September 2017 – DAZ 3D New User Challenge – Focus/DOF

Comments

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited September 2017
    Chameo said:

I think I may be happy with where this one is at now... though I'm thinking it needs a water plane between the ground and the city limits and something in that big, empty space in the middle..

Blue moon? surprise

The idea with the moon is good, Keep it!!  But he looks to big and the blue color don't feel right. 

The river is a genial touch. He generates a deep and lets me know, that the group is wide outside the city.

A thing that irritates me is the light that comes from the left side and fall on the dancer's legs, the tent and even the city. Normally I would say, that's the moonlight and it fits well, but with the moon in her back it looks like there must be another light source.

Post edited by daybird on
  • HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    edited September 2017
    Did you use a HDRI for the Moon and the backround? If yes, try to rotate it, to check if those additional Shadows were cast by it. Or if an emissive Shader is messing here.
    Post edited by HighElf on
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    edited September 2017

Spent a lot of time trying to rotate the dome as the lighting is provided by the default HDRI is my scene, but could not manage to get the face to not be in shadow, and with a five minute or so time before the render starts not the easiest scene to test this with. So I just added a spotlight instead angel.

As well as the spotlight the DoF has been shifted to be on the main character's face more and also had the F/Stop reduced a bit.

Only rendered to 50% as this is not a final version.

The boot in the foreground still looks perhaps a little too much in focus to me, so I may need to tweak the focal distance and/or F/Stop some more I think, and possibly reduce the lumens on the spotlight a bit more as well.

And on a slightly different note someone last month mentioned about making my scene into a story, just wanted to say thanks again to that person as that idea really helped with setting this scene up, had not rally been thinking about that at all before smiley.

Post edited by Noswen on
  • ChameoChameo Posts: 306
    edited September 2017

Shrunk the moon, check (but it stays blue - it's part of the story). Added a river, check. Made the light source explicit, check. Added a few details to flesh out the story, check. Adjusted DOF slightly, and moved the white point up a few notches. Side-by-side comparison above.

@Daybird and @HighElf - thanks for all your suggestions and help. The background is an HDRI late evening sky, which I darkened by toning down the intensity/map settings in the render settings. The moon is a sphere primitive with an edited texture, emissive channel and a spotlight trained narrowly on it. The light on the dancer's legs was coming from a dim spotlight I used to brighten the faces around the campfire a little more. I added an explicit light source - the lantern - to explain it - and then did a tiny bit of post-work to tone down the shadow of the shawl on her thigh. Any other suggestions?

city limits blue moon 5.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    city limits with big blue moon.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Chameo on
  • Here's version h. Besides adding a fallen guard next to the railling, I added the AtmoCam to try and thicken the air from the smoke, but I think that I might need to work with that some more so things aren't quite as dark as they became. (Darn guard will need some work as well, he's just a silhouette for crying out loud. But that might be a good thing.)

sept2017h.png
    1092 x 872 - 1M
  • ChameoChameo Posts: 306

Here's version h. Besides adding a fallen guard next to the railling, I added the AtmoCam to try and thicken the air from the smoke, but I think that I might need to work with that some more so things aren't quite as dark as they became. (Darn guard will need some work as well, he's just a silhouette for crying out loud. But that might be a good thing.)

I like seeing your progress on this, Shinji. The smoke definitely adds to the chaotic atmosphere, and I'm not sure the dark tone is necessarily a bad thing.

edited September 2017

Version number three. Tweaked the DoF settings and moved the hitee a bit further back as the two figures were too close to really have only one in focus.

Post edited by Noswen on
  • Here's version i, adding a r.a.p.t.o.r. in the background as a decker drone.

sept2017i.png
    1092 x 872 - 1M
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Here's version i, adding a r.a.p.t.o.r. in the background as a decker drone.

The image is so dark all I can see is the lights, the paper and the four glowing eyes.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

This is my first draft which took over 3 hours to render. I wanted the singer to be more in focus.

Title :Band Rehearsal

BandRehearsalv1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 177K
    edited September 2017

So here is the most recent WIP version of "Zahlen-Krimi". I've played a littlebit with the trinity of f/stop, shutter and ISO. And it becomes a little bit more brighter than the original f/stop 16 version.

Also I workt on some minor details and added a "clue" for the story. I hope it is recognisable enough for you guys. :) I hope the story becomes more clearer now.

DoF_WiP.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Meant to post this after I got home from work, but oh well. Anyhow here's version j trying to tweek the brightness somewhat. (Not sure how well I did on that though, I was making my adjustments to the settings just before I left for work yesterday, and didn't have time to really preview things before I left.)

sept2017j.png
    1092 x 872 - 1M

Meant to post this after I got home from work, but oh well. Anyhow here's version j trying to tweek the brightness somewhat. (Not sure how well I did on that though, I was making my adjustments to the settings just before I left for work yesterday, and didn't have time to really preview things before I left.)

I think it's still to dark. The guy in the front is a main character in this scene and so he should be more visible. Maybe you can add some muzzle flash to light up his face.

edited September 2017

I overworked my first entry to add some motion blur in the scene with gimp.

