Why do I get 'jaggies' with some model and hair combinations?

AdrianSAdrianS Posts: 77
edited March 2013 in New Users

When I try ti fit some mid or long hair props to certain models, the hair has jagged regions around the temples. This happens very often with Riley for Stephanie 5. The Gregoria, Catwalk and Jaguar styles all do it, and trying to apply morphs to move the hair away from the temples doesn't work. A similar thing happens with the Reney model, which I purchased from Renderosity. Anyone know the cause or the remedy?

Post edited by AdrianS on

Comments

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It has something to do with the hair trying to avoid colliding with the eyelashes. On some figures; the eyelashes seem to be longer than on others. This causes the hair to go crinkly in the area. you might want to try increasing the smoothing on the hair.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If you select the hair, go to the Parameters tab and use the options menu (the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner) to "Show Hidden Parameters", you can see the morphs from the character that have been applied to the hair. Turn them off one at a time until you find the one which is causing the jaggies.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

If it's the eyelash thing that BWSman mentioned (and that would be my guess, too), then there's a fix that usually works quite well: select the hair, then, on the Parameters tab, open the options menu (left click on the menu icon that has a little triangle and four lines, or right-click on the word "Parameters" on the tab itself), Show Hidden Properties. In the list there should be one or more eyelash-related morphs. Try zeroing it (or them) and the problem should go away. In my experience this works almost all the time.

See the hair tutorial link in my signature for more info. :)

• AdrianSAdrianS Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

It's definitely the eyelashes - the Riley character has very long lashes. However, I tried it with the catwalk hair and the hidden properties simply relate to the mouth (?). Perhaps this will work with other hairstyles, but I got around it by decreasing both eyelash length and 'Eyelashes hide layer' in the shaping tab. That worked fine, so thanks for pointing me towards the lashes.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Yes,, it is bug about one of genesis Evolution morphs.

Actor/Head/Face/Eyes/Universal/Real World
    you can find Eyelashes Hide Layer

or \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Evolution
    PHMEyelashesHideLayer

no one hope character eye lush hide layer morph to auto follow hair sahpe.
    there is no meaning , never.

eyelush hide layer morph pull part of eye lush into the head skin. and hide them.
    so it change hair shape ugly.

I recommend when you find these "auto-follow" morphs
    which need not follow hair, (but usualy they need auto-follow,,,)

change the morph properties to not auto-follow in parameter setting tool,
    or edit code, not to auto follow, and save it to keep "not auto follow"

if leave it off, whenever you apply character which use this morph,
    and hair fit to, the morph cause same problem with (fit to) hair.
    there are some character which use this morph, and auto set value.

(I use save modified assets, take care not change other properties
    it cause more problems,when you load genesis)

eyelush.JPG
    988 x 746 - 150K