OT Eclipse on Monday Where are you? Website shows Your Area

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited August 2017 in The Commons

The website Time And Date dot com has graphics/animations showing you what your area will see on Monday. It's really neat! Mine is Pensacola, Florida  so I provided the link so you can get to the site easily. If you can't get your city, Google in "eclipse in (city) and then choose the time and date site, as it will get you the closest town.

We're bringing the horses in the barn just to be on the safe side, as many barns across the United States are doing. Particularly those going in total darkness. It's very confusing for the animals, and we're going very dark here. Enjoy Monday, August 21st! 

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

I don't live too far from an area of total eclipse, less than 100 miles away, I was going to visit the Obed Scenic River NPS, but I decided I would instead tray to make short videos of the shadows being cast during the eclipse rather than the eclipse itself at home and for that the 99.8% ecplise or whatever it is in my area is better lighting for shadows.

Wherever, it should be neat.  

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I'm jealous! A few minutes ago, when the barn owner texted everyone to say the horses were coming in, was the first time I actually looked up the info on our area. I was surprised to see how much upper Florida was going to be in it. That's because it drops down toward South Carolina and we get it from that drop. 

I checked Connecticut for the East Coast, to see what was going on there, and it's fun to see the area covered is in reverse. The top of the sun is left showing for them, whereas we barely have a sliver of sun left on the bottom. Really neat!

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,757

I have no clue what I am doing as I do not know what I work Monday and also the event at the local library is too full for me to try to join this late in the game.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158

I live in NE Tennessee its going right through my back yard at a little after 2pm . 

edited August 2017
    Ivy said:
    I live in NE Tennessee its going right through my back yard at a little after 2pm . 

LOL you should set up chairs and charge admission!

Mod edit to correct the quoted member name

Post edited by Chohole on

Hubby and his friends are planning on a eclipes barbeque beer fest.   

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

We've got 85-90% coverage here in the Chicago area (don't remember what exactly was listed) between 11:53 to 2:54, with the most coverage at around 1:20.  Plan on going to a neigboring suburb that has a library giving out free glasses right next to a very large park - provided the heat before the eclipse isn't too bad, and that my daughter isn't in a mood to retreat into the house (First official day of school is Thursday, but because she's got an AP science class, she has to go in for an hour and a half each morning mon-wed)
    In which case, I'll be streaming it via NASA's site. :)

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

Here in NE Atlanta, we'll be at 98%-99% complete.  I'm very much looking forward to viewing it.  I've only seen one other.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited August 2017
    Novica said:

I'm jealous! A few minutes ago, when the barn owner texted everyone to say the horses were coming in, was the first time I actually looked up the info on our area. I was surprised to see how much upper Florida was going to be in it. That's because it drops down toward South Carolina and we get it from that drop. 

I checked Connecticut for the East Coast, to see what was going on there, and it's fun to see the area covered is in reverse. The top of the sun is left showing for them, whereas we barely have a sliver of sun left on the bottom. Really neat!

I didn't realize they had horses commonly in Pensicola. When I lived in Florida the big horse farms where between Orlando and Lake Okeechobee.

I seen one when I lived in Zürich but it wasn't total or I don't remember it being total.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,357
    edited August 2017
    hphoenix said:

Here in NE Atlanta, we'll be at 98%-99% complete.  I'm very much looking forward to viewing it.  I've only seen one other.

If you are that close to totality, it is well worth driving  to a point about in the center of the path of totality Clemson / Greenville, GA).  It is much more spectacular than even 98%

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited August 2017
    hphoenix said:

If you are that close to totality, it is well worth driving  to a point about in the center of the path of totality Clemson / Greenville, GA).  It is much more spectacular than even 98%

so not worth fighting the crowds . in Tennessee they are already telling people to bring plenty of water and expect long delays along  I-81 and I40 Ashville which is only 40 miles from me is expecting over a million people we are expecting 99.7% totality in my area

Post edited by Ivy on

Yeah, I heard it was going to be absolutely crazy. They had an interview with a Colorado official who was explaining everything the neighboring states (bordering the ones who will have the total eclipse)  were doing to help traffic and keep emergency responders well placed. The space station astronauts will get to see it three times, if I recall correctly.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,817

I'll be in St. Louis area visiting my sisters. One of their houses is in the totality zone, the other just outside it (99+%). So hopefully we'll be in the right spot, as long as it doesn't get cloudy.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933

68 percent in Upstate New York. Skies are supposed to be clear. Might try a pinhole viewer. Two paper plates are real cheap and easy to find.

Oh, here's an even more specific site to tell you the exact percent of coverage, the minute it starts, what your percent of coverage is, and when the peak time is.

Click here.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited August 2017

Looks like where you are in Flordia you'll be seeing a tiny bit more of the eclipse than I will be here in California. I would love to go see the total eclipse but I'm pretty far from the closest place where you can view it, sadly.

