Four Puzzling Questions about Carrara 8.5 from a new Old user :) One Solved

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930
edited July 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Hya thanks for advice or notes:

Four questions. One solved.

1) Work around for large loading times for figure hair in 8.5 - as opposite to 8.1?

I've been using 8.5 for a while now and noticed that figure hair takes an awfully long time to load while Carrara injects all the morphs - yawn.

The same hair loaded in 8.1 loads almost instantaneously (well  in seconds).

Any workarounds people have for this? Apart fro loading the v4 into 8.1 fitting the hair and then saving it out and reloading the scene in 8.5.

2) I have a new Win 10 machine. Renders very fast , but when I load a new object/figure or whatever into a scene, then render, Carrara slows down for the first render, then gets back up to speef if I render the same scene immediatly after. One scene took 4 mins, the next time 60 seconds or less.

Anyone else notice this? Is there a workaround? Eg increasing cache? I tried rendering the scene very small first, then at the usual size, not sure if it made any difference.

3) Are people running two instances of Car 8.5 simultaneously.  If so did you have any problems - eg file errors.

I was running 8.5 and 8.1 today, but in 8.1 when I clicked centre hotpoint for a mesh in 8.1 I got a file error ( or similar) and other strange errors. 

Closing and reopening the file didnt fix it.

I'll be trying two instances of 8.5 tonight.

4) Occasionally when I have a few M4's in a scene when I go to eg expand waist, all that expands is the head. Anyone else having this?

I'm not sure if it is after using Fenric's tree duplicate, but if I save the culprit M4 out the same thing happens when I reload it in a different file.

I have been using VWD frequently - could it be  that I need to add a new NLA track to allow me to tweak the figure parameters - ?

thanks in advance !

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,859

1) Work around for large loading times for figure hair in 8.5 - as opposite to 8.1?

I'd like to knnow as well... can sometimes take up to 20 minutes to load some hair and some I just give up on indecision

2) I have a new Win 10 machine. Renders very fast , but when I load a new object/figure or whatever into a scene, then render, Carrara slows down for the first render, then gets back up to speef if I render the same scene immediatly after. One scene took 4 mins, the next time 60 seconds or less.

Did you check out the tips in the other thread I linked to... could be something in your new PC settings

3 ; Nope.... can't help

4 : Nope... no good here either

Make sure your NVidia drivers are up to date and aren't the MS ones from WinX.. just got a notification today from Nvidia for new ones.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930

Thanks Stezza, didnt see anything that might twig in that thread but I'll have a re read. And will check the drivers again -

I was having trouble with Topaz Impression suddemly crashing but it seemed to fix itself ... so I forgot about the drivers.

Yes those hair loading times are amazingly bad - I wonder if they are pumping up the file size too? Will check that this evening.

cheers from sunny Newie :)

one solved - number 3 - two instances of car 8.5 run happily together 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945
    head wax said:

one solved - number 3 - two instances of car 8.5 run happily together 

but your plugins can start asking for serials

edited July 2017

ah thanks, haven't run into that yet but will be ready!

Post edited by Headwax on