Toon Style stuff? Dress up Dolls?

My daughter draws anime and often I try to lure her into 3d with cute things.  We both drool over Littlefox's stuff a lot.  It has come to my attention that she has a thing for dress up dolls.  She had me hunt down her old KiSS files and I saw how very attatched to them she was when she insisted on having every single cheesy one of them.  She favors hand drawing things and I have said she could get stuff done faster in Daz but she doesn't believe Daz can make a toon that looks hand drawn.  I spotted a 3d mermaid tail I OWN on a dressup doll that claimed to be handpainted.  Touch ups, sure but the bulk of that doll was rendered.  She hopes to make money doing commision works here and there off deviant art when she gets good.  I think dressup dolls might provide her money as well.  I can't draw toons but I'd love to make a dress up doll.  I have tons of Daz things but they are very realistic.  I wondering if Toon Cam might be what I need to get backgrounds and things done and help me generate dress-up doll stuff.  Also what other things could help?  I have added stuff to my wishlist but it will take me saving up and looking for sales. It will take time but I want to switch gears and do some toon stuff myself.  Maybe sell a unicorn coffee mug?

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,414

I'm not sure what a "Dress up doll" is, but I've seem at least one recent forum thread about someone having problems with Toony Cam Pro. You might want to search for threads about that product and see how people are using it and whether their problems were resolved.

• RitaCelesteRitaCeleste Posts: 625

Thanks!  I will look.  Some people are not into the look of 3d toons and want them to look 2d and flat.  I love how Star 2 looks just as is in the iray pictures.  The backgrounds and and making scenes that look like toons is where I am stuck.  Toon Cam would solve the problem so I'll search for info on it.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

You mean those dress-up games I've seen online where you can dress up different characters in different outfits and hair styles to create a kind of unique picture and save them?  I think those could easily be possible in DS with the right tools.  Toony Cam is easy to use once you know how to work around its little quirks.  One option is to do realistic renders and then use post work with a 2D program that can do toons.  I like the new Iray shader for toons - Sketchy.  There are a few shaders that work well in 3Delight as well.  It all depends on the type of look she is trying to achieve.  Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of strictly anime stuff here in the daz store.  She might have to get a little bit creative.  It is possible, though.  I do some work with toons so if you have examples of her work, I could give you a better idea of what she might be able to do with DS.

• barbult said:

I'm not sure what a "Dress up doll" is, but I've seem at least one recent forum thread about someone having problems with Toony Cam Pro. You might want to search for threads about that product and see how people are using it and whether their problems were resolved.

Toony Cam is working perfectly for me now. 

There is another: https://www.daz3d.com/linerender9000

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,561

There are 2D programs specifically for doing manga, probably anime too.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

My daughter draws anime and often I try to lure her into 3d with cute things.  We both drool over Littlefox's stuff a lot.  It has come to my attention that she has a thing for dress up dolls.  She had me hunt down her old KiSS files and I saw how very attatched to them she was when she insisted on having every single cheesy one of them.  She favors hand drawing things and I have said she could get stuff done faster in Daz but she doesn't believe Daz can make a toon that looks hand drawn.  I spotted a 3d mermaid tail I OWN on a dressup doll that claimed to be handpainted.  Touch ups, sure but the bulk of that doll was rendered.  She hopes to make money doing commision works here and there off deviant art when she gets good.  I think dressup dolls might provide her money as well.  I can't draw toons but I'd love to make a dress up doll.  I have tons of Daz things but they are very realistic.  I wondering if Toon Cam might be what I need to get backgrounds and things done and help me generate dress-up doll stuff.  Also what other things could help?  I have added stuff to my wishlist but it will take me saving up and looking for sales. It will take time but I want to switch gears and do some toon stuff myself.  Maybe sell a unicorn coffee mug?

Oh wow, KISS files. That takes me back to the 90s. I used to have a huge collection of KISS files back then, all the classic anime. Sailor Moon, Ranma, Lum.

Hmmm... I could probably easily model a 2D cutout that is rigged and then make 2D cut out outfits for it. Make a flat KISS like figure in DAZ. You would have to have the camera angle set head-on for it to work. I'll have to experiment with it later. It would look hand drawn because it essentially would be hand drawn, but unlike KISS files it would have some limited posability.

