SSS shaders

Comments

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited May 2013

Szark said:
    PS that second image is so much better, nice. :)

Why thank you.

But you'll never guess what... I carefull applied all your settings and have only just realised that I forgot to switch "Subsurface Active" to ON !!

Duhh!!

So here's what it should look like (though there's hardly any difference in the skin it seems whether SSS is on or off)

Final question then. We've done the UberSurface settings for all the skin and eyes. what about hair, eyelashes, eyebrows, nails and teeth. Should I do those too?

Dana_with_SSS_and_eyes.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 493K
    Post edited by Sertorial on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I haven't gotten around to hair yet so I cheat with Uber Hair. ;)

Teetth Apart form the IOR all the rest is guess work for me.
    I used an IOR of 1.70, SSS scale 0.20 plugged the bumop map in to the SSS Strength to give a little variation. Scatter color off white, absorption colour light grey Diffuse colour I made a off white too.

Nails I think have an IOR of 1.54, but do they have SSS I am not sure. I have got aound to finding out about nails yet either.

If you try what I said in my last about removing the texture maps and testing each channel then you will see the SSS effect of not...then you can adjust but it should be subtle.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I haven't gotten around to hair yet so I cheat with Uber Hair. ;)

Teetth Apart form the IOR all the rest is guess work for me.
    I used an IOR of 1.70, SSS scale 0.20 plugged the bumop map in to the SSS Strength to give a little variation. Scatter color off white, absorption colour light grey Diffuse colour I made a off white too.

Nails I think have an IOR of 1.54, but do they have SSS I am not sure. I have got aound to finding out about nails yet either.

If you try what I said in my last about removing the texture maps and testing each channel then you will see the SSS effect of not...then you can adjust but it should be subtle.

Thanks again. Don't get me wrong. I am VERY happy with the results of all these tweakings. Subtle is good. It's the diff between good and excellent :)

Just one check regarding your post yesterday. You said this

Also there have been a few threads lately about SSS Scale and Shading Rates and I have tested them and they do work.

SSS Scale 0.10
    SSS Shading rate 1 or 2. Higher SSS shading rates or for Translucent materials like thin things like paper etc.

Are you modifying your earlier advice about SS scale then? (as you originally said 1 to 1.7 for skin). Or were you meaning for eyes?

edited December 1969

Yep I am modifing my advice with what I have learnt recently. 1.7 and 1 equates to 1.7 and 1 cm respectively, pretty thick skin. :) I didn't realise or think of what these values were/are, and given the default Daz Studio measurement is CM it sort of makes sense.

edited December 1969

actually I have only just realised that V5 (out of the box) has the UberSurface shader and has all the SSS settings already set. Here's how she looks with the same lighting set up as I have been using so far for Dana. Pretty nice, I think.

V5_out_of_the_box.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 537K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

That's interesting, and good results for the most part. One thing I noticed though is she's reflecting her own eyelashes.

edited December 1969

Yeah lower the reflection strength on the eyes more but yes not bad at all.

One thing about all this that I keep repeating....the whole thing is a cheat, what matters is the end result how we get there is a matter of choice. If you are happy with the results then that is all the matters.

edited May 2013

Can I get an amen ;)

The thing is, we want to be aware as much as possible how it 'should' work, because if something gets 'fixed' later in the base product it gives us a heads up on what we would probably want to do to adjust our settings to the new fixed ones to get them to work. It also gives us a heads up on how to fudge things in related but different circumstances, and what might or might not carry over to a different environment. And last but not least, it gives us a good central point to start from. But, if it gets too confusing and it works, don't worry about it till then is my take. Usually things sort themselves out eventually.

That is what is so nice about what Szark (and others) are doing when they work through these settings. They have all of these things in mind when they are working on what the best settings are from their experiments as a core to work from, thank you Szark and everyone else who spends time doing this :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Yeah lower the reflection strength on the eyes more but yes not bad at all.

