OT Eclipse on Monday Where are you? Website shows Your Area

Comments

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418

Make sure if you have pets they aren't outside. Animal's eyes can be damaged by looking directly into the sun.

Do you really think the animals will be looking at the sun?  I give them a little more credit than that.  Humans on the otherhand, maybe not so much.

Yeah . . . as a kid, I used to try looking directly at the sun (without the eclipse) during the summer just to see if I could.

• Make sure if you have pets they aren't outside. Animal's eyes can be damaged by looking directly into the sun.

Do you really think the animals will be looking at the sun?  I give them a little more credit than that.  Humans on the otherhand, maybe not so much.

I'm expecting a rash of wildlife encounters during the eclipse from folks forgetting about how the reduction in light will mess with those critters.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,263
    edited August 2017
    Graze said:

Make sure if you have pets they aren't outside. Animal's eyes can be damaged by looking directly into the sun.

Yeah . . . as a kid, I used to try looking directly at the sun (without the eclipse) during the summer just to see if I could.

Yeah, I did too. (*blush*).  That's why I said that.   I probably have several little scars on my retinas.sad A good example of where a little knowlege can be dangerous. surprise  And probably the cause of some of my vision issues now.  Although the brain is a marvelous device and edits out and fills in the missing bits of the picture... up to a point... indecision

And in the case of animals, it's an example of where ignorance can be bliss (but confusing at times). enlightened

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

Pets won't be harmed by the eclipse but nor will they appreciate it. They could be disturbed by the unusual occurence, particularly if there are lots of people whooping and hollering. And you don't want to be distracted from a short-lived, spectular occasion by running around after panicked pets.

So the advice to keep them inside is good.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Vedic astrology recommends avoiding being exposed to the shadow as it is considered very malific, as are eclipses in general.

Just for those ``what if.......`` thinkers among you. 

I was a bit too far north to see much when we had a solar eclipse in the UK in 1999 - it went (very!) slightly darker and the streetlamps briefly came on for a bit, and that was it. What really sticks in my mind though was how well we did financially in the days that followed. Money seemed to come out of nowhere for the rest of the year, and then it all stopped as suddenly as it started, all long since spent. A particularly big stroke of financial luck came about a month after the event and on that night I went down to see my best mate, and on the way there I saw lightning without hearing any thunder for the first and only time. I don't think it's that uncommon, but it was new to my mate as well as to me and I can remember us standing outside her house just staring in amazement at it all.

There's no logical reason why natural events that occur in the sky might be associated with financial windfalls, but if there's anything in it then the Vedic astrology view most definitely isn't mine! Here's hoping much good luck comes everyone's way :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Vedic astrology recommends avoiding being exposed to the shadow as it is considered very malific, as are eclipses in general.

Just for those ``what if.......`` thinkers among you. 

I was a bit too far north to see much when we had a solar eclipse in the UK in 1999 - it went (very!) slightly darker and the streetlamps briefly came on for a bit, and that was it. What really sticks in my mind though was how well we did financially in the days that followed. Money seemed to come out of nowhere for the rest of the year, and then it all stopped as suddenly as it started, all long since spent. A particularly big stroke of financial luck came about a month after the event and on that night I went down to see my best mate, and on the way there I saw lightning without hearing any thunder for the first and only time. I don't think it's that uncommon, but it was new to my mate as well as to me and I can remember us standing outside her house just staring in amazement at it all.

There's no logical reason why natural events that occur in the sky might be associated with financial windfalls, but if there's anything in it then the Vedic astrology view most definitely isn't mine! Here's hoping much good luck comes everyone's way :)

I was in London that day,  in a Park (actually Primrose Hill, a well known viewpoint) and the birds in the trees actually went quiet, with those peculiar going to bed type cheeps rather than the normal daytime birdsong. Was actually quite spooky for it to go so quiet.  Not even any of the normal ambient murmur of waterbirds on the canal and animals in the zoo which was normal.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,146
    edited August 2017

Where I live will be about 76+% totality, which is good enough for me. My son and his father are going to Tennessee to see it tho :).

Apparently the next one in 2024 will be nearly total here where I live ;). If I last that long. LOL

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,159
    AllenArt said:

Where I live will be about 76+% totality, which is good enough for me. My son and his father are going to Tennessee to see it tho :).

