My digital comic book composed of DAZ products!

Comments

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited April 2013

Well, I would argue that the "sounds" in those panels help the reader follow the movement of the character.

Bluntly? They don't always do that, and they should never have to. Motion should stand on its own. Sound caters to another one of the senses. The rare exception might be for something occurring off-panel.

And now something good: I've only just now started to realize how much I enjoy the way you handle Harmony's body language. She comes off as the shy quiet type even in single panels without any other context.

EDIT: ...Destiny. Her name is Destiny. :shut:

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

Well, I would argue that the "sounds" in those panels help the reader follow the movement of the character.

Understand.
    The sound and motion lines, two things are different, but both go together!
    for example, when this car at high speed applies the lines of motion to simulate the movement (action) of the vehicle, and simultaneously applies the word vruuummmm!!! to the engine roar.
    the effects of lines shown in my images were made in gimp, and part in photoshop.
  • galactica1981galactica1981 Posts: 1,250
    edited December 1969

Harmony? Do you mean Destiny? Or Cleo?

edited December 1969

Harmony? Do you mean Destiny? Or Cleo?

Destiny. I'm absolutely terrible with names. I still don't even have most of my coworkers straight. Knew I should have opened the books again. :red:
    edited April 2013

Destiny is written to be a mysterious character. I have a long-term story arc planned out, and there will be a number of surprises, some of them involving her.

Scene_16_-_016.png
    1074 x 897 - 1M
    Post edited by galactica1981 on
    edited December 1969

Let me add this:
    scenes impact (kicks, punches, punching in general) should be shown as an action that "has" happened. you only see the reflection of what happened. Both are to be removed from the center point of impact
    Let me explain: in a fight a character gives a kick or a punch, and the image below is your fist or foot stuck on his opponent, it will kill all the power and strength of action. Both the character and his opponent will appear to be frozen! Statues Go look!
    the pictures below, I used M3 to explain.

5.jpg
    900 x 517 - 124K
    4.jpg
    900 x 517 - 114K
    2.jpg
    900 x 517 - 126K
    3.jpg
    900 x 517 - 83K
    1.jpg
    900 x 517 - 106K
    edited December 1969

In pictures 1 and 2, I show how "not" works, when they are still in the same place with the foot and fist still stuck in the opponent.
    the remaining images, see that action has already happened, and the opponent was thrown out of the impact zone.
    This added motion lines, and onomatopoeia conveys the strength and express an action!!!!!

edited December 1969

The second one is actually very nice as far as the action goes. For a 'not' render you have outdone yourself. ;)

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited April 2013

Let me add this:
    scenes impact (kicks, punches, punching in general) should be shown as an action that "has" happened. you only see the reflection of what happened. Both are to be removed from the center point of impact
    Let me explain: in a fight a character gives a kick or a punch, and the image below is your fist or foot stuck on his opponent, it will kill all the power and strength of action. Both the character and his opponent will appear to be frozen! Statues Go look!
    the pictures below, I used M3 to explain.

While this may be a good general rule there are ways to break it and still create a powerful lively image, although it requires more finesse. Showing the actual impact might make a nice finisher shot if done well. I do think it may look out of place used repeatedly in the middle of combat. Here is a great example, using motion blur, having the hand press into the stomach, the poses, expressions, etc all make this piece really work. No frozen statues here. This is a DAZ render with a lot of post work by SnowSultan.

http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/art/And-Stay-Down-lost-version-afro-fix-259687645

Post edited by Swawa3D on
  • RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited April 2013

Where's the bruises, blood & guts ?

Not so sure that 2D comic effects blends all that well in to 3D.

Post edited by RorrKonn on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:

Action heroes don't get bruised unless you're Bruce Willis. Then you get glassed, broken, beaten and left for dead.

Seriously though, I've never really known a time where adding blood to something made it better, except for Mortal Kombat and only then because the finishing moves were what made it stand out from the crowd. If you can tell your story without them, then adding it just seems superfluous and silly. I've known comics where characters were even decapitated without actually showing it. A clever use of camera angles and dialogue allowed them to avoid needing to show it in all its grisly details.

