Luxus discussion

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Rareth said:
    not bad for 22 minutes, I really need to figure out the settings for skin with luxus..

22 mins wow what rig have you got?

HP
    I7 processor
    12gb ram

• InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited December 1969

Still hoping for answers to a couple questions.
    Grouping lights: how can I do this in DS so Lux reads them as a group?

Grouped Mesh Lights: now that you’ve split up individual material zones into their own unique light, how can I combine them into groups?

IES Data: where can I plug it in?

Luxus Material Translations: Is it possible to see the final results of the auto-translation Luxus is doing?

IES are the goniometric light. The name reflects the name of the light in the LuxRender spec.

I thought about adding a merge all light groups but the benefits to having the light groups separate are just to useful I didn't. I have been told that LuxRender will go faster the less there are, but according to my mesearcments it not faster and the extra memory usage is mininal. I will probably add this since it is easy enough to do so.

As a workaround, you can relabel(in the Scene Pane) your lights to the same Label and the light groups will be the same. This will work on area light to, but only if the name of the materials are also the same..

I am confused by "Luxus Material Translations: Is it possible to see the final results of the auto-translation Luxus is doing?"

Thank you!

The work around might work in some circumstances but what I'm currently playing with renaming 36 different material zones, all with slightly different setting to the same exact name is a bit to scary to contemplate. In a perfect world I'd love to have both a group and individual sliders but that probably to much to ask for.

Materials. If I don't set up a Lux Material in DS before I render Luxus converts them into something Lux can use when I start the render. What I'd like to to know what these values are that Lux is now rendering. It would help me understand material in Lux better if I could take something I know (DS materials) and see what Lux is using in my render.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Szark said:
    Rareth said:
    not bad for 22 minutes, I really need to figure out the settings for skin with luxus..

HP
    I7 processor
    12gb ramThank you. Good to know as I was heading towards those specs and more.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Rareth said:
    Szark said:
    Rareth said:

HP
    I7 processor
    12gb ramThank you. Good to know as I was heading towards those specs and more.

and it has an Nvidia GTX 550 Ti

2 TB hard drive.

bought it direct from HP. didn't break the bank either.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    Rareth said:
    Szark said:
    Thanks Rareth very cool. So you wrote this out yourself? Or did you dig it out and then add to it. This is one aspect I shy away from to be honest.

I got it here http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/lrmdb2

downloaded the file and tweaked it as per this post by Herald of Fire

First a thank you: this is fun! And an extra thank you for adding the possibility to remove the Luxus material settings!
    I do read Readme's/Tutorials - and then I go aroung poking at things ... sometimes the poking does get wrong. LOL Second, a question: is there a possibility to add lxm and lbm LuxRender materials somehow?
    http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/lrmdb2
    http://www.luxrender.net/lrmdb/en/category/material/view/13
    A simple step by step tutorial on the howto would be nice.

1) Download the LXM file for the material you want to add.
    2) Open the file in a text editor like Notepad and look for the line beginning 'MakeNamedMaterial'
    3) At the end of the text add the line 'NamedMaterial "material_name"' where material_name is the material named listed under "MakeNamedMaterial"
    4) Copy the entire material including the line you added.
    5) Paste it into the Luxrender Extra Settings option in Daz Studio.
    6) Render

Do you only need the LXM file for the wood material to appear on the LuxBall? Or do you need to download and do something with the LBM file as well?

I just used the LXM file

I can't get the material to show up. Did you use the Surface > Options menu to switch to Luxus - LuxRender Material? I tried both with and without doing this, and it still didn't make any difference. When I tried to switch to LuxRender Material, I used "Only Extra Settiings" as Material Type.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Rareth said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    Rareth said:
    Szark said:
    Thanks Rareth very cool. So you wrote this out yourself? Or did you dig it out and then add to it. This is one aspect I shy away from to be honest.

First a thank you: this is fun! And an extra thank you for adding the possibility to remove the Luxus material settings!
    I do read Readme's/Tutorials - and then I go aroung poking at things ... sometimes the poking does get wrong. LOL Second, a question: is there a possibility to add lxm and lbm LuxRender materials somehow?