Apparently the next one in 2024 will be nearly total here where I live ;). If I last that long. LOL

Laurie

they should have a good time .I live in NE TN  there at eclipes parties and events planned all over tennessee . where i live the town park has been opened up for camping for tents only. there is already properly 5000 people there..lol . they have a big farm in murphysboro  that has set up a RV park thats looks like a woodsock concert event..lol  its real crazy

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited August 2017

According to the last website Novica shared a link to, it will be 99.3% of totality here in Eugene Oregon. Not good enough for the hubby. We have to wait until Monday a.m. because of his paper route, so when he gets done, we pack up the car and I "get" to drive to his sister's house in Monnouth, a bit norh and west of Corvallis. No idea if heading up there at 5+ a.m. will get us there on time or not. We do have to drive through Corvallis or Albany, both of which I expect will see a lot of traffic.

Just to be clear, I'm perfectly fine with watching the event via the evening news. If it were up to me, hubby wouldn't have taken the day off from work, so he'd sleep through it all, and I'd be sitting right here at my computer, playing with Daz Studio. It's just not that big of a deal to me, to take even the slightest risk with my eyesight. Everything I love to do—photography, computer graphics, 3D art, watch movies, etc.—all require the ability to see what I'm doing... which is compromised enough already!

Hubby's been so excited about seeing another eclipse, (he saw the one 38 years ago,) that he assumes I'm equally excited. He's not once asked me what I wanted to do! He's like a five year old kid who can hardly wait for Christmas morning, oblivious to the fact not everyone celebrates that particular holiday. LOL
    laugh

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • My sister's house is in Oregon City (99.9% totality), and I will be there. Her partner wants to drive down to Aurora in the morning for 100%.... we may need to have the come-to-Jesus talk at 8 am when she sees the traffic map. ;)

edited August 2017

Pets won't be harmed by the eclipse but nor will they appreciate it. They could be disturbed by the unusual occurence, particularly if there are lots of people whooping and hollering. And you don't want to be distracted from a short-lived, spectular occasion by running around after panicked pets.

If the humans are running around whooping and hollering at an eclipse in the 21st century then perhaps it is they who should be shut inside. enlightened Interesting, yes.  And an event to cherish being lucky enough to witness.  But whoop worthy?  It's going to happen regardless.  There's no surprise here. surprise

I had lunch in a franchise steak restaurant today and sat at the bar to eat.  I mentioned the eclipse to the bar tender, and that except for the weather forecast, how I had hoped to be driving 700 miles to see it.  Her reply was "why do you have to drive so far?"  I explained that it was the closest place to be to see the eclipse in totality.  She looked confused and said "Oh.  I don't know how those things work" and walked away.   I left it at that and pondered the effectiveness of our school system till my food arrived.  sad

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861

Watched a video on weather.com and here's a neat fact- the moon's shadow  is traveling 1700 miles per hour so that's why the totality is 1-2 minutes!

Another interesting thing he pointed out- if you stand under a very (VERY) leafy tree, that has dapples of sunlight on the ground, look at the dapples. They will be crescent slivers! I'm headed to the country/barn tomorrow to film the barn going into 93% darkness, but definitely going to check out one particularly leafy tree's dapples. Weather.com had images yesterday, they were really neat (not perfect like the shoebox, but to me better because it's natural.) 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,397
    edited August 2017

If the humans are running around whooping and hollering at an eclipse in the 21st century then perhaps it is they who should be shut inside. enlightened Interesting, yes.  But whoop worthy?  It's going to happen regardless.  There's no surprise here. surprise

I had lunch in a restaurant today and sat at the bar to eat.  I mentioned the eclipse to the bar tender, and that except for the weather forecast, how I'd hoped to be driving 700 miles to see it.  Her reply was "why do you have to drive so far?"  I explained that it was the closest place to be to see the eclipse in totality.  She looked confused and said "Oh.  I don't know how those things work" and walked away.   I left it at that and pondered the effectiveness of our school system till my food arrived.  sad

@ LeatherGryphon: just wait seven more years and you won't have to drive as far, if at all. There will be 100% totality in Buffalo and Rochester: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/buffalo?iso=20240408

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited August 2017

If the humans are running around whooping and hollering at an eclipse in the 21st century then perhaps it is they who should be shut inside. enlightened Interesting, yes.  But whoop worthy?  It's going to happen regardless.  There's no surprise here. surprise

I had lunch in a restaurant today and sat at the bar to eat.  I mentioned the eclipse to the bar tender, and that except for the weather forecast, how I'd hoped to be driving 700 miles to see it.  Her reply was "why do you have to drive so far?"  I explained that it was the closest place to be to see the eclipse in totality.  She looked confused and said "Oh.  I don't know how those things work" and walked away.   I left it at that and pondered the effectiveness of our school system till my food arrived.  sad

@ LeatherGryphon: just wait seven more years and you won't have to drive as far, if at all. There will be 100% totality in Buffalo and Rochester: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/buffalo?iso=20240408

Yep, saw that earlier.  I've got 5 doctors on retainer, stocked up on vitamins, and cancelled my cremation appointment.  Eclipse comes first.  Now, I just have to put my plans to move to Florida on hold too. frown

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,904

Sunny CA and of course it's cloudy for the eclipse. Bah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_(Asimov_novelette_and_novel)

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146

Someone told me if you look at the ground where there are shadows from tree branches/leaves you will see hundreds of mini crescents/eclipses.  I tried and it is indeed true.  Quite cool.  

