Rock Formation problems

Any experience with using Rock Formations?  https://www.daz3d.com/formations-for-rock-collection  

It shows up in Carrara, but the actual formations (like a cave) don't come in when I try to load it -just a single morphable rock.

In DAZ Studio the actual cave wioll load, but it grinds the program to a half with the 50K version - and even the 5K version slows the program down so much that it's basically unworkable.

Hoping I'm just doing something wrong and would welcome any advice/suggestions from someone else who's used this in DAZ Studio and/or Carrara.

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited September 2017

This is one of those props that uses Instances, and I think they only put the pieces together in DS, and yes it does grind to a halt in DS. The base system advertises it uses 7 million poly base meshes.  When I bought it, like you I thought it would load as a scene, eg like Rock in the Forest by Andrey Pestryakov  but clue for me should have been in the huge list of components that just load willy nilly in Carrara.  I was going to try and save and export to Carrara, but it takes too long.  Still, I use them, but for modular rocks and components, I prefer ShaaraMuse's stuff on the other site.  MUCH cheaper and easy to use and mix and match the different products and components.

yes Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

it would be a good exercise to create some organic rocks and replicate them into a cave similar to that one cool

Hi Stezza... I create caves from cliff-face or hills/mountains by attaching 'tubes' that I can form, then texture with what I have in my shader library, both in images and Carrara shaders. (Dart has some great ones I use in other places besides Badlands and his caves...which are awesome.

I definitely would not use as many as are in this conglomeration! I don't know how to count the instances in DS but there must be hundreds of those rocks. Not actually very realistic to have them all the same. And in my product library blurb it says you can swap things around using different rocks or minerals, but I found it impossible to work with the scene, move things around or add anything like plants, even in DS and I have a decent CPU. 

Maybe its purpose was to allow for earthquakes or cave-ins.  It is also very expensive as you must first buy the rocks, then buy what is actually just the instancing arrangement. You are not actually buying caves or terrains in scenes which is a bit misleading if you don't know about DS instancing. I would have asked for a refund when I first bought them end of December, but I just filed them away and forgot about them. Silly me... but if someone has just bought them and having trouble, I would ask for a refund as it just does not perform, even in DS. 

Sorry, just my 2p. 

indecision Silene

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Damn, I bought this too when it was on sale, I hadn't had a chance to load it or anything, sucks to hear it depends on Studio instancing, guess I won't be able to use it  :(

Jonstark, I didn't understand instancing, not being a DS user, and thought...well, I will load it in DS and export. Doh? Nothing to export except one lonely rock.   sad Silene

• you can use Totte's ( Code 66) script to convert the instances to props

I found it very handy on many sets

https://www.daz3d.com/instances-to-objects

edited September 2017
    th3Digit said:

you can use Totte's ( Code 66) script to convert the instances to props

If it's just one prop... and it has a lot of instances... will it slow DS down more than the instancing?  indecision Silene

ETA:  They are all the same object in a pattern/cave plan, ground plan, will the objects be in the right order?

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • SileneUK said:
    th3Digit said:

you can use Totte's ( Code 66) script to convert the instances to props

If it's just one prop... and it has a lot of instances... will it slow DS down more than the instancing?  indecision Silene

ETA:  They are all the same object in a pattern/cave plan, ground plan, will the objects be in the right order?

well there is no point in running the script if you are rendering in DAZ studio

this is more for export to other apps like Carrara cheeky

Oh I am not rendering in DS at all. I have never rendered anything in DS... So for me, it's not the rendering that slows things down, it's after you open the bleeding file and it clunks together and you are looking at the 'cave' assembly. It's so weird and unweildy you cannot zoom or rotate or anything. Nevemind add plants or other items to the scene. It is so heavy that I would wonder how the script would even run as you cannot even click on the tool bar menu.

It just seizes up DS and I have to start Task Manager to shut it down. After 3x, I gave up. surprise Silene

• SileneUK said:

Oh I am not rendering in DS at all. I have never rendered anything in DS... So for me, it's not the rendering that slows things down, it's after you open the bleeding file and it clunks together and you are looking at the 'cave' assembly. It's so weird and unweildy you cannot zoom or rotate or anything. Nevemind add plants or other items to the scene. It is so heavy that I would wonder how the script would even run as you cannot even click on the tool bar menu.

It just seizes up DS and I have to start Task Manager to shut it down. After 3x, I gave up. surprise Silene

yeah I do not have that cave but having DS in bounding box veiw might help

Might try that... not sure if I will bite with the script purchase, but will look to see if I can change the view. Too bad it's not possible to do something to the file in the DSON Editor....  indecision Silene

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Stezza said:

it would be a good exercise to create some organic rocks and replicate them into a cave similar to that one cool

yes pretty easy to do , and funner than buying something that doesnt work

• the irony is not lost on me

for years DAZ studio users looked at awe at HowieFarkes and other Carrara replicator heavy scenes and bemoaned the fact they could not use them in studio.

Now the worm has turned ......

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

carrara is born to rock rocks smiley