Getting more RAM

I upgradeing ram, but I can't decided on how much to get. I'm tring to decided between 16gb and 24gb(the most mt board supports.) 

How much should I get and will a 850w power suply be enough?

Comments

• Which applications do you use, and if daz Studio which renderer and what GPU do you have?

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    edited August 2017

The answer to you question lies with your processor and motherboard.

Core i7 or Xeon + LGA 1366 Motherboard = Tripple channel RAM - 24GB should be populated as 3x8GB or 6x4GB
    Core i7 or Xeon + LGA 2011 Motherboard = Quad channel RAM - 16GB should be populated as 4x4GB or 8x2GB (or 32GB should be 4x8GB or 8x4GB)
    Core i7 or Xeon + LGA 2066 Motherboard = Quad channel RAM - 16GB should be populated as 4x4GB (or 32GB should be 4x8GB or 8x4GB)
    AMD Threadripper = Quad Channel RAM -16GB should be populated as 4x4GB (or 32GB should be 4x8GB or 8x4GB)
    All other modern CPUs = Dual channel RAM - 16GB should be populated as 4x4GB or 2x8GB, and 24GB should be populated as 2x8GB + 2x4GB

850w is plenty of juice

Post edited by JamesJAB on
  • Mother boarder is a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 Core i7.
    GPU is an EVGA Geforce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2gb.
     I most use Daz Studio, but tring to learn Blender. 

LGA1366 uses a tripple channel setup and maxes out at 24GB.  How much RAM is installed in the system right now?
    You have 6 slots for RAM each can populate a 4GB stick.  Your tripple channel options are as follows:

• 3GB = 3x1GB
    • 6GB = 6x1GB or 3x2GB
    • 9GB = 3x2GB + 3x1GB
    • 12GB = 6x2GB or 3x4GB
    • 15GB = 3x4GB + 3x1GB
    • 18GB = 3x4GB + 3x2GB
    • 24GB = 6x4GB

Any other RAM configurations are not recommended. 

Your video card is a whole nother can of worms.  If you render in 3Delight then you are just fine and do not need to upgrade.  For Iray on the other hand you need a Nvidia card with more VRAM.  While 2GB meets the recommended minimum for Iray, you really want at least 4GB because the entire scene needs to fit into the Video Card's RAM for it to perform the render job.  If you do more than just portraits with with a single figure and background, you will want at least an 8GB card.

• NinjaUmbreonNinjaUmbreon Posts: 21
    edited August 2017

I have 8gb. I was planning to get 16gb of ram, but I notice 24gb for sale on newegg.ca and was wounding if it would be worth it to go with 24gb, since I'd prefer to get 4x4gb stickes, witch would make jumping later cost more. 

If I went 2x8gb dule channle could I later add one single 8gb to bring it to 24 if I feel that I need to?

Edit: In terms of over all performance would it be better to stick with 16gb of ram or goto 24gb?

Post edited by NinjaUmbreon on

Your motherboard manufacturer lists the maximum RAM as 24GB for your board, so I wouldn't want to risk buying 8GB.  Most likely the board will only see up to 4GB in each slot.
    Also with your board, you need to think in sets of three.  The 8GB you have in there right now are only running in dual channel mode so you only get 2/3 of the speed that your motherboard is capable of.

• I'll keep that in mind. Would it be better to get 12gb of Ram running triple channel over 16 running dual?

Yes and no.  Yes because your system will be able to access it faster, and no because it is less ram for the system to use.

You could always do 3x4GB and 3x2GB for a total of 18GB  That would still get you running in tripple channel mode.

• Dose the sets of ram need to run with the same timing, cast latency, or voltage?

You should try and keep them as close to matching as you can.  It's not the end of the world if you cant, because it should bring all of the installed RAM down to match the slowest speed installed.

• So have the timing and cast lanency off by one should be that big of a problem then.

The only time that might come into play as an issue is if you are trying to overclock and get every little tiny bit of performance out of your system.

Running stock speeds, they sould all default down to the speed/latency of the slowest RAM in your system.

• Well, I didn't plan on overclocking so that should be a problem. I think that I'll go with 3x4gb + 3x2gb, and if I need more I'll get anoth 3x4gb set.

Thanks for the advice.