G8F to Blender help needed

Since Hexagon keeps crashing on my machine, I've decided to move to Blender.  I want to export a zeroed G8F "dummy" to Blender, to use as a mannekin to model and make clothes for G8F.  There was a way to do this in Hexagon, by deleting the textures and shader nodes.  I can't seem to find a similar tutorial for this using Blender.  Does anyone have an idea on how to do this?  In the picture, I see this in D|S under Development Kit, but not sure how to utilize it.  Is this what I need?

Thanks,

-Starkdog 

G8F.JPG
354 x 492 - 36K

Comments

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited August 2017

That script will export a wavefront object file to you hard drive.

In blender you need to File > import > Wavefront to get it in.

But wait. There's more.

Blender wants to break up object files into groups by default. This is bad. So on the import setting in blender use exactly these settings.

Once you have entered them, you can click the + next to Operator Presets to save the settings, and next time you need it you can just select it from the drop down.

When you are ready to send the result back to Studio, you need to use File > Export Wavefront and use these settings. Again, you can save them as an Operator Preset in blender and use them again in the future.

And that, gentleman, is how we do that.

01export.png
    235 x 559 - 386K
    01import.png
    237 x 258 - 180K
    Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • StarkdogStarkdog Posts: 162

Singular Blues,

Thank you!!!  I was able to import G8F, but she is ginormous!  Do I need to set any units in Blender, or does D|S and Blender use the same units?  I know in Poser, there were PNU's which was confusing.

Thanks,

-Starkdog

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited August 2017

No they don't use the same units. Or, more accurately, they scale differently. A blender unit is 1% of a Studio unit. 

If you mean to import back to DS, leave it be. No point in it. It just creates an extra step you need to get it back into Studio. A new point of failure.

Just work with huge. I do it all the time, and don't really think about it.

Note, leaving it be means that the object file you export will be in Studio's native scale. That's why there's no point. Blender works find at any scale, and the reslting otput is ready for Studio with no other steps required.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

No they don't use the same units. Or, more accurately, they scale differently. A blender unit is 1% of a Studio unit. 

If you mean to import back to DS, leave it be. No point in it. It just creates an extra step you need to get it back into Studio. A new point of failure.

Just work with huge. I do it all the time, and don't really think about it.

Note, leaving it be means that the object file you export will be in Studio's native scale. That's why there's no point. Blender works find at any scale, and the reslting otput is ready for Studio with no other steps required.

Exactly the way I do it - never saw the point in messing with the scale if it is going to be re-imported. Just zoom in and out in the Blender viewport.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744
    edited August 2017

<Deleted because I'm moving my post to a new thread>

Post edited by Inkubo on
  • PedroCPedroC Posts: 194
    edited August 2017
    Starkdog said:

Singular Blues,

Thank you!!!  I was able to import G8F, but she is ginormous!  Do I need to set any units in Blender, or does D|S and Blender use the same units?  I know in Poser, there were PNU's which was confusing.

Thanks,

-Starkdog

Before Import your figure with the DAZ export units, set the Blender Units in the Scene Tab>Units to cm. (Blender 2.78c)

Blender DAZ Units 01.png
    1503 x 1015 - 328K
    DAZ_to_Blender_export.png
    473 x 548 - 36K
    Post edited by PedroC on