Seams! SEEEAMS!! Halp

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,908

So yet again I'm hitting problem after problem trying to do textures. Specifically, Sean's.

Getting really nifty patterns out of Substance Painter, but getting slight but noticeable mismatch along seams.

And for the life of me I can't find anything to fix the problem; a lot of stuff comes close, but what I really need is something like Photoshop's heal brush on 3d models.

Other than using a different program that does a better job generating textures, any suggestions?

Comments

• MechavenMechaven Posts: 76

I'm guessing that is has to do with the projection method. So for example if you had a rock texture and projected it onto the uvs there would be seams noticeable. But if you projected it in tri-planar or box (not sure what substance painter offers) then there should be no seams, or much less noticeable at least. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,908

It's tri-planar, and unfortunately there certainly are. :/

I mean, I literally can't even just project an image on the object without a noticeable gap. Most of the advice is 'hide the seam!' but that's not really doable when I'm trying to make a texture for established content.

I'm not really familiar with SP, but I've seen a few you-tube tutorials. One of the complaints that I've seen is the inability to paint across materials, so if you had a sleeve and a shirt material you have to do them seperately, which I suspect could cause seams. If that is the case, maybe you could assign a single material and get better results.

That's ANOTHER annoying problem that I've come to terms with. ;)

No, this is an internal seam, like along someone's back where the torso is split apart. The program doesn't do a great job with it, which is a big issue I see comments going back several years about. With 'we're working on it.' Meh.

It feels like every tool I have is crippled by some stupid gaps.

In that case, what you could do is create a second uv set with different seams, paint it then transfer the new texture to the original uvs and fix the areas that are a problem with the heal brush in photoshop. I'm surprised that SP has issues like this. 

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I know nothing but can you use Photoshop's Spot Healing brush in Photoshop 3d mode?

Brilliant idea... that didn't work when I tried it. :)

And Photoshop has two problems:

first, no heal brush in 3d mode... and I think the texture sizes are limited to 4096 (which is usually fine but I'm working in 8192)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I'm watching this thread with interest. I'm going to be learning how to do textures and seams are one of the biggest obstacles that I can tell. I've seen some characters released in the Daz store with seam issues and nothing will turn me off faster from buying a character than visible seams.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,965

I thought it was the specialty and reason for paying $200 for the Substance Suite for it to guide you in the way it forces you to create textures and maps to avoid seams. I've wanted to buy it for a while myself but my laptop can't even handle it as you need an Intel HD Graphics 4400+ or better for your GPU. 

nonesuch00: Well, that's why I bought Substance Painter 2! And all I can figure is that the big sellers have things like Zbrush and so on.

I'm just hoping I can make something that clears the bar.

Of course, the other part of it is that even if folks don't end up liking the textures, the morphs are (IMO) interesting.

• AineAine Posts: 34

Your seams can be reworked several of old fashion ways. ( now I have not played with seams in Daz Studio so.... )

What you are going to want to do is average the 3d output map at the seam. I am assuming you did divide up the output maps so you could use them in Daz Studio. So you are going to want to bring both the high and low hit mid-point on your map's edge.  Kind of like using a pen knife to shave the seams on a plastic toy.

nonesuch00: Well, that's why I bought Substance Painter 2! And all I can figure is that the big sellers have things like Zbrush and so on.

I'm just hoping I can make something that clears the bar.

Of course, the other part of it is that even if folks don't end up liking the textures, the morphs are (IMO) interesting.

If I was faced with your dilemma and the model had enough polygons I would create more material zones / surfaces with the ideal in might that the boundaries between the different surfaces groups would be one that was as featureless and smooth as possible   

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited February 2018

Does anyone know how I might be able to fix this issue with Smay's Superhero Suit for G2M.  I have gotten lucky with modifying the textures in ways that hid the seam problems with this suit, but this time not so.  I made the textures in Photoshop for this, and have done lots of trial and error to try and get them to line up but it is pretty frustrating.

Mysterio Test.jpg
    2160 x 1728 - 506K
    Mysterio Test Closeup.jpg
    2160 x 1728 - 1M
    Post edited by Geminii23 on

Very good Mysterio. He was always the scariest of Spiderman villians I remember as a kid. I'm not good a seemless texturing so I'd put silver bands as a costume embellishment where the seems are that match his helmet.