Daz Studio HSS, US and US2 Tutorial planned but want feedback first

1234568»

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I just made new HDRI maps for the SUN and made some test in UE2 and Occlusion with directional shadows, no light in the scene or shadows other than the from HDRI radiance maps .. shadow was generated
    since hdri maps are 2.20 you need to render with gamma correction on 2.20 for the max effect
    the test was to get the shadows from the Sun in the maps and it worked

can be controlled too with directions so not bad, one map for a lot of fun
    that was a sunny day with blue sky -sky map only without ground
    one sphere and cube was white the other sphere gray

under-test1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 228K
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

Those shadows were generated by UE2? I have never seen directional shadows actually produce much of any noticeable effect. I'd love to get that shadowing.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Those shadows were generated by UE2? I have never seen directional shadows actually produce much of any noticeable effect. I'd love to get that shadowing.

That's not a fault of UE2, but rather the 'hdri'/environment maps that are standard with it. Good maps to use for light sources will produce excellent shadows, as seen by Mec4D's example.

Mec4D, are you going to make those maps available?

edited December 1969

Yes only used my maps without anything else beside UE2 without sphere
    actually making something from that , 24h set so you can rotate the sun in directions and time of the day and night
    a true HDR maps will create shadows ..
    I have still little work on the fall off of the shadows as it not cast it corectly when the sun is in sunrise or sunset position , any other position works fine ..'also tried out the studio light mode for the indoor and was working excellent

funny thing id that the indirect light does not bounce any colors and I am getting sort of
    also it does not make the SSS surfaces glowing what is a very good thing

bellow test with gammas correction on and off and M6 base shaders
    however you can make settings that does not need any gamma correction to have it on
    also found out that the UE2 intensity have nothing to do with exposure , it is more like render effect , the gamma in the rendering settings is actually the exposure of the HDRI map , the UE2 scale option is working as it should

I could make a spot light , sunlight and other great effect with
    I could never do that before with my hdr maps in DS so I guess something changed for good

I want to make also my own latitude DOME base for all your maps where you don't need shadow catcher where the shadows will cast direct inside environment

under-test1-ubder-gamma2.jpg
    897 x 1058 - 233K
    edited December 1969

P.S forgot to add that you can also change the shadow color to match it better with backdrop maps and color balance and any backdrop you own of a sunny day or cloudy day can be used with .. if the day is cloudy you switch to soft shadows if sunny to directional shadows ..simple and cool
    we will have a lot of fun with and render so much faster than ever before

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    P.S forgot to add that you can also change the shadow color to match it better with backdrop maps and color balance and any backdrop you own of a sunny day or cloudy day can be used with .. if the day is cloudy you switch to soft shadows if sunny to directional shadows ..simple and cool
    we will have a lot of fun with and render so much faster than ever before

I think we need a chorus of "you are my sunshine ..." :)
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited March 2014

my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey

Sweet this thread turned into a great learning experience one that has changed my way of doing things. I have been at the PC much over the last few days..RL keeping me busy, plus I am 3 days into stopping smoking and smoked a lot when at the PC. But I am feeling good, had my CO test today, breathing great and much happier in myself. Seems like this year is starting off nicely...now for the other shoe to drop. LOL

Cath I will give your HDRI posts a good read later, I skimmed and it looks interesting.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

That is good to hear! I am over 2 years now done with smoking
    and regarding HDRI I spent yesterday many later hours and fixed my all previously issues with the bias and stuff so it working 100%
    including indirect light with directional shadows , and a lot of interesting stuff come out , regarding why UE2 rendered slow before etc..
    little things having a big impact on the result , I need to test my maps in other software to see what got improvet

Szark said:
    my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies and grey

Sweet this thread turned into a great learning experience one that has changed my way of doing things. I have been at the PC much over the last few days..RL keeping me busy, plus I am 3 days into stopping smoking and smoked a lot when at the PC. But I am feeling good, had my CO test today, breathing great and much happier in myself. Seems like this year is starting off nicely...now for the other shoe to drop. LOL

Cath I will give your HDRI posts a good read later, I skimmed and it looks interesting.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

Definetly interested in seeing that product. So many of the HDRI maps put out for Uber use have such mixed results.

Catch you do know about the rotation issues with UE2, right? I think you must with the results you are getting.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 1969

Hi Szark,

What's the progress on the tutorials? Did you ever got the chance to ask omnifreaker your questions?

Btw, I think you should 'break' the tutorial between the shader's features and usage. By usage, what I mean is setting up materials. I think you kinda have to since most of the settings/features are very arbitrary :)

Also, found these a while back:
    http://seblagarde.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/hello-world/
    http://seblagarde.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/feeding-a-physical-based-lighting-mode/
    http://seblagarde.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/dontnod-physically-based-rendering-chart-for-unreal-engine-4/

Watchout though. The first one is very technical and filled with math. The second is more practical for artists, since it has a nice albedo list for diffuse and specular. Based on those data and the Disney's principled BRDF paper, you should aim for a max value of 0.4 for most materials. Keep in mind thought that he's talking in linear space and not sRGB space.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Progress is slow as I have two others to do first which are nearly finished. Once those are done I will be delving into this full time. When that happens I will be shooting off some Q's to Omni.

Yes I was going to include Metal, Glass, Skin and Fabric to give an idea of what it can do.

Thanks for the links. I won't be looking at them until I resume this tutorial.