Is Gen 4 on its way out?

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited December 1969

...or, as I found out, in some cases, none.

I have noticed this too which is why I have GenX and just invested in Sickle Yield's Rigging and Morph system (so I can use Gen3/Gen4 clothing that has long skirts & coats as well as footwear which do not work well, or at all, with the autofit tool).

I now check all product descriptions as well as file lists and if it looks like there are no fitting, style, or movement morphs I won't buy it. Not about to spend a good chunk of my very limited resources on something I have to struggle with to get to fit or move correctly.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    Okay my opinion on a trend I see....Alot of Genesis conforming clothes comes with far fewer adjustment/movement morphs than the Gen4 clothes did.... to me it seems like some venders are cutting corners and there is less control for the user when posing than for Gen4 clothes.... I know there are tools in Daz Studio 4.5 to help but still you get far fewer sliders with some of the new Genesis clothing.

The difference is that with Gen4 stuff, you absolutely could not get by without those adjustment morphs. With Genesis stuff, you can add morphs easier (fewer polygons to move around) you can re-rig for added functionality... you can do a whole lot of stuff that Generation 4 just could NOT do! That's why I'm loath to get Gen4 clothing unless it's something I absolutely MUST have. It's also why I keep telling people that, in MY opinion, Generation 4 is simply obsolete.

edited April 2013

...I could maybe see that for 1.99$ PC and some of the less expensive Value Category items, but something that costs nearly 30$ (or more) shouldn't require one to create the morphs themselves particularly as not everyone is up on or into scripting and/or modelling.

I have Genesis clothing that does include morph adjustments for fit, style,and movement so they can be included in the package.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited April 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I could maybe see that for 1.99$ PC and some of the less expensive Value Category items, but something that costs nearly 30$ (or more) shouldn't require one to create the morphs themselves particularly as not everyone is up on or into scripting and/or modelling.

I have Genesis clothing that does include morph adjustments for fit, style,and movement so they can be included in the package.

Yes, they can, and it's left up to the individual artist whether to do so.

This is a very big area where the customer trains the company. As long as most customers keep buying things that look cool in one pose on one morph because the textures look great and they didn't check the feature list, things will keep coming out that are like that.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

That is basically what I am doing, only purchasing from those vendors from whom I know morphs get added - and by that I don't mean shape morphs only. Certainly those morphless items can and are looking good in their default shape, but they limit what I can do with them. Those clothes can be produced mass production like and during "March Madness" it had a bit of that "assembly line" feel from certain vendors.

So when I see the "What's included" list featuring 4 .duf items and nothing else, then the product simply doesn't get bought.

edited April 2013

Renpatsu said:
    That is basically what I am doing, only purchasing from those vendors from whom I know morphs get added - and by that I don't mean shape morphs only. Certainly those morphless items can and are looking good in their default shape, but they limit what I can do with them. Those clothes can be produced mass production like and during "March Madness" it had a bit of that "assembly line" feel from certain vendors.

So when I see the "What's included" list featuring 4 .duf items and nothing else, then the product simply doesn't get bought.

...like the Elven Dress (that is part of the Fantasy sale). I really like it's look, but seeing no morphs listed, it is a "no go".
  • ColemanRughColemanRugh Posts: 511
    edited April 2013

Will old versions DAZ people work in DAZ4.5 ?

Like vicki 2/3/4... Mike2/3/4.. ?

I'm a long time Poser user and the Genesis clothes that have been coming out the past year look really fabulous. But, I'd like to be able to use old characters I made with new Genesis characters.

Do old characters work ok in the new DAZ Studio?

Thanks in advance for helpful answers!

Post edited by ColemanRugh on
    edited April 2013

...just did a scene with AIko3, the Mentha Piperata character, and Hippie Chick for A3 clothing (which uses one of the really old installers) in 4.5 and everything worked fine.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I'm a long time Poser user and the Genesis clothes that have been coming out the past year look really fabulous. But, I'd like to be able to use old characters I made with new Genesis characters.

