BRYCE RENDERING CHALLENGE Inaugural Challenge NEW BEGINNINGS.

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,000
    edited December 1969

Just saw this thread. All the WIP are awesome. I hope to get an entry into too.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

@ Horo- That is a cool way of thinking about it, and nice to know others have the patience issue too :cheese:

@ GussNemo - Yeah I tried some of the tutorials when I first started but for some reason it didn't click. Then I came back to it when I got a chance to get Horo and David's Bryce Tutorials and it was like a light bulb went off. Thanks for the suggestions :-) and I was considering a sky change but was on the fence on if it was the right move or not. Also thanks for the kind words.

@ Chohole - Wow, that's what i was looking for. Quick Question how did you do the snow inside?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

JK0011 said:
    @ Horo- That is a cool way of thinking about it, and nice to know others have the patience issue too :cheese:

@ GussNemo - Yeah I tried some of the tutorials when I first started but for some reason it didn't click. Then I came back to it when I got a chance to get Horo and David's Bryce Tutorials and it was like a light bulb went off. Thanks for the suggestions :-) and I was considering a sky change but was on the fence on if it was the right move or not. Also thanks for the kind words.

@ Chohole - Wow, that's what i was looking for. Quick Question how did you do the snow inside?

I used a prim either a cylinder or a rounded edge cylinder and flattened it then turned it on itd edge, fitted it into the globe behing my goddess figure and applied a volumetric snow mat. (there is one in the Pro materials) altered the repeat a little. Plays havoc with render times, but does look good. You could even duplicate the sphere and make it a tad smaller and apply the snow mat to that, to get a real snow globe look.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@JK0011: When I create something I usually end up with several iterations before settling on the final image. I'll change this or that, save each one, try something else, save that, and eventually get something I like that fits with the overall creation. And I've even had inspirations while the final render is taking place and stopped the render to make the changes. Thing is, don't be afraid to make changes. You might surprise yourself one time with a result you didn't expect but looks wonderful.

edited December 1969

Yes I agree. One of the best features of Bryce is the incremental saves, so you never need lose anything and can always go back steps.

edited December 1969

Bryce saves incrementally as long as the first saved image is numbered.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,123
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Bryce saves incrementally as long as the first saved image is numbered.

And has no zero. If you have a file name myfile01, the incremental save will make it to myfile2. A bug reported already with Bryce 5.
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

I hope this is the right place for my entry....I call it cabin by the lake...took about 3hrs to render have used davids land material and some trees from xfrog the cabin was a freebie I just changed the materials..I hope you like it ...everyone elses work is really great!!!.....coments are welcome and appreciated Thanks Trish

house_in_the_woods13.jpg
    1490 x 743 - 979K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I hope this is the right place for my entry....I call it cabin by the lake...took about 3hrs to render have used davids land material and some trees from xfrog the cabin was a freebie I just changed the materials..I hope you like it ...everyone elses work is really great!!!.....coments are welcome and appreciated Thanks Trish

fine work - keep it up

edited December 1969

@bullit: That's a nice image.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,000
    edited December 1969

Very nicely done Trish... very serene, a place where I would love to live.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Bullit...yeah, love the lighting on the roof.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,101
    edited December 1969

bullit35744 I really like the image.
    Well done !

edited December 1969

This reminds me, I really need to put up a "Clean" thread for people to just upload the finished images to. :red:

edited December 1969

@bullit35744 - two things that bug me a bit. The first is the cottage which looks like a picture. Try to rotate it a bit so we can see a bit more from a second side. The other is the black shadow on the left railing. If you can select just this railing (or create a 2D face with the same material and align it over the black part), and give it a tiny bit of ambiance, 5 or 10% at most. Just to break the black. Otherwise, really, this is a very nice scene!

edited December 1969

Thanks to everyone for the kind coments and good luck to all in the contest...Trish

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited April 2013

Horo's HDRI provides some light the rest is the Bryce sun. The scene is comprised of one terrain 1024x1024 and an infinite water plane. No postwork.

Edit - oh if you want to know how the curvature filtering was setup on the terrain, I used this approach Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Curvature filtering fix for terrains - by David Brinnen

Island2_v2_m4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 815K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Great use of the Simplon sky dome! Great rocky island, too. Lighting is spot on.

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Phew, these past couple of weeks were exhausting! So much so that I've not touched Bryce a single time! Which means my second WIP is pretty much still a WIP. Will try to finish it during this week!

Also, great work from everyone :)

edited December 1969

@David: Great results.

I tried my hand at another landscape, a shot of a canyon. The terrain material is from Pro Materials, and I tried two different water materials to see how each affected the overall scene.

Canyon_River_757_x_758_4_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Canyon_River_757_x_758_3_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Nice shot. Neither of the waters makes justice to the rock walls. Often forgotten - water is colourless and transparent. Reflection happens with Refraction (133), some specularity may be due at times. I usually start with this simple water material http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3039 and go from there.

