Luxus discussion

Comments

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

argel1200 said:
    Bobvan said:
    The update to Luxus, version 1.0.0.3 is available for download in your accounts.

The following fixes made it into this release.
    [...]
    * mitchell filter B and C are now written out

Whats does removing the mitchell thingy do?

I thought he meant they are now written out to the file?

Yes sir.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited March 2013

argel1200 said:
    Bobvan said:
    The update to Luxus, version 1.0.0.3 is available for download in your accounts.

[...]

Never mind moving on cao everybody it's been real...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited March 2013

Here is another example; i used stonemason's village courtyard and the sky/sun that comes with luxus. I did not change the materials, the sun was turned so that there is no direct light in view, so everything is lit diffusely. I rendered twice, once with texture/tonemapping-gamma set to 2.2, once with 1.0, no other changes are made. The results are below. The 2.2-image looks good, whereas the 1.0-gamma image looks like a 100 years old photography; i used the "autolinear" tonemapping that works like camera with automatic shutter speed; naturally the gamma=1 image would darker than the gamma=2.2 image, but the automatic adjustment makes it linearly brighter, which results in overly bright areas in the image (quite a few images in this thread look just like that), but the error is the texture gamma being 1, not the tonemapping, which makes it practically impossible to correct afterwards.

So the correct things to do would be to default to 2.2, but if the texture is an exr or hdr default to 1.0 and provide a manual override.

So in Luxus, Gamma setting sneed to be changed from 1.0 to 2.2?
    I see multiple gamma settings gamma in Luxus: Texture Gamma, Gamma and Tone Linear Gamma.
    Which of these settings should be changed.
    Thanks.

Post edited by FusionLA on
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    argel1200 said:
    Bobvan said:

[...]

Wait you're leaving? Over a new program that was just released? :ohh:

Or do you just mean this topic? :lol:

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

I still don't have an answer, is there a way to make a background image appear in Luxus renders? its a royal PITA to postwork the background in, and it isn't always an option.

You could add a plane to the scene and at an image to that.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

You can save the image with an alpha map...

Alternatively, Lux will show the background if you're using it for an environment light.

edited March 2013

Bobvan said:
    argel1200 said:
    Bobvan said:

[...]

Wait you're leaving? Over a new program that was just released? :ohh:

Or do you just mean this topic? :lol:

Actually I dont nor plan to use this program. I was just trying to help with Lux advice...

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Alternatively, Lux will show the background if you're using it for an environment light.

I posted how to with screen shots yesterday

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

fusionla said:
    Here is another example; i used stonemason's village courtyard and the sky/sun that comes with luxus. I did not change the materials, the sun was turned so that there is no direct light in view, so everything is lit diffusely. I rendered twice, once with texture/tonemapping-gamma set to 2.2, once with 1.0, no other changes are made. The results are below. The 2.2-image looks good, whereas the 1.0-gamma image looks like a 100 years old photography; i used the "autolinear" tonemapping that works like camera with automatic shutter speed; naturally the gamma=1 image would darker than the gamma=2.2 image, but the automatic adjustment makes it linearly brighter, which results in overly bright areas in the image (quite a few images in this thread look just like that), but the error is the texture gamma being 1, not the tonemapping, which makes it practically impossible to correct afterwards.

So the correct things to do would be to default to 2.2, but if the texture is an exr or hdr default to 1.0 and provide a manual override.

So in Luxus, Gamma setting sneed to be changed from 1.0 to 2.2?
    I see multiple gamma settings gamma in Luxus: Texture Gamma, Gamma and Tone Linear Gamma.
    Thanks.

Edit:

So in Luxus, Gamma settings need to be changed from 1.0 to 2.2?
    Thanks.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I still don't have an answer, is there a way to make a background image appear in Luxus renders? its a royal PITA to postwork the background in, and it isn't always an option.

Load it as an IBL. I don't know what Luxus calls IBL in its configuration parameters. LuxRender calls them infinite lights, so look for that in Luxus, or maybe environment map light.

Textures used for IBLs should ideally be HDR (so, for example, in .hdr or .exr file format) and need to be laid out in the format of one of the projection maps that Lux supports for infinite lights. See http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Environment_map for more info.

