? A New Marketing Stratagy ?

Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,320
edited October 2017 in The Commons

What is this that is showing up in product descriptions? Is DAZ going to a new marketing plan?

Product decription.jpg
739 x 635 - 39K
Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Comments

• Hope to god.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,320

It seems to have now disappeared from the product descriptions. I wonder if it was an unintended disclosure of things yet to come ?

• The "Pro license" could just be for things like merchant resources. I don't know. But even that sounds like a major break from the long-standing TOS.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    How funny. The timing of this is incredible. I have been suggesting this numerous times. Maybe somebody actually listened. Think about what a user has to do to find if they can use an item in a game. They have to locate the FAQ and EULA from Daz, not in the product, to discover what the game licensing is. Then they have to search to see if that PA has a game license. And then if they are interested they have to drop a minimum of $500 for that license that covers all of that PA's products, even if they only want one or two of that PA's products in the game. There's no way that is selling often. And because of how hidden these things are, I bet you money that there are a number of people who bought products and used them in games without ever buying the game license...not because they were intentionally doing so, but because they didn't know. That's $500 left on the table that Daz and that PA never see. How many different threads have we seen in the forums about people asking for clarification on game licenses??? Too many, and that's because its too unclear. It should not be a forum moderator's job to explain game licensing. A store should never confuse its customers, that's just bad for business. This isn't a marketing strategy, its a badly needed change this store should have made years ago.
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,080

Could be interesting. A per product license would make more sense than the current ... well... ... current thing... :D Currently it's quite chaotic. Per vendor, or per vendor per project, it all depends on the vendor. Some vendors don't have such licenses at all. A common system would make sense.

• Ati said:

Could be interesting. A per product license would make more sense than the current ... well... ... current thing... :D Currently it's quite chaotic. Per vendor, or per vendor per project, it all depends on the vendor. Some vendors don't have such licenses at all. A common system would make sense.

Truthfully, my feeling is that if a PA wanted their content to be used in a game, they would either have a game license available in their store or be selling via Morph3D or another game engine store site.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,080
    Ati said:

Truthfully, my feeling is that if a PA wanted their content to be used in a game, they would either have a game license available in their store or be selling via Morph3D or another game engine store site.

Yeah, but what about new PAs? Let's say they only have one (1) item in the store so far. That wouldn't justify a $2,000 game developer license.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Ati said:

Regardless, the products need to have this information on the store page to prevent any confusion. Daz3D is a 3D model store, by its very nature there will be people looking to use those models in games. To think otherwise is not logical. That's like buying a fancy camera and being told that while it can record movies perfectly fine, you can only take pictures with it, LOL. Also, there are products in the store that have multiple PAs on them, how do game licenses work for those? Too much confusion. They should have a function to sort through products that have a license available, that would help, too.

And Daz markets itself for games, Genesis 3 was supposed to be more optimized for games. If they are going to market themselves that way then they need to take it seriously, and they have failed this miserably. And Morph3D...where is it? If Daz3D wants to pass the gaming off to Morph3D, then why don't they have any mention of Morph3D anywhere on this store? It may as well not even exist. Its not a hard thing to do: "Looking for models geared towards gaming? Visit our sister site Morph3D and find numerous popular models optimized for Unity!" How are people just browsing around supposed to know of Morph3D's existence? But last I checked, Morph3D only had a very small selection, and they had only had FIVE environments, yes 5, something that Daz has loads of. So if you are looking for an environment to work off of, you certainly do NOT want to go to Morph3D. Of course, you can't check right now because Morph3D seems to be going through some sort of change. There is a "coming soon" on much their site. I think this is the 3rd major redesign of Morph3D that I can recall. And they seem to be oddly focused on VR, which sounds like a big risk to me when VR has barely got off the ground. I guess they are trying. I have already spoken at length how I feel that Morph3D should be a part of Daz3's store, not a spin off venture few people heard of. I still laugh at how many Daz users thought they were being spammed by Morph3D when Daz had some Morph3D emails sent to people on Daz's email list. When you have to explain to people that this is a real thing, not a scam or virus, you know you got a problem!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1799896/

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558
    How funny. The timing of this is incredible. I have been suggesting this numerous times. Maybe somebody actually listened. Think about what a user has to do to find if they can use an item in a game. They have to locate the FAQ and EULA from Daz, not in the product, to discover what the game licensing is. Then they have to search to see if that PA has a game license. And then if they are interested they have to drop a minimum of $500 for that license that covers all of that PA's products, even if they only want one or two of that PA's products in the game. There's no way that is selling often. And because of how hidden these things are, I bet you money that there are a number of people who bought products and used them in games without ever buying the game license...not because they were intentionally doing so, but because they didn't know. That's $500 left on the table that Daz and that PA never see. How many different threads have we seen in the forums about people asking for clarification on game licenses??? Too many, and that's because its too unclear. It should not be a forum moderator's job to explain game licensing. A store should never confuse its customers, that's just bad for business. This isn't a marketing strategy, its a badly needed change this store should have made years ago.

