Zbrush body morph causing teeth to decay

BomberBomber Posts: 120

So I bought a custom zbrush body morph from a content creator and there is a strange issue where dialing the morph up causes Genesis 3's teeth to become thinner and thinner. The creator and their customers said they don't have the issue, so it must be on my side.

Any idea what's wrong? Why would a body morph cause the teeth to change shape? I've tried applying it to a fresh G3F and it still gets messed up.

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Likely, you didn't zero out two important morphs on G3.  MouthRealismHD and Navel.  Turn those off when you export at base resolution.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Also, since even we PAs would forget to turn them off, save a copy of your G3 with those two morphs zeroed and then you just need to export at Base.

• BomberBomber Posts: 120

I've turned navel and mouth realism HD off but still the issue persists. Here's a (kinda creepy) image of what's going on: http://i.imgur.com/Qqtl6Bl.png

• Assuming this morph you bought was legally distributed, the issue is backed into the morph.

I'm borrowing someone else's post to save time.

1. Go to your morph in the Parameters tab and click on the heart in the top right of the morph to mark it as a "favorite".
    2. Activate the Geometry Editor:
      Geometry Editor
    3. Right click on your Genesis 3 in the Viewport and select Selection Type - Vertex Selection.
    4. Right click again on G3 and select Geometry Selection > Select By > Surfaces >Mouth.
    5. Right click again on G3 and select Geometry Selection > Select By > Surfaces > Teeth.
    6. Right click a 3rd time on G3 and select Morph Editing - Clear Selected Deltas from Favorites.
    7. Test thoroughly. You have completely removed all deltas from the mouth, so it might not fit inside the head. Unfortuately, this all you can do without a 3rd party 3D modeling program, or a willingess to get funky with deformers. It looks like you new head is close enough to G3's that this will work, but if not, you're probably out of luck. Only proceed to the next steps if it tests out okay.
    8. Return to the Parameters pane, and click the gear icon of the morph. Copy the Name (NOT the Label).  Write down the Path of property group. Click Cancel.
    9. Open you file system and go to your My Library\data\Daz 3D\Genesis 3\Female\Morphs folder. Search for the name you just copied.
    10. Open the folder it is in. That folder will be in the format My Library\data\Daz 3D\Genesis 3\Female\Morphs\[Vendor Name]\[Product Name] Write down the vendor and product names.
    11. Return to Studio, File >Save as > Support Asset(s) >Morph Asset(s). Grab the Path of the property group you got in step 8. Drill down expanding the the save list along that path until you find the morph. Check it. Put the vendor name you copied in step 10 in the vendor name line. Put the product name you copied in step 10 in the product name line. It is very, very important that you do exactly those things. If you can't or aren't sure, stop, do nothing, ask for help.
    12. If you are sure you did the thing, click accept.
    13. Close studio. Reopen studio, load G3 and test to be sure all the things were saved right.
    14. Have a nice day.

• The person whose post I borrowed, and ended up heavily modifying, is Ki-Jen. credit where due.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

REDZ TO THE RESCUE!!! :)

edited July 2017

Assuming this morph you bought was legally distributed, the issue is backed into the morph.

I'm borrowing someone else's post to save time.

1. Go to your morph in the Parameters tab and click on the heart in the top right of the morph to mark it as a "favorite".
    2. Activate the Geometry Editor:
      Geometry Editor
    3. Right click on your Genesis 3 in the Viewport and select Selection Type - Vertex Selection.
    4. Right click again on G3 and select Geometry Selection > Select By > Surfaces >Mouth.
    5. Right click again on G3 and select Geometry Selection > Select By > Surfaces > Teeth.
    6. Right click a 3rd time on G3 and select Morph Editing - Clear Selected Deltas from Favorites.
    7. Test thoroughly. You have completely removed all deltas from the mouth, so it might not fit inside the head. Unfortuately, this all you can do without a 3rd party 3D modeling program, or a willingess to get funky with deformers. It looks like you new head is close enough to G3's that this will work, but if not, you're probably out of luck. Only proceed to the next steps if it tests out okay.
    8. Return to the Parameters pane, and click the gear icon of the morph. Copy the Name (NOT the Label).  Write down the Path of property group. Click Cancel.
    9. Open you file system and go to your My Library\data\Daz 3D\Genesis 3\Female\Morphs folder. Search for the name you just copied.
    10. Open the folder it is in. That folder will be in the format My Library\data\Daz 3D\Genesis 3\Female\Morphs\[Vendor Name]\[Product Name] Write down the vendor and product names.
    11. Return to Studio, File >Save as > Support Asset(s) >Morph Asset(s). Grab the Path of the property group you got in step 8. Drill down expanding the the save list along that path until you find the morph. Check it. Put the vendor name you copied in step 10 in the vendor name line. Put the product name you copied in step 10 in the product name line. It is very, very important that you do exactly those things. If you can't or aren't sure, stop, do nothing, ask for help.
    12. If you are sure you did the thing, click accept.
    13. Close studio. Reopen studio, load G3 and test to be sure all the things were saved right.
    14. Have a nice day.