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thanks for the link. What I had in mind was a rushing water, like I've seen in real life, which isn't always clear due to silt and such. I tried other clear water material that had movement, but they usually ended up looking like duplicates of the right side canyon wall. Both of these images took just over an hour to render using the water material in each image, much better than the 3-4 hours using other water material that had movement. I'll give the material you linked to a try, but am wondering how to give it the feel of movement if it's too still.

edited December 1969

Guss; I really like the second one beautiful colors it has a nice feel to it!!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Thanks for the link. What I had in mind was a rushing water, like I've seen in real life, which isn't always clear due to silt and such. I tried other clear water material that had movement, but they usually ended up looking like duplicates of the right side canyon wall. Both of these images took just over an hour to render using the water material in each image, much better than the 3-4 hours using other water material that had movement. I'll give the material you linked to a try, but am wondering how to give it the feel of movement if it's too still.

add a rock or 2 and put some foam in .

edited April 2013

Have you tried any of David's water textures from the Pro materials, used on a terrain rather than a plane, to get the movement. "Breakers" is one that could work.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Or Combers. Right - if the water is not still or only slow moving, it needs another material than if it is a wild thing.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

My updated render for the contest just completed, woohoo! I'm itching to upload it somewhere.

@David, I like that terrain, it looks very good.

@GussNemo, I actually prefer the greener color of the water on the bottom rather than the more colorless water on the top image, except that it seems a little too bright shiny green to me, like there is something metallic and green underwaer (personal preference). A little more noise or something in the stone might be nice.

edited April 2013

@bullit: Thank you. Of the two images, I'm partial to that one too.

@bigH: Both foreground terrains have mounds, the right one raised enough to produce the rocks on the right side of the image. Perhaps more further along might also look good. As to the foam, Yo no se, I wouldn't know how to add foam.

@Pam: I did try a few of David's water material in the Pro Material section, but the render times were anywhere from 3-4 hours. Compared to the 1-1 1/2 hour for those two images. And the others I did using Horo's link. I think one of the images I'm going to post is done on a terrain using the material from Horo's link. It didn't provide any more rolling water that I was after, but it could be because I didn't chose the best terrain for the job.

@Horo: I made several more iterations of the canyon using the your material, which gives the impression of slow moving water. I even tweaked it a bit in the DTE and ended up with a material that gives the impression of silt flowing down the river. Tried again to get a more rapid looking material and did come up with a material that looks more rapid, but not what I was aiming for. Pam's suggestion, if I use the right terrain, may get me closer to what I'm after..

@Sean: Thanks. Yeah, it is a might too shiny green, yet, for a first that actually looks worth a darn it's not too bad. I'd not thought of tweaking the stone, but it might be worth looking into. These were rendered at 64 RPP, so it might be worth the time to use 144.

Horo gave a link for water material he made, and since I'm short of material, I grabbed it. It has more movement with less color but that's not a bad thing as it lets what's under the surface show a bit more. The first image is his material before I tweaked it a bit, as I did in the next two images. I also changed from a water slab to a water plane, which didn't change render times. And Bryce 4 gave me another idea I'd never tried, so a cloud is in the last image. Two of the images seem alike, but the difference is that one has a higher water plane. This removed the growth on the left and shows less of the rocks on the right.

Canyon_River_757_x_758_10_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Canyon_River_757_x_758_9_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Canyon_River_757_x_758_6_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

I initially had a large drop at the front of the foreground mountain. But as things go, I reduced that drop off, lowered the water slab a bit, raised the foreground mountain a bit, and repositioned the camera. Again, comments are gladly welcomed.

I think the camera angle works well compared to the original where the mountain was centered in the view. It is much more pleasing to the eye - it's a common compositional set up i.e. putting the main object slightly to the right or left of the image rather than dead center.

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

I also wonder where the final judging thread is, or will it just be added at the end?

Here's what I have at the moment, unless people think there should be changes to it. I was worried about the deadline, but actually with the advance notice it came together fairly well and didn't take a week to render each time, which helps. (That and I have WAY too much free time right now.)
    I was inspired to create an alien scene, hence the strange mostly blue plants and other oddities, with the "new beginnings" theme being the stranded spacefarer managing to create a new home here out of very little.
    Are the clouds too dark? They started out whiter, but there were washed-out bits that looked odd. I couldn't get a spectacularly good balance between too light, too dark, to thin, weird edges, and layers. I think this is ok, but I'm worried it might not be good enough.
    Go ahead and pick it apart. I may or may not agree and change anything, or I might totally agree and make changes.

Great image! I love that it contains so many objects without a feeling of chaos or disharmony. That's not easy to do! I don't think the clouds look too dark at all.