It depends on your audience I suppose. Some cater to younger audiences (I'm not talking little children here, just younger) and avoid showing anything overtly violent whilst some are more obviously aimed at adults with a morbid tour of the body's inner anatomy thrown at you every other page.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:

If you really feel your image needs these, check out Marieah's line of injury products, particularly Gore-Dom:

http://www.daz3d.com/gore-dom-for-daz-studio

And the L.I.E. Wound Pack:

http://www.daz3d.com/lie-wound-pack

edited December 1969

Here 2 more comics mine. totally handmade.
    at the time I made these in poster size, to participate in a contest of cartoons of my city.
    the story of the little pig is inspired by my real piglet that I had at the time. her name was Tuica.

55.jpg
    900 x 1238 - 381K
    33.jpg
    900 x 1238 - 583K
    edited December 1969

It looks more realistic.

Stars TV show Spartacus.

Luis Royo's decapitation.

Even death of superman had blood.
    The black blood was 2nd,3rd,4th editions
    First edition red blood.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:
    It looks more realistic.

Stars TV show Spartacus.

First edition red blood.

Oh, you'll probably also want this:
    http://www.daz3d.com/severed-man

And maybe this:
    http://www.daz3d.com/good-as-dead-2-bullit

and
    http://www.daz3d.com/lie-wound-makeup-artist

And for postwork (or hand-tweaking textures):
    http://www.daz3d.com/rons-blood or http://www.daz3d.com/rons-horror-bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/gnbd-scars-stitches
    http://www.daz3d.com/blood-gore-pack-i
    http://www.daz3d.com/blood-gore-pack-ii

and of course
    http://www.daz3d.com/anatomy-starter-bundle (on sale now!)

for innards and exposed bones.

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited April 2013

I know its hard to show your work proudly and feel like everyone is saying, "this is how you should change that," but having read the comments I have to say everyone is being really constructive and trying to help. That said, and in the spirit of constructive criticism, I want to echo the sentiments of those who say you're comic will only benefit from using more detailed lighting.

You are making a purely visual product here, so how it looks goes a long way to its success and the impact it has on your readers. I don't know what system you have or if you're using daz 3 or 4.5 but in switching from 3 to 4.5 myself, my render times have dramatically decreased. I know it can call for patience some times (and there are some workarounds to make things go more quickly. For example, if you're using Uber lighting, or Lantios lights, both of which I highly recommend for ease and excellence, turn raytracing off on everyone's hair props and render times will decrease significantly, with no appreciable quality loss) but the results are astounding. The headlamp on the camera puts basic shadows on figures.

There is just no substitute for at least 3 lights; key, fill and backhlight. You can use a prefab setup like Lantios for exteriors and really you'll need to do almost no tweaking. But if the Uber lighting takes too long on your system, try setting up 3 lights yourself. One key light with shadows on, from an angle useful to where you want shadows to fall, with a bumped up specularity setting. A fill light at 50% or lower to lightly illuminate the unlit angle that remains. And a backlight from almost behind the figures with a color tone.

It doesn't take that much time to place, or render, with this simple set up but the results will be astonishing. I too used to simply use the ehadland when i started thinking, eh that looks ok -until i really spent time messing with lights only to discover that's what brings those carefully posed scenes to life. Its night and day.

Here's a before (headlamp only) and after (3 light setup) example. The render time was not noticeably longer but the final product has more depth. Give it a try. Its not as hard as you think, doesnt consume much time to give scenes a basic set up, and wont kill your render times if its a simple set up --and you will soon love it.

el2.jpg
    1004 x 1004 - 325K
    el1.jpg
    1004 x 1004 - 358K
    Post edited by Ademnus on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:
    It looks more realistic.

Stars TV show Spartacus.

First edition red blood.

Not everyone strives for realism in a comic, and there are plenty of examples of good comics that don't use or require it. Not saying it can't add to a scene, because it can depending on the impact you're trying to give to a scene. However, holding back on the blood can make it all the more shocking or have a greater influence when it finally IS used in a scene.
    edited December 1969

Which Lantios lights product would you recommend? And how do you turn off raytracing? I have no idea how to do that.

edited April 2013

You turn off raytracing in the settings of the individual lights. You can also just turn off "Cast Shadows' for any hair and usually get a good speed boost. Transparency can be killer with raytracing.