You can also assign an image as the texture for an area light and place it in the background. This will render more slowly, however. Also keep in mind that area lights only emit light in the direction of the normals, so you need to be careful how you place the mesh that you apply the texture to.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

How do I do either one of those?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

To render with alpha channel
    Insert :
    Film “fleximage” “bool premultiplyalpha” [“true”]
    In the extra settings field

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited March 2013

I'm very happy that the tiling issue is fixed. I have to say that, IMO it handles DS default materials way better than Reality ever did.

Here's a render I just did using default Luxus settings and an area light. Clothing is textured using tiled Figured Organza shader from Lacemaker. Necklace is default Gemologica shaders. I love the way it has perfectly interpreted the Lacemaker displacement and bump maps.

I like the paleness of her face, but some might think it looks washed out.

luxhoodie.jpg
    600 x 780 - 148K
    Post edited by Marieah on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited March 2013

The update seems to have helped stability too - this is first render that got over 2K without crashing on me (and I mean "blue screen of death" type crashing, not just CTD)... it did subsequently crash my PC when I started internet browsing with it running in the background, but had been fine so long as I didn't try to do anything else with my computer while rendering.

@SphericLabs - I'm sure you're already run off your feet at the moment, but just wanted to request you consider checking under the hood re transmapping (if it's not already on your "to do" list)... I confirm there are teething troubles with some transmaps (another user posted earlier in thread about similar with hair transmaps) - image below is 2.51K, so hair trans isn't being read properly rather than it just being lack of detail due to not cooking render long enough.

*edit* - Just in case it's any help at all, hair product in render is Smay's Stalker Girl Hair http://www.daz3d.com/stalker-girl-hair

LuxusMavkaDublinTest.jpg
    695 x 900 - 267K
    Post edited by Jabba on
  • Bluebird 3DBluebird 3D Posts: 995
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    I don’t know if this is of any help, but I did a (very) simple chart showing some basics of lighting in LuxRender with some examples.

Awesome illustration!!

~Bluebird

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

yeah, tiling seems to work, and yes, confirm i also have some issues with transmapping... was using Fisty's sparkle shaders, the transparent ones- only they did not turn out transparent in Luxus.

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

I am really loving this :D

Some DS shaders it is not handling ( like some fur shaders I built :( ) but most I have tried are working well and I love that it is doing an awesome job without any manual changes to material settings. I was forever tweaking materials with Reality and then not being thrilled with many of them lately. I haven't rendered too much with this yet but it has me excited with what I have tried.

The two renders below are of the same scene with the same lighting... just a different camera in DS and different light settings in Luxrender. The scene uses a couple of point lights converted to LUX points and a distant light converted to an infinite light and everything else is as it was in the original DS scene with no specific setup for LUX which is very cool.

RedGown.jpg
    1332 x 1999 - 420K
    EGNew02.jpg
    1332 x 1999 - 254K
  • MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited March 2013

I'm liking this, but how do I turn down the lights?
    I have a bunch of guys around a campfire (low light, single source) but they all come out brilliantly lit.
    I've tried adding other lights, I've converted all the lights to lux point lights, I've set the power down, I've let the render go overnight.

I'm not sure what to try next, any ideas?

edit example with area lights

the_Meeting_lux4.jpg
    850 x 1100 - 877K
    Post edited by MarcCCTx on
    edited December 1969

MarcCCTx said:
    I'm liking this, but how do I turn down the lights?
    I have a bunch of guys around a campfire (low light, single source) but they all come out brilliantly lit.
    I've tried adding other lights, I've converted all the lights to lux point lights, I've set the power down, I've let the render go overnight.

I'm not sure what to try next, any ideas?

edit example with area lights

Use the gui, turn the tonemapping to Linear, and adjust the light groups while it renders.

edited December 1969

I am looking into the transmap problem. There is one things that is an uphill battle and that is an alpha blended object is not a real life thing.. If something is see through, like glass, it refracts and things happen to the light as it travels through the inner part(volume) of the mesh.

