Smart Content Not Visible After DS 4.9.4.122 Update (Windows 10) [SOLVED]

Hello and thank you in advance to anyone willing to try and help.

Since downloading the DS update, my Smart Content window is empty.

After searching the forum, I have tried the following:

- Checking the file path in Edit>Preferences>Content>Content Directory Manager : the pathways to where files are kept on my desktop all appear correct

- Re-Importing Metadata via the menu in the top corner of the Smart Content Pane>Content DB Maintenance and checking the Re-Import Data box and clicking 'Accept'

- Uninstalling DAZ Studio via the DAZ Install Manager and re-installing

None of this has worked - the Smart Content window refuses to populate with any of my content. 

Any further possible steps to correct the issue would be appreciated, if anyone has any ideas.

Post edited by baphomet_37_a1bc462f3f on

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Can you see your content in the Content Library pane?

• Do you get an alert about needing a PostgreSQL connection when you launch DS? What security software are you running?

• edited August 2017

Jestmart:

Yes, content (I believe all of it) shows up in the Content Library pane.

Richard: 

I do not get any alerts when launching DS. I have Avira running, and Windows Firewall is also on.

• If you check task Manager, while DS is running do you have several isntacnes of PostgreSQL listed in the Process tab?

• Richard:

Indeed, I do! 9 instances (all PostgreSQL Server (32-bit) even though I am running the 64-bit version of DS, in case that is relevant?). 

• DS communicates (or not) with PostgreSQL using Internet protocol (but on the local machine, not going onto the actual Internet) so the bitness doesn't need to match (though if you have a 64 bit system there's no reason I know to limit yourself to the 32 bit version of PostgreSQL - still, I wouldn't think it was likely to be your issue).

You say you see the content in Content Library - does that include Categories and products, or just the various Formats lists?

• Richard:

I should start my answer by just stating for the record that all content I've downloaded just goes where it wants to go when downloading it - I know sometimes people set up their own folders and sub-folders and organize things how they want, which apparently can confuse DS, so I just let it put things where it wants to and don't mess with it. That said, I don't have an intuitive grasp of how it catagorizes things. So, in poking around in the Content Library, Victoria 42 Base shows up in Products>V, but double-clicking her there does not load her into the scene... and I can't find her at all in Categories or DAZ Studio Formats. I don't know if that's because I'm looking for her in the wrong place in the Content Library pane, or because DS can't find her itself. On the other hand, I can find the Gen3 Male model in DAZ Studio Formats>My DAZ 3D Library and can load him from there... but can't locate him in Products or Categories.

I've attached some screencaps that hopefully will provide more and clearer information about what can be found there than I could provide by trying to describe it in writing.

Any ideas? I am grateful for any help.

DAZss1.png
    800 x 1000 - 3M
    DAZss2.png
    800 x 1000 - 3M
    DAZss3.png
    800 x 1000 - 3M
    DAZss4.png
    800 x 1000 - 3M
    DAZss5.png
    800 x 1000 - 3M
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,511
    edited August 2017

If I was you I'd check the content paths first (edit > preferences > content > directory manager). Then I'd try to disable the firewall and antivirus just to see if it works. Hope this helps.

Post edited by Padone on
  • Victoria 4 is a Poser-format item, so that's why the figure won't show under daz Studio Formats - it should be under Poser formats>My Daz 3D Library>Figures>DAZ People (replace My Daz 3D Library with the actual isntall folder, if different).

• edited August 2017

Padone:

Thank you, but as per my initial post, I have done that, and it is fine (see attached screenshot - those paths are where everything is, as far as I can tell). Turning off my computer's protection has no effect (incidentally, I did mis-speak in that first post, in that Windows Firewall is not generally on, just Avira).

Richard:

I suppose I will get the hang of where DS keeps stuff eventually (especially if I have no choice but to constantly hunt it down manually since the Smart Content pane remains empty), but do you have any further suggestions about whether there's anything I can do to get DS to start populating the Smart Content pane again? It was working perfectly fine before the new version update...

DAZssDIR.png
    600 x 800 - 2M
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,511

@baphomet

If everything is fine with the regular content tab, then you could check the paths in the DIM and be sure they match the paths in DS. Also check the metadata is there. It's very strange that reimport metadata doesn't work.

As for me I only use manual install and the regular content tab so I don't get any of these issues. But I understand that someone may like the smart content.

• Richard:

Although I wasn't getting a PostgreSQL connection error, that appears to have done it  (I also re-installed only the 64-bit version and the "from Valentina" one, and left the 32-bit version uninstalled). All now seems well - thank you!

And thank you also to Padone and jestmart for contributing thoughts as well!

Cheers.