Transferring figure morphs and fixing eye rigging rotation reversal?

Been playing with transferring morphs from G2 to G3/G3 to G8 with SickleYields instructions http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Transferring-Character-Morphs-G1G2G3G8-409437916 with great results.

So far are that the eye rigging seems to mirror/reverse (rotation right becomes rotation left as well as up/down) on Genesis 2 to Genesis 3 as well as Genesis 3 to Genesis 8, I have not tried Genesis 2 to Genesis 8 yet.

Also when moving Callie(G2) to Genesis 3, the eyes seem to break and wrinkle around the iris. I had no mesh issues transferring Girl7 to Genesis 8 however the eye rotation reversal was also present.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Here's the thing, and it's super important.

When you adjust rigging you are presented with 3 final options. Center Point, End Point, and Orientation. One of them is not checked by default. It's that way for a reason.

As a rule, you want to avoid checking Adjust Orientation until all else fails to give a good result. Because, most of the time, it will mess up something.

In the case of the eyes, the reason for this is that the Eyes are already rotated 180 degrees (On G3, the eye lids are also thus rotated). When you adjust rotation, Studio "fixes" this because there's nothing in the model data that demands this. They should be like this (if only because every subsequent product expects them to be, so expression poses are designed for eyeballs rotated by 180 degrees) but you can't determinae that from first principles, which is what adjust rigging basically does).

I've had people disagree with me on this point. They are wrong. Don't use Adjust Orientation unless you don't see any other way to reasonably get good rigging. There's a simple reason why.

Partial morphs. Let's say you adjust orientation on the eyes. ERC freeze and save. You just know that things are reverse on that character. Then, you decide to do a figure that is half that character and half Vicky.

Well, you only dialed that character in by half. Which mean, rather that her eye's rotating 180 degrees, they rotate 90. They're sideways. This is going to be true of any bone. If the figure's new shape is extemely radical (non-human) you may need to adjust orientations, not matter what. But in the case of human shapes, you almost always inject more issues with that check box than you solve.

As far as eyes go, this is down to the fact that there a lot of verticies very close together, and they eyes are usually very different in number of verts. Studio is "guessing" which ones have to move when projecting the morph transfer. It usually guess wrong with the eyes. Most of the time, the damage is so slight, that you just don't notice. But reports by others suggest Callie is a serial offender, here. It's pretty common for transfers of that character to fail in the eyes. One day there may be a solution. Today is not that day.

If you look very closely, you will probably find bas verts in the Girl. Because they happen with every transfer. The Girl is an occassional exception. Most of time, the bad trasfer is visible because the eyes are made larger by the morph. This scales up the distortion as well. For the most part, the Girl is reported coming across okay. This is unusual for big eyed morphs.

There's a thread on G3 Morphs to G8. In there, an enterprising fellow describes a method using rigid follow that can reduce eye distortion, though it probably won't help with Callie (this method protects the eye ball, while Callie tends to get distortion of the eyelid. Again, there may be a solution one day, but not right now. You basically just try different methods and hope one gets a decent result (there are a number of different ways to make transfers. Two are in my sig, made by Redz).

• Here's the thing, and it's super important.

When you adjust rigging you are presented with 3 final options. Center Point, End Point, and Orientation. One of them is not checked by default. It's that way for a reason.

As a rule, you want to avoid checking Adjust Orientation until all else fails to give a good result. Because, most of the time, it will mess up something.

In the case of the eyes, the reason for this is that the Eyes are already rotated 180 degrees (On G3, the eye lids are also thus rotated). When you adjust rotation, Studio "fixes" this because there's nothing in the model data that demands this. They should be like this (if only because every subsequent product expects them to be, so expression poses are designed for eyeballs rotated by 180 degrees) but you can't determinae that from first principles, which is what adjust rigging basically does).

I've had people disagree with me on this point. They are wrong. Don't use Adjust Orientation unless you don't see any other way to reasonably get good rigging. There's a simple reason why.

Partial morphs. Let's say you adjust orientation on the eyes. ERC freeze and save. You just know that things are reverse on that character. Then, you decide to do a figure that is half that character and half Vicky.

Well, you only dialed that character in by half. Which mean, rather that her eye's rotating 180 degrees, they rotate 90. They're sideways. This is going to be true of any bone. If the figure's new shape is extemely radical (non-human) you may need to adjust orientations, not matter what. But in the case of human shapes, you almost always inject more issues with that check box than you solve.

As far as eyes go, this is down to the fact that there a lot of verticies very close together, and they eyes are usually very different in number of verts. Studio is "guessing" which ones have to move when projecting the morph transfer. It usually guess wrong with the eyes. Most of the time, the damage is so slight, that you just don't notice. But reports by others suggest Callie is a serial offender, here. It's pretty common for transfers of that character to fail in the eyes. One day there may be a solution. Today is not that day.

If you look very closely, you will probably find bas verts in the Girl. Because they happen with every transfer. The Girl is an occassional exception. Most of time, the bad trasfer is visible because the eyes are made larger by the morph. This scales up the distortion as well. For the most part, the Girl is reported coming across okay. This is unusual for big eyed morphs.

There's a thread on G3 Morphs to G8. In there, an enterprising fellow describes a method using rigid follow that can reduce eye distortion, though it probably won't help with Callie (this method protects the eye ball, while Callie tends to get distortion of the eyelid. Again, there may be a solution one day, but not right now. You basically just try different methods and hope one gets a decent result (there are a number of different ways to make transfers. Two are in my sig, made by Redz).

Thanks for this explanation.  I was just noticing yesterday how some of my transferred morphs had the reverse orientation.  I'm going to go back and make sure that box is unchecked and try adjusting the rigging again.