That being said, I am sure the current autotranslation can be improved.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

nothing complicated, just some primatives with the Lux materials applied and 1 spot light

light levels tweaked in the gui. gain to 0.75 and Linear tone mapping. iso 50, shutter 1, F-stop 5.6

d7.png
    1024 x 768 - 182K
  • MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

yeah, tiling seems to work, and yes, confirm i also have some issues with transmapping... was using Fisty's sparkle shaders, the transparent ones- only they did not turn out transparent in Luxus.

Interesting. The fabric in my image is also transmapped, and it worked fine. I'll do some more testing...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:

Interesting. The fabric in my image is also transmapped, and it worked fine. I'll do some more testing...

I wonder if the property names are different in some of the shaders that are not working correctly?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

One of the problems with transmaps is that they usually should be a 'mix' material of a null and glossy or matte. I haven't really looked to see how Luxus is handling them. I think, as I haven't encountered any problem ones, yet, the ones that are a problem are coming out something else from the autotranslation...maybe throwing 'glossytranslucent' or something in there.

I'm also not sure I completely like the writing of an all inclusive lxs file as opposed to a set of lxs, lxm and lxo files. Including the geometry and materials in the main file makes for some huge files and makes them harder to edit/parse for a particular material/track problems.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Managed to get an IBL working via Luxus. Possibly only one of the ways to do so, but based on things I have read on these forums I tried the following:

Added a Null (renamed it, though that is not needed)
    In Posing/Shaping tab, with Null selected added Luxus - LuxRender Light,\and chose Infinite from the drop-down list
    In the Properties tab, under LuxRender Light, I selected LuxRender Infinite Light - Environment Map and then used the file browser to navigate to a folder of IBLs I have, (changing file type to Luxus Stub (*.hdr; *.exr) as I went) and picked a .hdr file almost at random.

Set the various render options for Luxus/LuxRender and hit the render button. 15 minutes later:

DragonBall.png
    800 x 640 - 640K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Use the gui, turn the tonemapping to Linear, and adjust the light groups while it renders.

One of the Lux developers commented on the Light groups in Lux and basically stated that they are there for two main reasons

1. So you can see how much you need to increase or decrease the gain on your lights in your exporter. The Increasing or decreasing their values in the Lux GUI does not make them cast more or less light.

2. Once you have done the step above and made your changes in the exporter, you can group ALL your lights together and it will use less memeory in LuxRender that way.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:

I wonder if the property names are different in some of the shaders that are not working correctly?

I couldn't get the wood shader to translate over, but I only took one stab at it before using a different material.

it is worth spending some time applying the lux materials in the surfaces tab with the "copy stuido parameters" checked and seeing what gets copied over with the different Luxus lux materials.

edited March 2013

mjc1016 said:
    One of the problems with transmaps is that they usually should be a 'mix' material of a null and glossy or matte. I haven't really looked to see how Luxus is handling them. I think, as I haven't encountered any problem ones, yet, the ones that are a problem are coming out something else from the autotranslation...maybe throwing 'glossytranslucent' or something in there.

I'm also not sure I completely like the writing of an all inclusive lxs file as opposed to a set of lxs, lxm and lxo files. Including the geometry and materials in the main file makes for some huge files and makes them harder to edit/parse for a particular material/track problems.

It is a mix of null and glossy or in the case of LuxRender Opacity whater type is manually setup. In the case of human surface shader, you can get (if specular2 if active) a gloss_translucent mixed with a null, but the volume is still attached.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • millighostmillighost Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Edit:

So in Luxus, Gamma settings need to be changed from 1.0 to 2.2?
    Thanks.

All of them.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited March 2013

Mattymanx said:

One of the Lux developers commented on the Light groups in Lux and basically stated that they are there for two main reasons

1. So you can see how much you need to increase or decrease the gain on your lights in your exporter. The Increasing or decreasing their values in the Lux GUI does not make them cast more or less light.

2. Once you have done the step above and made your changes in the exporter, you can group ALL your lights together and it will use less memeory in LuxRender that way.

Well, it seems to be working. I'll let it go while I'm at work. This is very cool, I don't understand how it can make such drastic changes on the fly, but it does!

Does it matter how far along the render is, if I want to tweak the light groups some more?

Post edited by MarcCCTx on
This discussion has been closed.