They'll need materials adjustment. Otherwise .cr2 figures work just fine in the program, and we do indeed see renders with mixed character types.

edited April 2013

...actually I used everything straight "out of the box" (save for the hair which I had to turn the ray tracing & occlusion off so it would render in less than five hours) and all the MATs came out fine for me.

edited December 1969

Thanks Kyoto Kid and Sickleyield!

The Genesis clothing sets have tempted me more than anything else. They seem to drape better than Poser conforming clothes... at least in the promos.

edited December 1969

OH:

Another reason why Gen 4 is (IN MY OPINION) obsolete:

You CANNOT re-rig a Gen4 anything and expect to add morphs from the pre-rigged version. With Gen5, YOU CAN! :)

I could rig Genesis hair that previously had only a standard rig, and give it all the morphs it had in the original. :)

edited April 2013

...do you have the Gen3/Gen4 body shapes for Genesis and/or GenX? The clothing will not work on the older figures without mixing them with Genesis.

True you cannot re-rig Gen4 (or Gen3) clothing, but it still works with the right tools. Can't afford to replace nearly four years of clothing content a lot of it which has not (and probably will not be) updated for Genesis.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...do you have the Gen3/Gen4 body shapes for Genesis and/or GenX? The clothing will not work on the older figures by themselves.

Oh, I meant like I have Mike2 and Mike3 fully clothed characters I use in comics and I'd like to use those old generation characters along with new Genesis characters.

Like Sickleyield said, I figure I'd have to wipe out the Poser skin shaders on the old characters, but I wasn't sure all characters in DAZ4.5 had to be weight mapped to be able to use inside Daz Studio

edited December 1969

Any figure designed for Poser you can expect to work in DAZ Studio (with the exception of some morph injection files...)

Keep THIS in mind, however, when you import a Poser file (Cr2 etc) this is NOT native to DAZ Studio, and you should save it to a DAZ Studio native format in order for it to load faster and for files to save better.

edited December 1969

...do you have the Gen3/Gen4 body shapes for Genesis and/or GenX? The clothing will not work on the older figures by themselves.

Oh, I meant like I have Mike2 and Mike3 fully clothed characters I use in comics and I'd like to use those old generation characters along with new Genesis characters./quote]

They all work. See my last post.

edited December 1969

Ah - I see. That's good to know :)

Thank you very much!

edited December 1969

...they don't need to be weight mapped to work by themselves. Below is the AIko3 pic I mentioned about. No conversions were made.

...just that Gen5 (Genesis) clothing will not work on an older generation figure without either completely re-rigging it, or having the "legacy" body shape(s) for Genesis that can be dialed in..

mentha_city_light_haze.jpg
    900 x 675 - 484K
    edited December 1969

Great character!

Thanks a lot for your help!

edited December 1969

....thank you.

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

I've seen amazing work done with various generations of figures and with various programs so to each their own. It's about finding what best fits your process. Personally I find genesis essential for it's speed and versatility as I love to mix and match tons of various content.

As an example check out "Supersuit Tips & Tricks" where the supersuit is used as a deformation tool for other clothes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO9AQlzdrfg

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I personally think that any tool has a use. This tool does not work here so I'll use this one that will. It's really that simple in my point of view.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I personally think that any tool has a use. This tool does not work here so I'll use this one that will. It's really that simple in my point of view.

