Smart content missing . . .

solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hey Guys,

As I mentioned in my other post here, I have been relocating files to the new location for DIM to see things properly.
Been noticing Smart Content is missing. Which to that point, I've noticed that out of some 350 items in my DIM listing, only a few of them actually have the 'Smart' category checked as active, there in DIM. I know that many of them had Smart Content abilities before.
And this even includes things like posing, products, etc. None of them are showing up. As in, if I have a character selected, I only have access to the slider options for direct pose editing. My preset poses use to show up on the left side there in presets.
(FYI, I'm using the basic Studio 4.5 layout. So Smart Content and Presets are on the left.)
Any thoughts on what I missed here?

Thanks.

- Sol

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862
    edited December 1969

If you've moved files within the content folders using the operating system tools then the link to the Smart Content is broken, and (annoyingly) there are no tools to repair broken links. The only way to preserve smart content when moving user-facing files is to use the Content Library pane to do the moving (cut/copy/paste/create folder are available by right-click menu) and even there if you have to reset the database the links will point to the original location and the smart content will be broken. Moving whole content directories should be safe, as it's only the location within the content directory that is stored in the database.

• solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

If you've moved files within the content folders using the operating system tools then the link to the Smart Content is broken, and (annoyingly) there are no tools to repair broken links. The only way to preserve smart content when moving user-facing files is to use the Content Library pane to do the moving (cut/copy/paste/create folder are available by right-click menu) and even there if you have to reset the database the links will point to the original location and the smart content will be broken. Moving whole content directories should be safe, as it's only the location within the content directory that is stored in the database.

Hey Richard, thanks for the response here.
    What I did was set up for DIM to be the main folder as it suggests, using the newly created 'My DAZ 3D Library' folder. And then, assuming that many, if not all of the previous downloaded items would now have updated versions, I reinstalled all of my available downloads to this new folder, using the new DIM install feature. So I assumed it would automatically create all new Smart Content' links. it should, right?
    What I have moved manually over is a number of Renderosity items that don't have the DAZ installer. Those didn't have Smart Content ID's anyways.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862
    edited December 1969

Yes, the Install Manager should insert Smart Data directly into the database without needing to go through the prompt dialogue next time DS starts (and it should also place the metadata in the \Runtime\Support folder, should you need to reimport later). I have had limited success with Smart Content generally so I can't comment on how prevalent this is, but it might be worth trying to reset the database (right-click on Content Library pane's tab and select Content DB Maintenance, then reset database and Accept, then do the same but this time check Re-import metadata instead). If that doesn't help, and the problem is items that don't show metadata, then I'm not sure it's something a bug report will help with - presumably for some reason the old metadata could not be reused.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I have found and reported 2 items, I think, where the DIM version seemed to be an older version of the product than the Bitrock installer, without metadata when the installer had one, but that's been pretty rare. If you are seeing lots of tems like this, could you list some of them?

edited December 1969

I have found and reported 2 items, I think, where the DIM version seemed to be an older version of the product than the Bitrock installer, without metadata when the installer had one, but that's been pretty rare. If you are seeing lots of tems like this, could you list some of them?

Hey Mike, I really appreciate you guys trying to help out here. Much appreciated, as always.

I tried the 'Content DB Maintenance' as suggested by Richard. That didn't change anything.
    Here's a screen shot for page 1 of my DIM. I have some 348 currently installed, all by the new installer. So downloaded fresh, should be the latest versions of everything. As you can see by this screenshot, only a couple of items, are checked as 'Smart' items. 'Abbey for Genesis' and 'Branwen for V4'. Weird that even here, Branwen for V5 doesn't register as a 'Smart' item, and it's obviously newer. And even more so, items like Victoria 5, Michael 5, Troll for Genesis, all of which should be the latest, greatest versions of 'Smart Content' items don't register as 'Smart' here.
    So making no sense to me.

Screen_Shot_2013-03-27_at_1.00_.59_PM_.png
    759 x 1023 - 177K
    edited December 1969

Just an FYI, I do see everything in the 'Content' folders on the right (again, using the stock 'Studio' layout.)
    Just don't see the smart objects as I use to.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Some of those items should definitely have Smart Content. Have you looked at the DIM log? Open settings (the gear in the upper right corner) and there's a Show Log button in the bottom left. Look for messages that say "Valentina" -- that would mean there was an error installing the Smart Content (although it will still say the product installed successfully). This can happen if there's a problem with the CMS while DIM is installing the item.

edited December 1969

Some of those items should definitely have Smart Content. Have you looked at the DIM log? Open settings (the gear in the upper right corner) and there's a Show Log button in the bottom left. Look for messages that say "Valentina" -- that would mean there was an error installing the Smart Content (although it will still say the product installed successfully). This can happen if there's a problem with the CMS while DIM is installing the item.

Hey Mike,
    Looking at the log, I see a lot of error messages on the metadatafile (thus 'Smart Content), but not sure why. Someone with more inner-workings knowledge hopefully can add some insight here. I do see your mentioned "valentina" there.
    Any thoughts?