As for getting 2D renders with Daz Studio. A lot of it will depend on the textures on the models. You won't want realism and too much detail. Simple hand painted textures will go a long way. Daz has some okay 2D resources like Toony Cam and the Visual Styles shaders but they don't pull off a truly convincing 2D. What makes 2D look 2D is the flatness of the shading. In traditional hand drawn anime they used a 3 colour cell shading. An object would only have three colour tones for it. There would be the base colour tone, the shadow colour tone and if it was an object that had any specular a highlight colour tone. With no gradient of shading it makes the illustration look flat. It's a lot of work to try and get something similar to that in Daz Studio. Now for backgrounds you can always do a hand painted backgrounds and this was one of the areas where a lot of anime really shone. Look at Miyazaki's stuff and you can get totally lost in those rich watercoloured backgrounds. They're absolutely breath taking.  It wouldn't be hard at all to just paint a background for your render. The hard part will be making the model not jump out from that background which is difficult in 3D.

Now a still render is going to be much easier to pull off a convincing 2D render than an animation and that's because 3D animation is much more fluid and precise and hand drawn animation. If you look at an anime like Kemono Friends, an individual frame looks pretty close to hand drawn, but when you see the frames animated it becomes obvious that they're 3D models animated over top of billboard backgrounds with hand painted textures.

• What is a KISS file? google doesn't help me with this. I only find lips.

KISS dolls were essentially a digital version of those paper dolls you'd cut out with clothing that you'd cut out and put on them. They ranged from fully innocent to hard core hentai too. They were really big in the 90s and early 2000s.

Okay here's a quick cell shading test done with my Lolo Hai figure and the Desert Warrior outfit. I've used the Visual Styles Manga shaders and the Geometry Shell shaders (with a geometry cell of course). Now when I made the Lolo Hai figure I had 2D in mind so the figure is designed to use hand painted textures for the face to give it a more 2D look.

I could get this render to look even more cell shaded but I'd have to make different texture maps to plug into the different colour tones. But I could probably get something approaching the cell shading in Kemono Friends using Daz Studio and the VS Manga shaders and a Geometry Shell for the outline.

You can find the Lolo Hai chibi figure and a whole slew of outfits and utilities for it on my ShareCG account if you want to experiment with making 2D styled renders with it.

https://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=ghastly

Gerudo Cell 1.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 109K
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,270

Oh! You mean like the old Doll Maker sites? I've been using avitars made in those for yonks. Not sure that they are even still online (or usable). Last I knew, the one I used was still online, but all the images were broken links, so not particularly useful.

Experiment using Geograft eyes on the Lolo Figure and cell shading.

Gerudo Cell 6.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 112K
  • martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,347
    edited July 2017

KISS dolls were essentially a digital version of those paper dolls you'd cut out with clothing that you'd cut out and put on them. They ranged from fully innocent to hard core hentai too. They were really big in the 90s and early 2000s.

Something like stardoll.com? Then this continued being popular

stardoll.png
    501 x 434 - 177K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • Okay here's a quick cell shading test done with my Lolo Hai figure and the Desert Warrior outfit. I've used the Visual Styles Manga shaders and the Geometry Shell shaders (with a geometry cell of course). Now when I made the Lolo Hai figure I had 2D in mind so the figure is designed to use hand painted textures for the face to give it a more 2D look.

I could get this render to look even more cell shaded but I'd have to make different texture maps to plug into the different colour tones. But I could probably get something approaching the cell shading in Kemono Friends using Daz Studio and the VS Manga shaders and a Geometry Shell for the outline.

You can find the Lolo Hai chibi figure and a whole slew of outfits and utilities for it on my ShareCG account if you want to experiment with making 2D styled renders with it.

https://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=ghastly

Yes, I have open interest in your Lolo character and cloth (thanks!!) but shareCG is a problem to download for me, last time almost all file I downloaded from your page and others were corrupted. Then I need some patience to download one by one and check the estatus of the files or try from Rendo instead.