Question About Sequence Rendering

StuieStuie Posts: 58
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I ran across this recently and was wondering about a possible solution. When I was rendering a 90 frame animation, I recently got a memory allocation error after about 5 frames. Okay, so I closed the program and rebooted the computer. I decided to use the render the node with another networked computer. After about 36 frames I got a message that it encountered an error and had to abort. The error occurred with the networked computer. So I decided to start the rendering again at the next frame from where the error occurred.

To my surprise, it started naming the files over again and copying over the previous files that had been rendered. My question is how do I get Carrara (8.1.1.12) to continue after the last file as far as naming the files. I corrected the start point in rendering options, but instead of 037 it went back to 000. If the only option is to apply a slightly different name, this becomes a big problem as I would have to go back and rename all of those files so that I could drop it into After Effects, which won't be pleasant. Please help.

Stuie

Comments

• edited December 1969

In the render settings, file format, options, there is a place to set the starting frame number.

• StuieStuie Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I missed that. Setting it up to try again.

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

Not sure of your frame rate, but never render more than 30 seconds at a time otherwise you'll potentially get this error.

I usually render at 29 second intervals.

• jes_28b65ebb0cjes_28b65ebb0c Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hi :)

This is completely new to me – although I use Carrara 6.2.1 on an iMac 3 Ghz OSX 10.5.8, I have not previously experienced these error messages. I've seen a lot of other weird things with Carrara, which to my mind has always been buggy and unpredictable.

But the thing is, I just tried to render a large booth design for a trade fair – exactly 30 seconds long @ 24 fps. I've set the rendering to run through batch queu, and actually, the rendering progresses relatively fast, with a single irradiance map for a static scene, just with the camera panning around.
    But to my surprise, the renderer stops at 26 seconds, leaving the remaining 4 second unrendered, with the error message "A memory allocation error has occured".

Why does Carrara do that???

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Because you are using C6 with the memory leak. Basically you ran out of ram.

• jes_28b65ebb0cjes_28b65ebb0c Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Okay - didn't know that there was an in issue in that respect too :-/ I assumed, that when doing a batch render, Carrara would write to disk rather than to memory.

But it looks to me, that the original question from this thread describes exactly the same problem in Carrara 8 - hasn't this been solved? In my world, the software should be able to render at least several minutes without any problems.

Is it possible to allocate all available RAM to Carrara?

Kind regards, Jes

• StuieStuie Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Yes, the original problem was in C8 Pro. Didn't matter if I did a straight sequence rendering or by render node, it would give me that error after about only 26 FRAMES! Kind of a drag when I'm only rendering out 3 sec.