Yup it's legally distributed. My first thought was that it reminded me of anti-piracy stuff you'd find in games where small details get screwed up to punish pirates. However this was bought off of their DeviantArt store via the point system they have there, and I have spoke to the creator personally about the issue and he has my payment on file, so rest assure it defintiely unrelated to anti-piracy stuff.

Anyways those directions REALLY helped! Thanks! It fixed the teeth issue. Although I've noticed that it's not just the teeth. The entire head, eyes, ear size, and everything is subtly morphed anytime I use this custom morph, which is only supposed to modify hand shape. I think I'll leave that all be and just accept that the mouth is fixed for now. So thank you!

Post edited by Bomber on
  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited July 2017

I didn't mean piracy. I was thinking if someon sent you an object file to laod as a morph, that would violate the EULA ofthe Daz figure. No sharing the geometry, you know.

You could extend what I suggested to remove the deltas from the head (you have use Face Groups rather than surfaces to select the head, and you would want to add the leye and rEye groups as well) but if it's no big deal, I guess it's no worry.

As a guess, though, if the changes are very small, I'd bet they had Mesh resolution turned on when they made the morph. I made that mistake once. Once.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581

As a guess, though, if the changes are very small, I'd bet they had Mesh resolution turned on when they made the morph. I made that mistake once. Once.

More likely someone turned on subdivision in their modelling program and back to zero subdivisions, which would mess up lower polygon areas like the teeth and nails.

Any idea why the creator doesn't see these issues but I do? He can't fix it because he sees nothing wrong with the morph on his end.

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited July 2017

More likely someone turned on subdivision in their modelling program and back to zero subdivisions, which would mess up lower polygon areas like the teeth and nails.

Possibly, but subD usually adds verts nondestructively. If you can turn it on and off, it won't alter vertex order or anything. So removing subd would leave any unmodified verts right where they started.

And applying subd and then unsubdividing would probably completely change the mesh. Even if it didn't vertex order would be gone, so it wouldn't load correctly at all.

It could happen, but the series of events to allow it to happen is unlikely.

Bomber said:

Any idea why the creator doesn't see these issues but I do? He can't fix it because he sees nothing wrong with the morph on his end.

Nope. He/she/it should be seeing the same issues you are. The data are in the morph file, after all.  A morph is just a text file that has vertex IDs (which is why vertex order is important) and vectors describing where they move to. There's no magic involved, and it would take magic for file corruption or something to exactly replicate an issue known to be caused by not correctly zeroing the figure base before export.

My guess is they aren't looking, they are lying, or they fixed the issue and UL'd the wrong file.

Post edited by Singular Blues on

Possibly, but subD usually adds verts nondestructively. If you can turn it on and off, it won't alter vertex order or anything. So removing subd would leave any unmodified verts right where they started.

And applying subd and then unsubdividing would probably completely change the mesh. Even if it didn't vertex order would be gone, so it wouldn't load correctly at all.

It could happen, but the series of events to allow it to happen is unlikely.

Bomber said:

Nope. He/she/it should be seeing the same issues you are. The data are in the morph file, after all.  A morph is just a text file that has vertex IDs (which is why vertex order is important) and vectors describing where they move to. There's no magic involved, and it would take magic for file corruption or something to exactly replicate an issue known to be caused by not correctly zeroing the figure base before export.

My guess is they aren't looking, they are lying, or they fixed the issue and UL'd the wrong file.

Ah I bet it's the last one and they uplooded the incorrect file. I guess I'll ask them again about that. I'm sure there's no ill will involved.

• Probably not. It is a product for sale, after all. Sometimes, though, people just can't believe they made a mistake.