Thank you for the link, by the way! It's good to know the exact time I'll be able to see the practical eclipse. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • I live in Idaho, about a 20 drive minutes from the line of totality. I had planned to drive up to a park and watch the eclipse from there. Then the authorities began forecasting 400,000+ extra people in the area, these small towns are freaking out over potential accidents and cell phone service going down. They are saying that morning from my house to the totality will be a 2+hour drive, for a normal twenty minute trip. No thanks, I'll stay home and enjoy the 99.2% I'll get in my backyard ;)

I sure hope the weather cooperates for everyone. If you go to accuweather.com you can even see hourly, and how much precip for your exact location. Pensacola is 8% at 1pm, 43% at 2pm, and our best time to view is 1:30pm.  For Florida, a 40% ish in the summer is good- sure beats 60-70% that we've had off and on each day.  I can't imagine ALL those people who are traveling so far, getting into a totally cloudy "ruin it" weather day. Hope it is good weather.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,170

Unfortunately for those of us in the UK we will barely see a tiny chink out of the sun just before sunset (assuming a clear sky which is unlikely) - I was so sad that the last real eclipse we had a few years ago was spoiled by total overcast (could barely see there was a sun at all!) And the next is due in about sixty years so if I manage to see that I'll be extremely surprised :)

But I hope you lucky folks all get a really good view (and I'm sure I'll see coverage on TV or internet)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited August 2017

If you don't have the special glasses, could poke a hole in a shoebox and watch it that way.  I'm in DC so 81% eclipse.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,265
    edited August 2017
    Diomede said:

If you don't have the special glasses, could poke a hole in a shoebox and watch it that way.  I'm in DC so 81% eclipse.

You can also use binoculars held with the front towards the sun and the back to project the image onto a suitable screen (sheet of card, for example). Holding them steady and aimed (because of course you must not look through them) is tricky but it is manageable (as I recall I used the shadow to help, while there was a weak one, as it would spread when the aim was wrong), and the experience can then be shared with a group - I did that with the UK eclipse, and it actually helped to screen out some of the overcast as I recall.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

I shall be working which is probably just as well it is usually foggy here on the pacific coast  and I likely won't see anything. crying

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,211
    edited August 2017

60 miles south of Buffalo, NY.  I was planning on driving to South Carolina but weather reports are iffy.  I had motel reservations and everything.  But decided that I'm not going to spend $400 to drive 725 miles to watch the bottoms of clouds for two minutes. frown  Especially since I'm way over budget this summer anyway.  So, last night just 4 hours short of the deadline, I cancelled my motels and unpacked my car.   I'll wait another 30 years.  I'll only be 98. crying

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

Vedic astrology recommends avoiding being exposed to the shadow as it is considered very malific, as are eclipses in general.

Just for those ``what if.......`` thinkers among you. 

edited August 2017

Vedic astrology recommends avoiding being exposed to the shadow as it is considered very malific, as are eclipses in general.

There might be something in that theory.  I've come to firmly believe that the biggest cause of death is life. devil

Pseudoscience is wonderful it can be used to explain anything.  But real science is stuck with proving reality.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

There might be something in that theory.  I've come to firmly believe that the biggest cause of death is life. devil

Pseudoscience is wonderful it can be used to explain anything.  But real science is stuck with proving reality.

You could be right.

Then again it could have been a way of reducing the incidence of blindness following an eclipse during a time of little real ``science.``

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

Make sure if you have pets they aren't outside. Animal's eyes can be damaged by looking directly into the sun.

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

60 miles south of Buffalo, NY.     

...I'll wait another 30 years.  I'll only be 98. crying

If you can struggle on until age 75, there's a total solar eclipse that goes directly over Buffalo on April 8th 2024 (with 3 mins 45 secs of delicious daytime darkness).

http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEgmap/2001-2100/SE2024Apr08Tgmap.html

60 miles south will very likely put you just outside the path of totality, so you'll probably still need to travel a bit.

Make sure if you have pets they aren't outside. Animal's eyes can be damaged by looking directly into the sun.

Do you really think the animals will be looking at the sun?  I give them a little more credit than that.  Humans on the otherhand, maybe not so much.

60 miles south of Buffalo, NY.     

...I'll wait another 30 years.  I'll only be 98. crying

If you can struggle on until age 75, there's a total solar eclipse that goes directly over Buffalo on April 8th 2024 (with 3 mins 45 secs of delicious daytime darkness).

http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEgmap/2001-2100/SE2024Apr08Tgmap.html

60 miles south will very likely put you just outside the path of totality, so you'll probably still need to travel a bit.

Oh, cool! smiley  At 75 I might be able to make it.  Even if I have to hobble to Buffalo.