2) Open the file in a text editor like Notepad and look for the line beginning 'MakeNamedMaterial'
    3) At the end of the text add the line 'NamedMaterial "material_name"' where material_name is the material named listed under "MakeNamedMaterial"
    6) Render

Do you only need the LXM file for the wood material to appear on the LuxBall? Or do you need to download and do something with the LBM file as well?

I just used the LXM file

I can't get the material to show up. Did you use the Surface > Options menu to switch to Luxus - LuxRender Material? I tried both with and without doing this, and it still didn't make any difference. When I tried to switch to LuxRender Material, I used "Only Extra Settiings" as Material Type.

I gave the ball the Luxus LuxRender material Glossy and pasted the information in the Extra settings field.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Yeah I am heading towards the GTX600 range GC. Don't think I will be able to go beyond that. 2 TB HDD sounds good too. Also I am opting for a SSD boot drive/program drive.

edited December 1969

well now I'm attempting to get SSS skin with Luxus, using information posed several pages back..

I think she's got some kind of skin condition (granted this is only after 15 minutes, methink its going to need quite a bit more time)

d31.png
    1024 x 768 - 971K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    Rareth said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    Rareth said:
    Szark said:

6) Render

I just used the LXM file

I gave the ball the Luxus LuxRender material Glossy and pasted the information in the Extra settings field.

Hmmmm.....did you use any other options (like Volume)? Are you using Sampler & Metropolis? I get absolutely no hint of wood.

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

post up what you are pasting in.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Misfire said:
    Is there a way to create LuxRender light portals with Luxus? I was thinking that one could convert a plane primitive to do this, but I'm not sure how, or whether that's even an option at present.

I would need to add an option to do this. Probably will be a "Luxus - LuxRender Portal" that would turn any selected surfaces into portal.
    Keep in mind that portals are kind of tricky in Lux. When a portal stanza is encountered, it only applies the portal to the most recently defined light source. If that ligh tsource is one that isn't supported by portals (such as an area light), then it is completely ignored. If you're using sun and sky and have them as separate lights instead of using the combined sunsky, then you'd only have the portal attached to one of them.

The correct way to implement portals for LuxRender is to load the mesh for the portal as an object instance and then emit a PortalInstance stanza for every applicable light source (sun/sky/infinate) in the scene.

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

going back a few pages :)

I honestly bellieve that work needs to be done on how and where things are saved in Luxus. I assume if I save the file I will be able to resume at the point that I saved it - so if it is 3 hours in to the render it will restart at that point.

I want to be able to do that even if I have had a power failure - not find that I have lost everything. Surely there is some way to do that for the beginners? If not then there has to be some sort of instruction in the documentation to tell people that they could lose everything. and what to do.

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    well now I'm attempting to get SSS skin with Luxus, using information posed several pages back..

I think she's got some kind of skin condition (granted this is only after 15 minutes, methink its going to need quite a bit more time)

I've found using the lowdiscrepancy sampler works better with homogeneous volume scattering than the metropolis sampler does, at least unless you go to really high S/p.

Here's my latest test WIP, looking at what differences I need to make for different skin shades - the Olivia skin here on the left is quite orange, whereas the Children of Danu tribal texture is very pale.

media_skin_SSS_test_lowdisc_4.jpg
    600 x 600 - 81K
    edited March 2013

Bea said:

I honestly bellieve that work needs to be done on how and where things are saved in Luxus. I assume if I save the file I will be able to resume at the point that I saved it - so if it is 3 hours in to the render it will restart at that point.

I want to be able to do that even if I have had a power failure - not find that I have lost everything. Surely there is some way to do that for the beginners? If not then there has to be some sort of instruction in the documentation to tell people that they could lose everything. and what to do.

If you have 1.0.0.3 luxus then do a
    -> Render To: Image File
    -> Choose a Folder
    -> Choose a name
    -> Use GUI
    -> make sure Write Resume File is on.
    -> Render

LuxRender will write a flm every 60 seconds by default

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

post up what you are pasting in.

I do get this error in the log file:

[2013-03-18 16:55:25 Error: 24] Scene description must be inside world block; 'MakeNamedVolume' not allowed. Ignoring.
    [2013-03-18 16:55:25 Error: 24] Scene description must be inside world block; 'Texture' not allowed. Ignoring.
    [2013-03-18 16:55:25 Error: 24] Scene description must be inside world block; 'Texture' not allowed. Ignoring.
    [2013-03-18 16:55:25 Error: 24] Scene description must be inside world block; 'MakeNamedMaterial' not allowed. Ignoring.
    [2013-03-18 16:55:25 Error: 24] Scene description must be inside world block; 'NamedMaterial' not allowed. Ignoring.

