Animal whiskers?

Anyone have a ready made addon or a tutorial for making animal type whiskers?  I want them to be very fine...much like the real thing...not overstated, but there.  My dog has very long whiskers on his snout.  most of the time, you don't notice them because they are fine and translucent.  But, it's one of those detail that you'd miss if you were to clip them off of him.

So, I'm not looking for a cartoony type look that says CAT in big letters or anything...just something to remind the viewer that this is a wild creature.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Also, I do own both Garibaldi and LAMH...although, I've never used them.  So, possibly a preset?

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 912
    edited August 2017

Could you use Catgirl Genesis https://www.daz3d.com/catgirl-genesis ? I believe they are not geografts so could be fitted to almost anything. Actually with a little work you could probably steal Millineum Cat's whiskers. (Just turn off the rest of the cat.)

Post edited by MarcCCTx on
  • MarcCCTx said:

Could you use Catgirl Genesis https://www.daz3d.com/catgirl-genesis ? I believe they are not geografts so could be fitted to almost anything. Actually with a little work you could probably steal Millineum Cat's whiskers. (Just turn off the rest of the cat.)

The Catgirl whiskers are too much the toon type.  But, that's a good thought about the MC.  I'll take a look at that.

• MarcCCTx said:

The Catgirl whiskers are too much the toon type.  But, that's a good thought about the MC.  I'll take a look at that.

I didn't have the MC.  So, I tried the AM Rodent, then used Luster Hair Shaders on them and lowered the opacity by 2/3.  This is very close to what I'm after.  I'd love to save this new head as a single mesh.  But, I'm guessing that would totally through the geometry off...same as trying to save hair with a head.  That said, I wonder if I can save just the whiskers as an obj, or if the export would still try to save the entire squirrel....hmmm.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 912

Maybe import the obj into Blender (free) throw away the rest and export.

• MarcCCTx said:

Maybe import the obj into Blender (free) throw away the rest and export.

Good thought...I have Blender and Carrara...just don't know how to use them much.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited August 2017
    MarcCCTx said:

I didn't have the MC.  So, I tried the AM Rodent, then used Luster Hair Shaders on them and lowered the opacity by 2/3.  This is very close to what I'm after.  I'd love to save this new head as a single mesh.  But, I'm guessing that would totally through the geometry off...same as trying to save hair with a head.  That said, I wonder if I can save just the whiskers as an obj, or if the export would still try to save the entire squirrel....hmmm.

If you hide everything but the whiskers, you can export to an object and have just the whiskers in your new object. You'll need to import them back in, of course, and then apply the surface settings from the squirrel. You don't delete the squirrel to export, so if you import while he's still in the scene, you can just copy and paste the surface settings. Then be sure to save a Materials Preset for our new whiskers, for future use.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • cdpro_2831bbd990cdpro_2831bbd990 Posts: 1,430
    edited August 2017

oops...double post.

Irhindrow 6.jpg
    1199 x 1697 - 1M
    Post edited by cdpro_2831bbd990 on
  • cdpro_2831bbd990cdpro_2831bbd990 Posts: 1,430
    edited August 2017

On a related note.  I was wondering how to get that (like fox ears) hairy look to the ear tips.  I have Peach Fuzz.  But, it mostly affects the ear lobe, with only a tiny amount on the ear tip.  Here's my Irhindrow tree folk with the AM Squirrel whiskers and peach fuzz on the cheeks.  The scale is a bit off when using the squirrel whiskers, because the eye whiskers are further up on a human than the squirrel model.  But, it's still not bad.  I do think I'll edit the face texture to match the hair pores to the the whiskers...just to add a bit more realism  Overall, I think the skin could use some more pores.  I'll try NGS2 on the skin and see what happens....could be crazy. :)  I might also add the squirrel tail...LOL  

Post edited by cdpro_2831bbd990 on
  • L'Adair said:
    MarcCCTx said:

If you hide everything but the whiskers, you can export to an object and have just the whiskers in your new object. You'll need to import them back in, of course, and then apply the surface settings from the squirrel. You don't delete the squirrel to export, so if you import while he's still in the scene, you can just copy and paste the surface settings. Then be sure to save a Materials Preset for our new whiskers, for future use.

Yes, I think that could work if I save the parented whiskers and character as a scene subset.