You are correct a store shouldn't confuse it's customers, so they should make Morph3D the site for EVERYTHING game related and leave this store and PAs for everything DS related. I don't want to have anything to do with game development here at DAZ, I would rather go to a game specific store and forums for that like I do already.

As for not having a license because they didn't know any better, please. I have been involved in the gaming industry long enough to see the opposite of that, LOL.I am all for a new pricing system based on asset use, I only hope they have a plan in place to enforce it.

I really wish DAZ was more outspoken and had a much bigger voice on the forums. Knowing where they are wanting to go with the company, marketing and plans for the future might go a long way in attracting new customers or even keeping customers that don't have an interest in what DAZ's future plans are. They have had gaming licenses for awhile now and in the last year more and more PAs have created gaming licenses. I have always looked at this as a legal cover your butt scenario since in my experience many wannabe game developers are going to do what they want/use what they want, license or not. Other than the licenses and the lower poly genesis figures, there really isn't much else being done that I can see to make DAZ more game use friendly. I feel if they were serious about users using these assets in a game engine, there were be more robust export options built into DS first and foremost, which there isn't. Morph3d would also either be hosted on this store and/or be more comprehensive it it's offerings and tech, which it isn't. So if DAZ is planning to move forward with gaming assets, I for one would love to know.

• How funny. The timing of this is incredible. I have been suggesting this numerous times. Maybe somebody actually listened. Think about what a user has to do to find if they can use an item in a game. They have to locate the FAQ and EULA from Daz, not in the product, to discover what the game licensing is. Then they have to search to see if that PA has a game license. And then if they are interested they have to drop a minimum of $500 for that license that covers all of that PA's products, even if they only want one or two of that PA's products in the game. There's no way that is selling often. And because of how hidden these things are, I bet you money that there are a number of people who bought products and used them in games without ever buying the game license...not because they were intentionally doing so, but because they didn't know. That's $500 left on the table that Daz and that PA never see. How many different threads have we seen in the forums about people asking for clarification on game licenses??? Too many, and that's because its too unclear. It should not be a forum moderator's job to explain game licensing. A store should never confuse its customers, that's just bad for business. This isn't a marketing strategy, its a badly needed change this store should have made years ago.

You are correct a store shouldn't confuse it's customers, so they should make Morph3D the site for EVERYTHING game related and leave this store and PAs for everything DS related. I don't want to have anything to do with game development here at DAZ, I would rather go to a game specific store and forums for that like I do already.

As for not having a license because they didn't know any better, please. I have been involved in the gaming industry long enough to see the opposite of that, LOL.I am all for a new pricing system based on asset use, I only hope they have a plan in place to enforce it.

I really wish DAZ was more outspoken and had a much bigger voice on the forums. Knowing where they are wanting to go with the company, marketing and plans for the future might go a long way in attracting new customers or even keeping customers that don't have an interest in what DAZ's future plans are. They have had gaming licenses for awhile now and in the last year more and more PAs have created gaming licenses. I have always looked at this as a legal cover your butt scenario since in my experience many wannabe game developers are going to do what they want/use what they want, license or not. Other than the licenses and the lower poly genesis figures, there really isn't much else being done that I can see to make DAZ more game use friendly. I feel if they were serious about users using these assets in a game engine, there were be more robust export options built into DS first and foremost, which there isn't. Morph3d would also either be hosted on this store and/or be more comprehensive it it's offerings and tech, which it isn't. So if DAZ is planning to move forward with gaming assets, I for one would love to know.

If they would just tell us when Dynamic cloth and hair are coming then I would sleep a lot better at night 

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

All I want to know is, does this mean that Daz3D will no longer be a free program...? :/ Also, a licence paid for monthly, quarterly, yearly? 

If so, then I see no point in buying anymore content for the program. Daz was $250 when it was being sold? I'd never afford it. It would also explain why Daz wanted to know about customers incomes. 