Here's a sampling of the log:

Installing product : Abby for Genesis
    WARNING: /src/dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(36): DB Select error: Unique violation for index "%S".
    WARNING: /src/dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(36): DB Register Open error: Stream EOF reached.
    Product ID mismatch between metadata file and manifest for product : Abby for Genesis
    Product successfully installed : Abby for Genesis
    Install Queue finished in 0 min 1.4 sec.
    Installing product : Abby for V4
    Error reading metadatafile
    Product successfully installed : Abby for V4
    Install Queue finished in 0 min 1.0 sec.
    Installing product : Actual Face Hair
    Product successfully installed : Actual Face Hair
    Installing product : Actual Eyes 3
    Product successfully installed : Actual Eyes 3
    Install Queue finished in 0 min 3.0 sec.
    Installing product : Addison for V4
    Product successfully installed : Addison for V4
    Installing product : Addison PoserCF
    Product successfully installed : Addison PoserCF
    Install Queue finished in 0 min 1.1 sec.
    Installing product : Addison

• BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

If I can get you to check a couple of things for me, please.

Could you check to make sure DAZ Content Management Service is running?

Is DAZ Studio also running while you are doing this?

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

In my DIM,,Alruna and Amethist Fantasy show as smart, on installed content section,
    actually,,they have meta-data in zip.

it seems clear,, there is some problem,,

then,, do not you downloaded and keep content zip (by DIM) in somedirectory on your PC?
    or check option,,delete installer(zip) once installed ?

because,, when I have trouble with DIM meta-data,
    I often need to check the zip of contents. so I choose "dont delete zip"

it is Contents directory. and there must be runtime/support directory
    if the contents have meta-data.

if there is meta-data (and I beilieve those zip has meta-data),,
    it means there is problem to install meta-data from zip to, your runtime /support.
    or DAZ cms could not import your meta-data from runtime/support folda to database.

there must be solution,, I think,,,:roll:

edited December 1969

I can see that it is on, in 'Activity Monitor', but it's using 0.0 CPU%. Watched it for a minute, even while launching Studio, and it didn't change. (I am on Studio 4.5.1.56, FYI)

edited December 1969

Sol765 said:

I can see that it is on, in 'Activity Monitor', but it's using 0.0 CPU%. Watched it for a minute, even while launching Studio, and it didn't change. (I am on Studio 4.5.1.56, FYI)So the obvious solution is not the correct one. :)

You didn't say, but is DAZ Studio running while you are using Install Manager to install Content?

And is your Smart Content tab populated in DAZ Studio?

edited December 1969

Sol765 said:

I can see that it is on, in 'Activity Monitor', but it's using 0.0 CPU%. Watched it for a minute, even while launching Studio, and it didn't change. (I am on Studio 4.5.1.56, FYI)

So the obvious solution is not the correct one. :)

You didn't say, but is DAZ Studio running while you are using Install Manager to install Content?

And is your Smart Content tab populated in DAZ Studio?

I've done it both ways. But mostly with it running I believe.

edited December 1969

if you use PC,, not MAC user,,
    did you check "task manager">service ,
    then "DAZ content management service" activity?

and if CMS stopped,,
    we can access from windows start menu, DAZ 3d>daz content management service

then CMS seldom use CPU,, even though I start DS.
    keep 0 %, so you can not clear check ,, CMS is running or not by Activity Monitor’,, I think,,,

edited December 1969

OK. I'm looking at the 'Trouble-shooting Smart Content Pane' document on the Knowledge Base/Home page.
    I have tried the 'reset the Content DB' as Richard suggested.
    I have just now 'Re-imported the Metadata' as the document suggested. A lot happened here. It came up with a crap-poad of titles to update, which it did. But nothing still appeared in the Smart Content window. I re-launched Studio just to be sure, but nothing.

I then proceeded to the next recommended steps and trashed the database form the Library and recreated them from scratch. Still got nothing in the Smart Content pane. So even though it acts as though it is installing the metadata on the 'Re-Import Metadata' process, nothing is there. FYI, when I did this process (twice), each time I could see all the item titles there, so it is finding something, just not Smart Content data.

edited December 1969

and if CMS stopped,,

keep 0 %, so you can not clear check ,, CMS is running or not by Activity Monitor’,, I think,,,

Yes, using the Knowledge-Base, I have stopped and re-started the CMS and that didn't seem to effect anything.

edited December 1969

It seems better,,, try un-isntall CMS,, and un nstall DAZ stuido 4.5,
    and re-install DAZ studio 4.5 again.(it insall CMS ).

I think,, if it is your CMS version problem..

I heared before,, when version up DS,, DS can not auto un-isntall CMS.
    if you version up 4.5 beta to current version,, there seems no problem,,(because,, I did not uninstall CMS)

but if you version up from another version to current version,, I think,, you may need cleane uninstall CMS.

and if i were you,, before do it,, check once again,, in your DAZ content folda/runtime/support
    there is product meta-data,, or not (I think,, there are many-mata-data)

edited December 1969

and,,, sorry,, I can not help you much ^^; (not need reply me,, if you have tried already what I suggest,,

I just worry about you,, and hope you remove problem,,,sure,,)

edited December 1969

Sol765 said:

and if CMS stopped,,

Yes, using the Knowledge-Base, I have stopped and re-started the CMS and that didn't seem to effect anything.You likely have a corrupt Database. (It has happened to me a couple of times.)