Post edited by agent unawares on
    edited April 2013

Good cinematography is essential ,no doubt.
    And yes we absolutely need to have killer cinematography.
    But how many comics with killer cinematography failed ,why ?

About all of the medieval shows, movies fail.
    But yet with all the problems that plagued TV's Stars Spartacus .Spartacus was very successful. why ?

Of all the starving Artist why is Luis Royo so successful ?

When I try to succeed at something I look around and see who's succeeded and ask, Why did they succeed when so many others failed ?

Post edited by RorrKonn on
  • Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

Luis Royo is successful because he is a talented artist, creating highly captivating images, weather they make use of blood or not. I have a few books by Royo and very few of the images in them make heavy use of blood, most actually have no blood at all. There are tons of examples of great, successful works and artists that don't use blood. Blood can be powerful but it also can limit the audience, be overused and it's sophomoric to just throw it into everything without actually fitting the style and setting. It all depends on the artists intention, vision and target audience. I also agree that if it is used rarely in key scenes it can be more powerful. In any case I see it as far more of a personal choice where discussing the formal elements like the lighting are more universal and productive.

edited December 1969

I think why Royo is so successful is he makes you believe.
    He's scenes make since ,even thou you know the monsters are not real you still believe they are.
    If a scene does not call for blood then he does not just throw it in there for no reson.
    If a scene does call for blood or a headless fool ,then it's there.
    No one would ever accuse Royo of being scared.

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

Personally, I could not stand Spartacus. I didn't get pass the first episode.

I looked forward to watching the first season on Netflix after hearing so much about it. So disappointing. Bad writing, mediocre acting, horrible music. I didn't get disgusted with it until I realize that the story was nothing more that a vehicle to show awfully done hyper gore and really bad sex scenes. The only good that came out of Spartacus was StudioArtVartanian's M4/genesis character.

The reason why Spartacus was a success is because HBO turned an epic story about a man's struggle with himself and the empire that made him into an one hour MTV Music video.

The reason that Royo is a successful artist is because he mastered the medium of his art, first. Then he painted what everyone loves to look at, Half naked women in precarious positions. And he does it beautifully.

edited April 2013

I tried some changing one of my pictures with different lighting. I used the GIS Lights product. I have the original and two new versions. To be honest, I don't like the way either of them turned out. Would anyone have any ideas about the lighting here?

5_Cover_final.png
    1127 x 896 - 2M
    5_Cover_Alternate_001.jpg
    1129 x 897 - 607K
    5_Cover_alternate.jpg
    1129 x 897 - 684K
    Post edited by galactica1981 on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited December 1969

I just looked up Lightwave and it costs $1500! Wow...

No kiddin', we have it. And as with any of the more expensive programs, it offers a lot more and has a steeper learning curve. There's so many tabs and options- it's overwhelming. Dan Ablan (3dgarage.com) has videos and books (amazon, the version 9 book is the best.)

I think one of the best tips so far is that when you get a good light setup, all it takes is minor tweaking to re-use it. I understand that you want the lighting similar, like a trademark of your work- so if you get a good setup for say, daytime corridor shots, another for evening, then day/evening shots in different locations, you can re-use them. Many people comment on the Lantios lights, I have them but haven't gotten that far yet. :) http://www.daz3d.com/lantios-daylight-nighttime-bundle I apologize if this has been mentioned, I am wading through the pages of this thread and had to reply to the LIghtWave post. I really don't think you want to jump in with THAT if you don't spend a lot of time learning DAZ lighting.

But heads up to everyone, Academic Superstore has it for under $400 if I recall, if you're a student or teacher.
    Now, going BACK to where I was.

Cathie

edited December 1969

What anyone know what kind of lighting from Lantios would work best for a sci-fi setting (inside a spaceship, for example?

edited December 1969

Here is another photo where I use a spotlight. There is a point light in the background, but it doesn't seem to show up. I like this one better than any of the other alternate shots, but there isn't really much difference between this one and the original. It's just brighter.

5_Cover_Alternate_003.jpg
    1129 x 897 - 704K
    edited December 1969

Here is another shot. I think this is the best one yet. I used a spotlight in front but lowered the intensity a little. There is also a distant light pointed towards the backs of the characters.

5_Cover_Alternate_005.jpg
    1129 x 897 - 675K
    edited December 1969

Don't think student versions are actually licensed for commercial use.