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

IMG_5654.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 4M
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,568

No eclipse for me. Fully foggy and clouded over in our typical pacific coast summer weather. It got darker for a while but if you hadn't told me it was eclipse I would've thought it was just thick cloud cover.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Pretty underwhelming here in Ohio at only about 80%

At least the weather cooperated for something this time.

Didn't see much, between it not being very high percent here and clouds. Best shot, through my terrible phone.

Eclipse 2017.jpg
    810 x 1080 - 283K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956

Here the lighting got interesting as you could tell it wasn't 'normal'. I didn't bother trying to look directly at it via any means. We typically have even more interesting lighting on evenings when both the remnants of rainy storms pass through at sunset.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Didn't see much, between it not being very high percent here and clouds. Best shot, through my terrible phone.

Made a very cool photo though

• In Vancouver we had 86% coverage and clear skies.  It definitley got dimmer, like a big cloud passed over the sun, but not as dark as I was imagining.  The warehouse guys built a viewing contraption with blackout wrap that we all passed around, so I did get to have a quick view of the eclipse at the peak time.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,662
    edited August 2017

It was really like a cloud passing over the sun here too. Considering the way we hear about pre-modern people freaking out about stuff like this I was sort of expecting to to a bit more signifigant. Kind of underwhelming. Maybe if I'd had the glasses it would have been cooler.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,816

I have glasses but still saw some of it with my naked eyes, which was bad.  Now my eyes are hurting.  I did not mean to look at it directly but it happened.

• It was really like a cloud passing over the sun here too. Considering the way we hear about pre-modern people freaking out about stuff like this I was sor of expecting to to a bit more signifigant. Kind of underwhelming. Maybe if I'd hade the glasses it would have been cooler.

Pre-modern people who "freaked out" were usually in an area of totality.  It gets dark enough to see the stars.  Imagine that happening to you when you have zero understanding of why.  Unless you are in the direct path, it is cool, but not nearly as dramatic as being at 100% total coverage. :) 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,656
    edited August 2017
    ...bere in Portland OR it was 99.2% total. Should have thought about hopping a bus to Salem but there was only one morning run (arriving there at around 8:55AM) and it with the distraction of having to move to s new place never made a reservation (yeah Running Dog does that now). Anyway, went to the neighbourhood schoolground to watch. Still pretty inpressive as it got really quiet and seemed eerie as the light dimned. Looking south I could notice the sky was darker and looking up just before the maximum I could see Venus and another bright star. The. Neatest effect was just before and during the maximum if you looked at the ground you could see a shimmering effect which was created by the sun's corona refracting around the moon's disk. Never thought to get a video of it as I was pointing it out to others. Already experienced a full total event back in 1979 when the astronomy dept. at my college chartered a bus to northwestern North Dakota where we had surprisingly clear skies for that time of year.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,585

My immediate supervisor was kind enough to let me take a gander, even using the glasses he acquired. I didn't even ask for time away from my desk. I first observed around 2 PM for a few moments, then we exited the building again at 2:35, about 2 or 3 minutes before we would get the most "coverage", around 85 to 90 percent. Basically, we had a very thin "crescent" of sun remaining, rather like the moon at its extreme first or last quarter. The overall light dimmed, casting an almost unsettling goldenrod hue. And as others have described, the temperature dropped considerably, from around 90 to something that felt like the high 70s. I didn't have a thermometer so I can't offer a precise reading. But it went from "sweltering" to quite "comfortable".

Puffy cumulus clouds started to obscure the sun during that first observation, but I discovered with the protective lenses, it was as though the cloud was not even there. For the 2:40 "near totality", the sun was totally free of clouds.

A few co-workers did the pinhole trick, but even by just curling one's fingers into a tight "OK" gesture, one could see a surprisingly sharp "projection" upon the ground! I didn't think that would work so well!

Anyway, the "show" is over. I didn't expect to witness it, but my manager was quite gracious.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146

Cool pic @dreamfarmer