That's strange because reflection is switched off on all her eye surfaces!! How are they reflecting then??

edited December 1969

Thanks Gedd. :)

Sertorial I have no idea sorry What skin set is this...Bree?

edited December 1969

Szark said:

Sertorial I have no idea sorry What skin set is this...Bree?

Yes

edited December 1969

Yeah wierd but I am stumped sorry to say unless it is a shadow and looking at the bottom lashes I am going to guess Shadow.

edited May 2013

Yes actually I had already come to that same conclusion (that it might actually be a shadow.) Someone else posted a picture with the same effect that made me think of it, don't remember exactly where I saw it now though. Try turning off cast shadows on the eyelashes.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited May 2013

Gedd said:
    Yes actually I had already come to that same conclusion (that it might actually be a shadow.) Someone else posted a picture with the same effect that made me think of it, don't remember exactly where I saw it now though. Try turning off cast shadows on the eyelashes.

the eyelashes don't appear as an item in the scene tab so I can't turn off cast shadows. There's no shadows option in the shader tab either.

?

Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

Hmm, sorry don't know... would have to set up a test scenario and play with it. I'm off on other projects atm though :/

edited May 2013

Sertorial said:
    Gedd said:

the eyelashes don't appear as an item in the scene tab so I can't turn off cast shadows. There's no shadows option in the shader tab either.

?Give me a few hours for this new skin test render to finish and I will have a look for you. Do you have Uber Surface 2?

This why I like Area lighting as I don't get this issue with unwanted shadows. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Sertorial said:
    Gedd said:

?

Give me a few hours for this new skin test render to finish and I will have a look for you. Do you have Uber Surface 2?

It's just called UberSurface. It came with DS4.5

edited December 1969

Ok cheers. Yeah I don't think Uber Surface has a Shadow Off switch.

• edited December 1969

Alright, stupid question from a person new to rendering time.

Where do I buy SSS Skin Shader at? Is it already in Daz 4.5?
    How do I activate it or where would I look to turn it on?

edited December 1969

Content Library (not Smart Content) > Daz Studio Formats > My Library (or where you installed the default content) > Shaders > omnifreaker > Uber Surface

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the directions. But when I select a character and click on a Human shader or an Uber shader, nothing happens...
    Am I doing something wrong?

edited December 1969

Are you selecting the surfaces too? Also hold down CTRL (CMD on Mac) whilst loading the shader and choose to "Ignore" replacing the maps in the new window.

• edited December 1969

Thanks again for the help!
    I guess it doesn't work too well with V5...I see white streaks showing up on the model.

edited December 1969

LOL It takes a while to learn how to use it. I have been at learning this for over two years now and I am just starting to get a grasp.

Can you post a screenshot of what is happening. If you look back a page or two you will see it does work on V5. Here is my latest test using V5.

What skin set are you using?

NTbestA.jpg
    702 x 776 - 221K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

Your render settings need the Shading Rate set to .5 or lower if you are seeing seams on a texture.

But first you need to be sure you have the correct UV picked for the texture your loading.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Your render settings need the Shading Rate set to .5 or lower if you are seeing seams on a texture.

But first you need to be sure you have the correct UV picked for the texture your loading.
    yeah I was thinking the same but I wanted to make sure with a screenshot. :P
  • edited May 2013

Jaderail said:

Shading Rate, eh? How do I find this?

And I'm using V5's Bree.

Post edited by megagearx_eaad3c70d6 on
    edited December 1969

If you don't have the render settings pane open go to the top menu bar Window > Panes (Tabs) > Render Settings and click on the Advanced Tab at the top of the pane.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

megagearx said:
    Thanks again for the help!
    I guess it doesn't work too well with V5...I see white streaks showing up on the model.

The V5 Bree skin material is setup to use the UberSurface shader. Applying UberSurface to the Bree skin should not do anything.

edited December 1969

Well you are correct in that it uses the UberSurface shader and therefore there is no reason to apply it, simply adjust any settings one wants. However, sometimes adding shaders on top of an object that already has that shader will override settings that are currently applied, blowing out or resetting those settings. I thought I remembered this actually happening in the case of Bree but I could be wrong. I would have to test it and comb through the settings to be sure.