut. pmj

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822

AFAIK it is not an option yet

Philemo's Gmic plugin may change that

Postwork is your best option in the meantime, for images Gimp, Photoshop etc for video Virtualdub, Hitfilm Express or your video compositor editor of choice

• th3Digit - Thanks for the tips. Need to go back to my b/w cinema training for lighting techniques to maximize greyscale differentiatoin. Salut.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2017

You could always try something like what @Roygee did for the 2014 Holiday Season Challenge and only use shades of grey in your shaders. laugh

Here's his image: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/732511/#Comment_732511

Converting to B&W in post is probably quicker for a still image, but his method would be more fun.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    MDO2010 said:

You could always try something like what @Roygee did for the 2014 Holiday Season Challenge and only use shades of grey in your shaders. laugh

Here's his image: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/732511/#Comment_732511

Converting to B&W in post is probably quicker for a still image, but his method would be more fun.

That's a cool idea. Some things might look better pushed lighter or darker which might not be obvious in full color.

I tried a brief experiment if you wanted to stay within Carrara you can sort of create a Black and White filter, but you'll have to render twice. 

1. Render your footage or still image as normal. 
    2. Create a new scene and add a plane, either Primitive or Vertex Object, and make it the same ratio as your footage.
    3. Set you camera so that it is pointing straight at the plane and fills the camera margins (or whatever they're called).
    4. Create a new shader, turn everything to 'None' except in the Glow Channel add a Color Gradient and set one end to pure black and one end to pure white. For the Shader add a Texture Map and load the movie sequence you just rendered.
    5. Turn off all lights in the Assembly room and now you should be able to render out this sequence and is should be Black and White. You can fuss with the Color Gradient sliders to lighten or darken the image.

There are probabaly many other combinations one could try, but with rendering twice it probably would be much easier to tweak it in another software.

color_web.jpg
    640 x 864 - 42K
    bw_web.jpg
    640 x 864 - 35K
    bw_dark_web.jpg
    640 x 864 - 34K
    assembly_room.jpg
    1394 x 929 - 145K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

P.S. There is also a plugin called 'Noir' from Digital Carver's Guild. I don't have any experience using it but it might be something to look into.

• th3Digit - Thanks for the tips. Need to go back to my b/w cinema training for lighting techniques to maximize greyscale differentiatoin. Salut.

• Many thanks for the very useful guidance. Will take some time to consider these interesting solutions. Any thoughts on the built-in tif 16 bit greyscale render mode? Salut.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

Many thanks for the very useful guidance. Will take some time to consider these interesting solutions. Any thoughts on the built-in tif 16 bit greyscale render mode? Salut.

I've never even noticed that it existed! surprise

I always render to Photoshop files so that I get all my render layers in one file, or just to JPG if doing quick test renders.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Many thanks for the very useful guidance. Will take some time to consider these interesting solutions. Any thoughts on the built-in tif 16 bit greyscale render mode? Salut.

I tried it this morning.  I was able to render a grayscale image, but it was inverted.  Took it into PS, reinverted it, and it looked fine, like a standard b&w image.

Not sure what you are looking for here.  It would be just as easy to load a standard Carrara rendered image into PS and remove the color.  I did that to the same image, and they look identical.

If you want to play with grayscale within the Carrara environment, it looks like the DCG Noir plugin (mentioned by DesertDude) is your best bet.

• rk66rk66 Posts: 433

maybe here 

BlackWhite and Sand rendering plugin > http://carraracafe.com/downloads/?did=24