This is what I am pasting:

# BEGIN DB Material 'wood (abura)' ID 68
    # Author pandrzej2, Sun, 26 Jun 11 14:17:15 -0700
    # Version 0.9.0.dev ; Rated 0 / 5.0 ; 0 Votes
    # interior :
    # exterior : world
    # previewsamples : 832

# DB Object ID 307
    MakeNamedVolume "world" "clear"
    # ParamSet ID 196
    "float fresnel" [1.0002770423889]
    "color absorption" [0 0 0]

# DB Object ID 308
    Texture "wood.noise2" "float" "blender_distortednoise"
    # ParamSet ID 197
    "float bright" [1]
    "float contrast" [4.5]
    "string type" ["blender_original"]
    "string noisebasis" ["cell_noise"]
    "float distamount" [1]
    "float noisesize" [0.5019873380661]
    "float nabla" [0.025000000372529]
    "string coordinates" ["global"]
    "vector translate" [0 0 0]
    "vector rotate" [0 0 0]
    "vector scale" [0.0099999997764826 0.10000000149012 0.10000000149012]

# DB Object ID 309
    Texture "wood.noise1" "float" "blender_clouds"
    # ParamSet ID 198
    "float bright" [1]
    "float contrast" [4.5]
    "string noisetype" ["hard_noise"]
    "string noisebasis" ["voronoi_f2"]
    "float noisesize" [0.019999999552965]
    "integer noisedepth" [2]
    "string coordinates" ["global"]
    "vector translate" [0 0 0]
    "vector rotate" [0 0 0]
    "vector scale" [0.0049999998882413 1 1]

# DB Object ID 310
    Texture "wood.mix" "float" "multimix"
    # ParamSet ID 199
    "texture tex1" ["wood.noise2"]
    "texture tex2" ["wood.noise1"]
    "float weights" [0.59999990463257 0.90000021457672]

# DB Object ID 311
    Texture "wood.mix_scaled_1" "float" "scale"
    # ParamSet ID 200
    "float tex1" [-0.0010000000474975]
    "texture tex2" ["wood.mix"]

# DB Object ID 312
    Texture "wood.color" "color" "mix"
    # ParamSet ID 201
    "texture amount" ["wood.mix"]
    "color tex1" [0.61516600847244 0.21975502371788 0.044444445520639]
    "color tex2" [0.26675423979759 0.093863278627396 0]

# DB Object ID 313
    MakeNamedMaterial "wood (abura)"
    # ParamSet ID 202
    "texture bumpmap" ["wood.mix_scaled_1"]
    "bool multibounce" ["false"]
    "texture Kd" ["wood.color"]
    "float index" [2.4571011066437]
    "color Ks" [1 1 1]
    "float uroughness" [0.079999998211861]
    "float vroughness" [0.079999998211861]
    "string type" ["glossy"]

# END DB Material 'wood (abura)' ID 68
    NamedMaterial "wood (abura)"

edited December 1969

Bea said:

-> Choose a Folder
    -> Choose a name
    -> Use GUI
    -> Render

and everything I need to continue that render say a day later after switiching the computer off and back on will be saved?

edited December 1969

And where are you pasting it?

edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Bea said:

-> Choose a Folder
    -> Choose a name
    -> Use GUI
    -> Render

and everything I need to continue that render say a day later after switiching the computer off and back on will be saved?

Yes, sir.

If you want to make sure you can resume it on another computer. Turn on the collect textures option, and increase the max dimension to over 5000

edited December 1969

The forum software or browser appears to be altering quote marks to ones that LuxRender does not like.

I wonder if putting it in code tags would fix that.

edited December 1969

Here:

ExtraSettings.jpg
    545 x 445 - 46K
    edited March 2013

Mari-Anne said:

Here:

Try here: There is an option to only add the Extra Settings

fssa.png
    904 x 503 - 56K
    Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Bea said:

-> Choose a Folder
    -> Choose a name
    -> Use GUI
    -> Render

Yes, sir.