Stop CMS
    Go to the folder where CMS has its files. (Windows Default is C:\ProgramData\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases I believe)
    Move all of the files out of that folder. (Put them somewhere like a desktop temp folder.)
    Uninstall CMS
    Reinstall DAZ Studio (This will automatically reinstall CMS as well.).
    Start DAZ Studio
    CMS should be running, but just in case, start CMS.
    Content Database Management: Reimport Metadata.

If that works then you can delete the temp folder. If that doesn't work, you are going to need to file a bug and let DAZ3d get to it. :)

edited December 1969

It seems better,,, try un-isntall CMS,, and un nstall DAZ stuido 4.5,
    and re-install DAZ studio 4.5 again.(it insall CMS ).

I think,, if it is your CMS version problem..

I heared before,, when version up DS,, DS can not auto un-isntall CMS.
    if you version up 4.5 beta to current version,, there seems no problem,,(because,, I did not uninstall CMS)

but if you version up from another version to current version,, I think,, you may need cleane uninstall CMS.

and if i were you,, before do it,, check once again,, in your DAZ content folda/runtime/support
    there is product meta-data,, or not (I think,, there are many-mata-data)

Bingo!!! We have a winner!!

That did it. I uninstalled CMS from the Mac Library. Then Re-installed Studio 4.5.1.56.
    Upon launching, none of the Smart Content items were there. But I then went into 'DB Maintenance' and Re-imported the Metadata. This time it took about 10 minutes, versus the 10 seconds it was doing before when I tried this process.
    And I could immediately see multiple categories popping up again like it use to be, 'Figures., Animals, Hair, etc.
    Through this search & find process we've been doing here, I have only had 'ALL' listed at the top of the Smart Content pane.
    When it finished up, I selected my Genesis character and all the glorious Smart Content thumbs were available, and worked like a charm. Woohoo!!

Must have been the outdated CMS, as you mentioned, as I was on the latest Studio release. Weird that it doesn't automatically uninstall and reinstall that function too. So hey there, DAZ team, apparently that one IS important. ;)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and help here. Nice to get it resolved.

Now, off to see what other head-scratcher I can find next . . . ., be in touch soon. lol!

:)

Thanks, Guys!

- Sol

edited December 1969

Sol765 said ,, already try to delete database,, and re-import ,,before,,

but I think,, BTLProductions suggesiton is last solution which we can try.

(once again delete database,, and clean uninstall , re-install cms,, then re-import meta-data )

then,,, hope there is no problem about meta- data in runtime folda.

if it is not,, re-import meta-data from "runtime/suppport"
    import corrupt meta-data files to clean database again .

you may better,,, after clean install CMS and ds
    only one or two meta-data check on,, import from your runtime,,
    eg (genesis starter essential kits)

then if it work well without problem,,re-import all product meta-data again.

edited December 1969

waooo,,,,, congraturation,,,

Now my long downloadiing of tutroial video seems finsh ^^;

yeah,,, we are happy :lol: good night!!!

• superfegersuperfeger Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Hello Forum,
    I´m a newbie to DAZ and got some problems to start.
    Issue is: I somehow killed the links to the smart content. But I still can view all files in the content library.

For that reason I deinstalled all Daz products and files even from the library on my Imac (os 10.9) and repopulated them via the DAZ installer.
    But nothing changed. I stopped and restarted the CMS but it is not the solution. There must be something hidden in the hierarchy of the library that still remains.
    If I´m installing all products on a different computer everything is fine.

Any ideas to help?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

For that reason I deinstalled all Daz products and files even from the library on my Imac (os 10.9) and repopulated them via the DAZ installer. But nothing changed.

That's what should happen — it looks like you have either an unusual CMS problem or a corrupted CMS database, and reinstalling isn't the solution to that problem.

Are you sure, when you turn on the CMS, it is actually turning on? In the Content Library tab (not Smart Content) you should see a little triangle (indicating "there's something openable here") beside the Products and Categories lines at the bottom. These content views are driven by the CMS and won't show if it isn't running.

edited December 1969

Dear Kitty,

I can see the CMS running in the activity monitor. And I started it manually before I start DAZ Studio 4.6.

So there is something corrupted in the databases of the CMS possibly.

But how can I get rid of them? If I deleted them and reinstall why the heck are they still in the old version.

Maybe an official from DAZ can response as I downloaded for 200 bucks stuff as platinum member and it is not comfortable to work without the smart content.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Because Deleting the CMS does not DELETE the Database or the backup files saved in the AppData folder. There is more to removing DAZ Studio than a basic uninstall and as mentioned Uninstall will NEVER fix content issues in the Database unless the Database is removed and or repaired.

edited December 1969

Dear DAZ People,

was not that delighted that you could not provide a working deinstall routine in your program.

I tried to kill everything that was named DAZ on my hardware.
    But in the end it was Time Machine by Apple that saved me.
    Going back in history before DAZ was on my computer.

So guys keep on rocking!