Dual Core 32 Bit systems

SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
edited March 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

I just wanted to share something for folks on Dual Core 32 Bit systems.

Before you start to wade in say this and that I have been using Daz Studio for 4 years almost and knew my old machine's limitations very well and I am well aware on how to save memory but please share tips for other users if you want.

Last year I could not get DS4.5, the later releases, to render without crashing. Then my desktop said no and died, which was a 2.6 Mhz Dual Core, 4 GB Ram, Vista 32 Bit. Up until that point I hadn’t had any issue with memory. I could render in DS3A with a large scene, see the first image in this post, then all of a sudden with DS4.5, crash and a little burn. I could not figure out why this was so, then one of the Ram modules in my old machine was found to be faulty, so I replaced it, same issue. I then found out the Ram slot on the motherboard was to blame. So I ran the machine on just one 2GB Ram module and all was fine until New Years Eve when the motherboard went pop properly.

With this borrowed machine being lower spec than my own I was dubious about running DS4.5 but I gave it a go. Well I can’t put a lot in the scene but I can render at some fairly high render settings without a crash. In fact I am extremely surprised with how fast the render is were considering my light set up, 2 area lights and 3 Uber spots all on Raytraced shadows. Uber Environment set to Ambient Only, Uber Surface 2 surfaces, displacement, reflection (raytraced), refraction, max ray trace depth at 3, Pixel Samples X and Y at 16 (dof), Shadow Samples at 24 and shading rate at 0.10. Ok not a big render sixe only 848 x 1200 but still much better than my old machine could do using DS4.5.

So my point is if you have a Dual Core 32 bit machine and you are experiencing crashes then A; you might be loading to much in to the scene, B; have a lot of very large textures in the scene, C: you have memory issues, hardware faults that may not present themselves until the memory has to deal with some heavy like rendering etc.

Post edited by Szark on

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

At this time Intel makes everything from the Celeron and Atom Dual Core to the Xeon and i3 Dual core, all are dual core systems but the capabilities of these CPU's are very diverse, that's just Intels' lineup. IBM, AMD make commercial Core 2 CPU's as well. So while some of these Dual Core CPU's perform amazingly in 3D apps others can be bricks.

All champagne is sparkling wine, but not all sparkling wine is champagne.