On patrol.jpg
    2024 x 1251 - 2M
    Post edited by daybird on
  • Here's version k. Have some of the crew upstairs firing at someone coming in through the doors they're covering.

sept2017k.png
    1092 x 872 - 2M

Here's version k. Have some of the crew upstairs firing at someone coming in through the doors they're covering.

Muuuuuch better, now the scene rocks...laughyes

HighElf said:

So here is the most recent WIP version of "Zahlen-Krimi". I've played a littlebit with the trinity of f/stop, shutter and ISO. And it becomes a little bit more brighter than the original f/stop 16 version.

Also I workt on some minor details and added a "clue" for the story. I hope it is recognisable enough for you guys. :) I hope the story becomes more clearer now.

I can't recognize the evidence,they are a little too blurry. Is that a cigarette on the bed and a jewellery on the floor?
    The bloodstains on the bed are good.

Here's version k. Have some of the crew upstairs firing at someone coming in through the doors they're covering.

That looks so much better I think, can see the characters in there now.

daybird said:

I overworked my first entry to add some motion blur in the scene with gimp.

This definitely brings the character to the fore.

daybird said:
    HighElf said:

I can't recognize the evidence,they are a little too blurry. Is that a cigarette on the bed and a jewellery on the floor?
    The bloodstains on the bed are good.

Currently I try to make the ring more pop. And the thing on the bed is indeed a cigarette.
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    daybird said:

Muuuuuch better, now the scene rocks...laughyes

I agree, much better. Personally I would lower the brightness from the girls muzzle flash and increase it on the one nearest the viewer. What is happening now is that the eye is drawn to the girl and the figure on the right is missed because he is so dark. Making him brighter and her darker would balance the image. My opinion only. If it is the image you are looking for then I would just carry on with it until you are happy with the finished image.

• Thanks for the feedback everyone who has commented so far, but I'm going to have to wait until I get home from my friend's place after work to try and adjust the muzzle flashes. Have to be out the door for my bus in about 10 minutes just to head into work.

edited September 2017

So, and again I've tried to fix some issues.

The Ring should now be more visible, and the cigarette should be mor obvious. Also I've fixed a misposition of the bloody hand.

Edit: oO The conversion to jpg ruined the diamond and the silver parts in the ring. 

DoF_WiP_08.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited September 2017

unwanted double post.

HighElf said:

So, and again I've tried to fix some issues.

The Ring should now be more visible, and the cigarette should be mor obvious. Also I've fixed a misposition of the bloody hand.

Edit: oO The conversion to jpg ruined the diamond and the silver parts in the ring. 

Mhh, I think the ring is simply to small and the carpet makes it nearly impossible to really recognize him.
    On the other Hand...if we don't see him, also the murderer hasn't seen him.

• jenniferhugheyjenniferhughey Posts: 404
    edited September 2017

Here goes, I am fairly new to Daz, been seriously trying to learn since late winter of last year, maybe early spring of this year. I didn't really know how to do DOF, messed with it a bit before this but didn't understand.

But love these tutorials!!

Title: "Now What?"

Software used: Daz 4.9 Iray render, no postwork.

Tried some new things, like using sun/sky lights, hopefully it gives the "look" I was going for..I usually tend to go way light with my images..

**edited to say, I'm trying to catch up with whether we're allowed to comment on others images, or since we are "noobs" if that is reserved for the more experienced people? Not sure how this works yet..**

Josie_scene_black.jpg
    3300 x 2640 - 1M
    Post edited by jenniferhughey on
  • snoopzonesnoopzone Posts: 27
    edited September 2017

Hi all,

so my contribution to this month's theme is here: Fart ("No, you are NOT sweet!")

Rendering: iray

Content: all DAZ Original or PA. Except: Hair of that sweet lil alien: LAMH by myself, glas of whiskey with ice cubes: blender by myself, tatoo by myself, tribiute to IM. Little editing surfaces of the lil alien and female wardrobe. Female is G8 derived by myself.

Only lights origining from the scene, no additional lights. A bit tone mapping.

Postwork: only layering, Paint.NET

fart.jpg
    1024 x 724 - 155K
    Post edited by snoopzone on
  • I've got version L rendering at this time. Tried to make some adjustments to the muzzle flashes, and tweeked the DoF settings some. Also added some flames in the background to try and help see the group in the lower area, and moved the AtmoCam back a lot so that the prop that is thickening the air was filling the room rather then just part of the area.

Here goes, I am fairly new to Daz, been seriously trying to learn since late winter of last year, maybe early spring of this year. I didn't really know how to do DOF, messed with it a bit before this but didn't understand.

But love these tutorials!!

Title: "Now What?"

Software used: Daz 4.9 Iray render, no postwork.

Tried some new things, like using sun/sky lights, hopefully it gives the "look" I was going for..I usually tend to go way light with my images..

**edited to say, I'm trying to catch up with whether we're allowed to comment on others images, or since we are "noobs" if that is reserved for the more experienced people? Not sure how this works yet..**

Welcome Jen. That is a impressive first entry. If you self call you a noob, than I'm far below you. ;)

The light, DoF and expression  from the char are very well done. Yes most off us are beginners, but I think we all can comment other pictures. Often other people see things that we self miss to see and it's always interesting to read what other people see and think about it.

• Here we go, version L.

sept2017l.png
    1092 x 872 - 2M