Well said Jade, I happen to agree. That's why I have more than one 3D app for posing and rendering, more than one 3D app for modelling, and more than one 2D app for postwork. Each has it's own use in my workflow.
    edited December 1969

wow, Miss B, that would be tough for me! I have trouble dealing with only one render engine, and I'm only now getting into Blender (because Hex crashes too much!)... dealing with more than one app per type is... daunting in my mind.

edited December 1969

I agree that every tool has it's use... However every tool that exists may not have a viable use for every individual. Or the resources required to acquire and learn a new tool could potentially take away more than you gain from it. On the other hand people may lose countless hours and limit their potential because they fear trying a new tool. That is why I said it’s about finding what best fits your process. I'm addicted to learning new things so I have to really fight to keep it in check or it will get in the way of creating. There is so much I want to learn and create if I had a million years it would not be long enough. So I have to be selective and focus.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Swawa3D said:
    I've seen amazing work done with various generations of figures and with various programs so to each their own. It's about finding what best fits your process. Personally I find genesis essential for it's speed and versatility as I love to mix and match tons of various content.

As an example check out "Supersuit Tips & Tricks" where the supersuit is used as a deformation tool for other clothes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO9AQlzdrfg

Wow!! This was new to me, I learned something new here. Thanks! I've had some problems, but with this tip I can work around many issues.

edited December 1969

Wow!! This was new to me, I learned something new here. Thanks! I've had some problems, but with this tip I can work around many issues.

Your welcome. I knew that you could fit clothes to other clothes, I've done that to layer them. For some reason I just never thought of doing it with the supersuit until I saw this video. There were a few times I did custom morphs in an external app when I could have just used the supersuit to get the same effect in a fraction of the time.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Swawa3D said:

Your welcome. I knew that you could fit clothes to other clothes, I've done that to layer them. For some reason I just never thought of doing it with the supersuit until I saw this video. There were a few times I did custom morphs in an external app when I could have just used the supersuit to get the same effect in a fraction of the time.
    I love the supersuit, but I'll admit until I'd seen the video I didn't think to layer the basic suit over it for additional details. My remake of daydreaming Sadie uses this technique to apply her 'S' symbol on the chest. It has a lot of other applications as well though such as layering it over a figure and using a ghost shader to make the figure more ethereal, or a fire shader to turn them into the human torch.

Well said Jade, I happen to agree. That's why I have more than one 3D app for posing and rendering, more than one 3D app for modelling, and more than one 2D app for postwork. Each has it's own use in my workflow.
    I'm the same. I still find myself using K4 regularly because, gosh darn it, those dresses just won't fit on Genesis try as I might. I even used the nifty Texture Converter to create duplicates of the Victoria 4 interjection subsurface maps so I could use them with K4 (along with a duplicated, altered script so I can load them in exactly the same way). I've done similar things with other new V4 texture maps so that I could reuse resources on the little one too.

Only problem is I haven't yet found many M4 maps which would work. They're usually way too rugged or hairy to use on children, so my boys will have to use girly skin for now, unless they've gone through puberty at the age of seven. At least there's the Young Teens skin which works reasonably well.

Speaking of older characters though, I went back through my Poser content and dug up some of the characters to compare alongside the Daz versions. They're kind of ugly aren't they? A lot of the time I see Poser being used it's almost exclusively the Generation 4 characters, and it's not hard to see why. Have Poser models improved much with the newer releases? The last one I owned was Poser Pro 2010.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

Swawa3D said:

Impressive!, tried yesterday and it works, thanks for share!
    edited December 1969

Speaking of older characters though, I went back through my Poser content and dug up some of the characters to compare alongside the Daz versions. They're kind of ugly aren't they? A lot of the time I see Poser being used it's almost exclusively the Generation 4 characters, and it's not hard to see why. Have Poser models improved much with the newer releases? The last one I owned was Poser Pro 2010.

I think it's more about a flattened learning curve than about real improvement in figures. I saw some pretty amazing stuff using Posette 3 and 4. But back in those days, before Victoria 1, you had a core group of Poser users who put enormous amounts of energy into everything Poser.

I have none of my old content save what I had posted on Turbosquid, so I can't compare what I had back then to what I have now. But I would love to see someone, anyone, do a "progression" render of their old figures along side their current ones... or more accurately, characters... it would have been cool, for instance, to be able to show my own Samantha from version 1 to version 7... :)