If you want to make sure you can resume it on another computer. Turn on the collect textures option, and increase the max dimension to over 5000

thank you :) Now, that needs to be written down somewhere in the documentation so everyone knows about it. :) :)

edited December 1969

good idea.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:

Here:

Try here: There is an option to only add the Extra Settings

SphericLabs - You are my new hero!! Need I say more!? Thank you so much - I'm all OK now.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

We could add the metal material back, but it was depracated. I will look into it.

Have you looked at Eluxir
    -> http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18555/P30/

The metal2 material can do the job just fine. What we could really use is a simple method of applying colours though. For example, you can create a 'fresnelcolor' texture which accepts colour values 'Kr'. Either texture or pure colour values can be applied to this and then this used for the metal2 fresnel, which would create coloured metals without using defaults. While not strictly a 'feature' of the material, many exporters do this to make things easier for the end user. It's a thought, if nothing else.

I did download Eluxir and found it's quite useful for creating some preset materials. As you might have guessed, I love to tinker and I've been studying the inner workings of Lux's file formats since getting my hands on Reality 2.5, so most of the settings I was already familiar with.

I think that's probably the one thing I can honestly say I really do love about Luxus. Being able to see and edit the 'behind-the-scenes' values, as well as add in my own custom commands for each material gives me a great deal of control. Still, user friendliness should always be a forethought and not everyone will be quite as eager to tinker as I.

edited December 1969

We could add the metal material back, but it was depracated. I will look into it.

Have you looked at Eluxir
    -> http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18555/P30/

The metal2 material can do the job just fine. What we could really use is a simple method of applying colours though. For example, you can create a 'fresnelcolor' texture which accepts colour values 'Kr'. Either texture or pure colour values can be applied to this and then this used for the metal2 fresnel, which would create coloured metals without using defaults. While not strictly a 'feature' of the material, many exporters do this to make things easier for the end user. It's a thought, if nothing else.

I did download Eluxir and found it's quite useful for creating some preset materials. As you might have guessed, I love to tinker and I've been studying the inner workings of Lux's file formats since getting my hands on Reality 2.5, so most of the settings I was already familiar with.

I think that's probably the one thing I can honestly say I really do love about Luxus. Being able to see and edit the 'behind-the-scenes' values, as well as add in my own custom commands for each material gives me a great deal of control. Still, user friendliness should always be a forethought and not everyone will be quite as eager to tinker as I.

I will see what I can figure out

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Edit:

So in Luxus, Gamma settings need to be changed from 1.0 to 2.2?
    I see multiple gamma settings gamma in Luxus: Texture Gamma, Gamma and Tone Linear Gamma.
    Which of these settings should be changed.
    Thanks.

All of them.
    Thanks for the reply back.
    Now Testing with the 2.2 gamma settings.

edited December 1969

fusionla said:
    Edit:

So in Luxus, Gamma settings need to be changed from 1.0 to 2.2?
    I see multiple gamma settings gamma in Luxus: Texture Gamma, Gamma and Tone Linear Gamma.
    Which of these settings should be changed.
    Thanks.

All of them.

Thanks for the reply back.
    Now Testing with the 2.2 gamma settings.

I disagree on the Tone Linear Gamma. I would leave that at 1.0. I have confirmed that Blender does the same.

edited March 2013

ok after an hour and a half we get
    well no more skin rash, still a tad orangey

d31-b.png
    1024 x 768 - 848K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

dumorian said:
    I do have an idea that the PAs will start adding the Luxus materials in their products. For this reason, having Luxus might almost become required. I have only been into this world again for about a year (was a looooooonnnnng time ago I played with it). In that year, I have been amazed by how the quality has risen. I'm saying this based on the renders I see in these forums and by the new products (for the most part) being so much better than just one year ago. So, within another year, it might be that only a better render will look right in many cases. Yes, 3Delight does a nice job on a lot of things.... but 3Delight cannot do justice to things like leaded glass. Once products have those Luxus mats built in, it will be just too nice to have Luxus to easily produce great renders and the PAs will need to get the mats right.

I like that idea as well, but Reality has had ability to save and share material settings for a looong time and pretty much no PA has made use of that. So I wouldn't be too optimistic about that. Maybe Luxus lower intro price could help with that - I hope it does -but I wouldn't bet on it.

This discussion has been closed.