Maybe Daz should be more careful with revealing this sort of stuff. It doesn't help to show something like this, to take it down and not say anything about it.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited October 2017

Post edited by Odaa on
  • Why would changing how they handle extended licenses, something that is offered in the store already on a by-shop rather than by-product basis, have anything to do with changing their model for Studio?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570

...hopefully that will not be the case.  Were it not for Daz I probably wouldn't have become involved in this at all as the only other option at the time was to cough up 250$ for Poser along with having to purchase content as well to really make it useful.

If Daz5 goes the "paid for" route, either for a perpetual licence or via subscription, 4.9 is the end of the line for me since I am on a fixed income, and for the latter, my workstation is a standalone with no Net connection.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

There are likely legal reasons for the
    separation of the morph 3D site from this one.

Speculate carefully please.cool

• Let the wild (speculative) rumpus cease. Building castles - or dungeons - in the air is not a fruitful activity.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    kyoto kid said:

...hopefully that will not be the case.  Were it not for Daz I probably wouldn't have become involved in this at all as the only other option at the time was to cough up 250$ for Poser along with having to purchase content as well to really make it useful.

If Daz5 goes the "paid for" route, either for a perpetual licence or via subscription, 4.9 is the end of the line for me since I am on a fixed income, and for the latter, my workstation is a standalone with no Net connection.

This is worrisome for a bundle of reasons, not least for me the fact that I too am on a low fixed income. I dislike subscription schemes intensely. They seem to me to be a way to combat piracy but in doing so they punish the honest along with discouraging the pirates.

I find myself wondering whether the sale of characters and content for G8 has seen diminishing returns. I have bought very little for G8 apart from the initial morphs pack when it was on sale. No clothes, no characters. G3 is fine for my needs. If that pattern is playing out on a large scale then DAZ might be looking to start charging for the software again. Just me speculating but if, for example, they include a dynamic cloth solution but charge $250 for DS5, then I might be more inclined to pay the extra and get Marvelous Designer instead if the DAZ solution turns out to be inferior to MD.

• If they charge for Dynamic cloth in DS5 I’m gonna be the first to buy it, don’t care how we get dynamics as long as we get it and it’s easy to use 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

If they charge for Dynamic cloth in DS5 I’m gonna be the first to buy it, don’t care how we get dynamics as long as we get it and it’s easy to use 

Well, those provisos are crucial. They have provided dynamics (Optitex) but is falls short in so many ways. In my view, it would have to approach the level of MD to attract a purchase price of, say, $250.

• I'm going to laugh a lot if the huge surprise was just licenses.

That would piss a lot of people off, thats not a huge surprise at all lol 

I doubt that's the entire thing. Part of it, as much as I dislike the idea (I don't think it really needs to be so obvious), maybe, but not the sum total of things planned.

• ​Okay, lest people speculate too much, I will leak a little bit of information (but not all of it :)

We have a LOT of cool new functionality rolling out before the end of the year, but for now I am commenting only on the attributes that showed up for a few hours on product pages today:

We are working to roll out functionality that will allow the ability to more granularly purchase additional rights for products beyond what is currently granted by the standard EULA.

We're not taking any rights away.  We have no plans to start charging for Daz Studio.

• DAZ_Steve said:

​Okay, lest people speculate too much, I will leak a little bit of information (but not all of it :)

We have a LOT of cool new functionality rolling out before the end of the year, but for now I am commenting only on the attributes that showed up for a few hours on product pages today:

We are working to roll out functionality that will allow the ability to more granularly purchase additional rights for products beyond what is currently granted by the standard EULA.

We're not taking any rights away.  We have no plans to start charging for Daz Studio.

Can you at least give a yes or no regarding if you are finally adding Dynamic hair and cloth to Daz Studio or will I have to wait till Christmas to find out?

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    DAZ_Steve said:

​Okay, lest people speculate too much, I will leak a little bit of information (but not all of it :)

To be honest, I've been half-expecting this thread to disappear in the same way that the attributes you mention did, so thanks for responding to it. I appreciate that, and understand why you feel you can't comment any further.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775

I think I understand. This will be like certain products I've seen at other stores, where the regular user can buy at usual price but for a few (or sometimes many, it all depends on the item & vendor) dollars more get an Extended License Version if they also want to use their purchase in games. Does not affect anyone who just wants to buy Product X by Vendor Y unless they're using it in a game, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

• I do not think Daz 3D will EVER charge for the base program.

It would be shooting themselves in the foot. The free program is the

doorway into their product line.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited October 2017

Lets keep the speculation at a minimum.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

I'm curious as to how already purchased Indie/Pro licenses will transfer over to this new model. I mean, some customers bought them to cover past and future releases by a DAZ or a specific PA.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380

Daz's licenses works on all Daz listed vendor products regardless of version.