Backdrop... uh... did I somehow turn it off?

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have a backdrop applied in an image, but I can't seem to get it to show now in the final render... and I'm at a loss as to why, it always did before! Does anyone know how I turned it off and where I need to turn it back on again?

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Did you save the final render as a .png or .tif format image? Then the problem is in whatever you're using to view the final render — the backdrop probably is in the pic, as you've always seen it, but those two formats (png and tif) store the backdrop as a separate alpha channel in the image file. Many image viewers and paint programs automatically make this alpha channel invisible when you load a pic that has one. This "automatically invisible" behaviour should be changeable in the viewer program.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I think I figured out what was wrong... I had an object with a glass shader in front of it, and apparently 3Delight doesn't like that... hmmm....

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

An easy work around if png or tiff is your preferred image format is to use a primitive plane and add your image to it. Add the Image in the Diffuse Channel with color set to White 100% and also to the Ambient channel also set to white at full power and you do not need to add a light to get the image to show in your renders.

EDIT: Transparency and Ambient on glass can cause that. Check both with spot renders.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I did TIF, PNG and JPG... alpha channel deleted in XNVIew showed me nothing... basically, it was a star field through a window... I solved the issue by creating a plane, parenting it to the camera and sizing it to fit the aspect ratio... it works... had to make sure shadows didn't get applied to it, so I had to use UberSurf...

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nice work around, I'll note that one down.

edited December 1969

ran into a snag, though... I have a glass shader applied to a round object and the thing is showing the square with the rest of the backdrop not showing :( so I have to make a sphere....

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

In the render settings you need to increase the raytrace bounce, at least to 4.