How do you deal with things that shouldn't stretch with auto-conform?

eric suscheric susch Posts: 131
edited August 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

I'm wondering how people deal with things like the button on the right side of this jacket.  It's stretching like a melting clock.  I could fix it or remove it in photoshop but is there any way to fix it inside DAZ Studio on the model, or prevent it from happening before you autoconform the jacket?

Mister Zero (wide) 640x427.jpg
640 x 427 - 150K
Post edited by eric susch on

Comments

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421

Hi
    in some case you can found some 'other' parameters if you check the 'SHOW HIDDEN'
    also you can select the part of the clothes and use resize (x/y/z) 
    another way is to play with the character body part (hidden or resize)

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,520
    edited August 2017

In my experience the DS autofit feature is very messy. This is why an outfit designed specifically for a figure is always better than an auto-fitted one. As far as I know there are no tools in DS to fix an auto-fitted outfit, since DS is not a modeling package. What I do is to adjust the autofit in Blender. Well I mostly use DS as a character and scene generator for Blender anyway. The tutorial below from SickleYield may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npue0bHmjkk

EDIT: also this one from Josh Darling explains some basic tools you have right inside DS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L3srVYivaU

Post edited by Padone on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

rigidity groups

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

a recent auto-follow issue with hair trick may be relevant:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/189051/disabling-auto-follow-on-ears-so-hair-won-t-conform-solved

hope this helps,

--ms

• It depends why the button is stretching - a Rigidity group will deal with stretching due to an auto-followed morph, but will not do anything for stretching due to the weight-maps. Editing the weight map - to give the button a uniform weight, matching the weight t its point of attachment - would help with the bend stretching but not the morph stretching. A Rigid Follow node (a special group on the main item, to which a separate button prop is then parented) would help with both kinds of stretching.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,065

Rigidity groups help, but sometimes I work with very small items and selecting vertices in Daz Studio turns the entire area into a large highlighted blob.  Is there a way to fix this, so it's easier to see what I'm working on?

• If the thing you want to select is separate from the rest of the msh you could just select one part and then use ctr/cmd * to select all connected.

I can select all vertices and add them to a rigidity group, but the problem is adding reference points.  Does it matter if I add the same vertices to both the rigidity group and reference points, or must reference points be vertices outside the rigidity group?

• As far as I know refernces can be in the rigidity group or not

• eric suscheric susch Posts: 131

Thanks for all the suggestions!  It's going to take some time to explore them especially rigidity groups but it will help tremendously especially for animation, if I can get it to work.

I found this video to be informative on setting up rigidity groups:

The one important thing that they never tell you in any Daz tutorials, is that you have to have a special panel open called Tool Settings.  You can open it from Window -> Panes/Tabs -> Tool Settings, then drag it to the right side to dock it.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391

In the case of something as simple as that single button, filling the button with solid weighting would keep it round.  But, for bigger issues, a combination of different techniques, as described by others in this thread, would be needed.