Wanting Feedback!

mrbpjohnsonmrbpjohnson Posts: 0
edited March 2013 in Art Studio

Greetings all, I am still kinda new at all of this 3d stuff but want to get some feedback on my creation. I've been working on this for about three months so I am not sure how I am doing.. Is Three months too much time for something like this?

Any comments, suggestions, or feedback of any kind is most welcome and appreciated.

Notes about the model:

Modeled in Hexagon
Materials are Mental Ray
Rendered in Mental Ray/3ds Max

Notes about my system:
HP Probook Laptop
Windows 7Pro 64
4 gb RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics Card

Again thanks for looking and especially thanks for any feedback.

Edit: Notes on my system:
Processor is AMD PhenomII P650 Dual Core 2.60 Ghz

ChopperMaxd.jpg
640 x 480 - 105K
Post edited by mrbpjohnson on

Comments

• edited December 1969

a few different abgles would help to see the details
    but 2 main things i see right off
    1 there are front rotors but no calipers
    2 the forks are rigid and are way under size as far as diamiter of tubes

for some of what i see here its in line with the norm and would be welcomed
    and as for time if you dont know bikes that well and modeling id say you rode the curve better than many
    personaly i go for real look in my meshes
    in the last 3 months ive made a few parts for a bike
    understand ive been riding for over 20 years and building for almost 15 and modeling them for about 5 years

pan12.jpg
    1000 x 592 - 33K
  • mrbpjohnsonmrbpjohnson Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Sorry I have been indisposed the last few days. Thank you for responding and for the advice. I have some other angles rendered up for you to view but I need to warn that I know the exhaust pipes are missing, I havent figured out how to get the tubes to bend properly yet. But anyway thank you again and please feel free to let me know about anything else you see going on.

EDIT: Credit to Openfootage.net for the bacground image

ChopperMaxd3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 133K
    ChopperMaxd2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 139K
    ChopperMaxd1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 127K
    Post edited by mrbpjohnson on
  • edited December 1969

it looks good for low poly models and most people
    post a render in the car and bike lovers thread and let them see what it looks like most of them will be happy with it

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

A clay or wireframe render would be nice, too...

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

other than that it looks increadibly cool... what's going on with the rims? They look invisible...

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

In general I'd say it looks good, but I've never seen square cylinders irl... are they modeled of of an actual bike?

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    other than that it looks increadibly cool... what's going on with the rims? They look invisible...
    It's probably the reflection of the ground plane. Looks good so far.
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

I'm no bike expert, but I like it :-) I think it has been well worth your time, and no, 3 months is not too long to work on something. It's better than releasing it when it's not right. One thing, you don't seem to have an interior surface on the tires. Makes them look invisible from the inside and I don't think it is a reflection of the ground plane. If it is a reflection, then you should consider changing the material settings.

• edited December 1969

its a bad shader setup
    there is nothing in the actual render for it to reflect
    the chrome is simply reflecting the grey ground plane and not the background
    afterall it is designed as a feedback piece to get ideas as to would people want it

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited March 2013

mrbpjohnson, thought I'd mention something.... If you are new, and were hoping to get 'wow, that's great' then you might be disappointed that people didn't respond right away with that. If that's the case then yes, it is great, and I'm not just saying that. Basically, what's great is very definitely tied to how long one has been doing something, what other background they have etc.. and others don't really have an adequate way of judging that from the outside, so don't get discouraged if others don't immediately realize what you've accomplished (even when you try telling them) just pat yourself on the back and know for yourself you did well. When you put things in a public forum what one actually gets is hints on what to do next time, which can be discouraging if one is really looking for 'congratulations.' *If* that's the case, don't get discouraged. G'luck and keep at it if you enjoy it because it looks like you have a very good starting point :)

Over time, people will get literally 10x faster, then 10x faster then that... so a good modeler who's been at it for a while will knock off in a matter of days what a beginner could only hope for (and still not achieve) in months.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Over time, people will get literally 10x faster, then 10x faster then that... so a good modeler who's been at it for a while will knock off in a matter of days what a beginner could only hope for (and still not achieve) in months.

Hehe... and the "WOW" stuff comes when you can post your stuff at CGTalk and not get roundly smacked for using Poser and/or DS... http://www.cgtalk.com