4.9 is not keeping render settings in a saved scene

Hi,

I'm finding that 4.9 is not keeping render outputs in a saved scene. It seems to keep whatever is used in the last scene.

This becomes a problem because I am using Dimension3D's batch renderer so it is rendering and saving over each new render.

For instance the attached image "Render Target" should have been direct to file. The image name should have been a different name.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheerio

lululee

RenderSettings.jpg
689 x 523 - 73K

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

I've noticed this as well. Also when you press the default button in render settings t does not reset dimensions like it did in the previous verisons.

• Which version of 4.9? I recall someone having a similar issue but I can't recall if it was changed in a later version.

• lululee1lululee1 Posts: 322

My version is 4.9.4.117

Cheerio

lululee

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743

I've noticed this as well. Also when you press the default button in render settings t does not reset dimensions like it did in the previous verisons.

Not a bad thing IMO if you prefer a certain general setting - default (whatever it is) is not necessarily what everyone wants.

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

I noticed too when upgrading to the latest version. Even after pressing default, the auto headlamp sticks to 'Never'. It always used to jump to 'when no scene lights'. I actually kinda like the change since I prefer Never.

Has anyone found if there is a fix to not holding the render settings?

Cheerio

lululee

Is it all settings or only some that aren't kept? Those I've checked like Dome Rotation and Dimensions are kept when I reopen the scenes.

Hi Taoz,

In The attached image "Render Target" should have been direct to file. The image name should have been a different name.

So it is losing the Render Target and the image name which means I can't do any batch renders.

Cheerio

lululee

lululee1 said:

Hi,

I'm finding that 4.9 is not keeping render outputs in a saved scene. It seems to keep whatever is used in the last scene.

This becomes a problem because I am using Dimension3D's batch renderer so it is rendering and saving over each new render.

For instance the attached image "Render Target" should have been direct to file. The image name should have been a different name.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheerio

lululee

OK, I see what you mean. Could be fixed with a small script that watches the folder and renames the files as soon as DS has saved them. If you're using Windows I can write one.

Hi Taoz,

I am using Windows. I would be soooo appreciative for the script.

Because it won't hold the correct file names and just keeps rendering over the last I can't use Dimension3D's batch renderer for all of the promos..

The script would be a much valued gift .

Thank you so much.

Looking forward to the script.

Cheerio

lululee

edited July 2017

@lululee1

OK, here's the first version, try to give it a test run to see if it works on your system. Just put it in a folder (avoid any of the Program Files folders) and run it. You may have to run it as Administrator. 

First select the "watched" folder where the DS renders are saved. Be sure it doesn't contain any other files, or they will be renamed too. If you want to create a backup of the renders on another drive or whatever as soon as they're saved and renamed, then select a backup folder.

Then check the Test checkbox (before clicking Start) and click Start. Copy some files into the watched folder and check that they're being renamed. If you have selected backup, check that files have been backed up.

By default it checks every minute, if your renders take a long time you can set it higher so the risk that it tries to rename while DS is saving the file is smaller. It does check if the file is locked or in use before trying to rename it but these checks are not 100% reliable. I've tried to make it not crash if it happens but it's not fully tested yet.

Let me know how it works (or not).

http://taosoft.dk/software/freeware/brf-ds/BatchRenderFixDS-0.500.zip

Virus report:
    https://virustotal.com/en/file/31666d9c346f66f8b58eb9652af701ab1ec434cee663ea57b55b61f727ebed72/analysis/1499821875/

Post edited by Taoz on

Hi Taoz,

Thank you soooo much.

I'm away from the computer until tomorrow afternoon.

Will test it tomorrow afternoon.

Cheerio

lululee

Hi Taoz,

I cannot thank you enough for this life saver that works purrrfectly!

What a gift. You've made me very happy. I can now use my batch renderer with no problems.

Have a wonderful evening.

Cheerio

lululee

lululee1 said:

Hi Taoz,

What a gift. You've made me very happy. I can now use my batch renderer with no problems.

Cheerio

lululee

You're welcome, glad it works for you! I was just wondering, if there are other render settings that also are not saved, will that not cause problems?

Taoz said:
    lululee1 said:

Hi Taoz,

Cheerio

lululee

You're welcome, glad it works for you! I was just wondering, if there are other render settings that also are not saved, will that not cause problems?

So far it doesn't seem to.

It is holding the direct to file, and the image size.

I did render it in in Dimension3D's batch renderer and so far so good.

Tonight I will do more higher end renders and will let you know in the morning.

Again, Thanks so much for your help.

Cheerio

lululee

lululee1 said:
    Taoz said:
    lululee1 said:

Hi Taoz,

Cheerio

lululee

So far it doesn't seem to.

It is holding the direct to file, and the image size.

I did render it in in Dimension3D's batch renderer and so far so good.

Tonight I will do more higher end renders and will let you know in the morning.

Again, Thanks so much for your help.

Cheerio

lululee

OK. I've made an update though, I'll suggest using that instead. In the first version a messagebox may pop if something goes wrong, this will stop the program until you close it. I've replaced it with a log file that will log the errors instead, so the program will keep running. 

Also note that if you use the backup option files that are backed up will be overwritten if you start a new batch which generates the same file names.

http://taosoft.dk/software/freeware/brf-ds/BatchRenderFixDS-0.501.zip

Hi Taoz,

Thanks so much for the update. I really appreciate it.

I woke up this morning to find 9 beautiful promo images rendered with you first build.

Stunning.

What a great gift.

Will use the new build next.

Cheerio

lululee

lululee1 said:

Hi Taoz,

Thanks so much for the update. I really appreciate it.

I woke up this morning to find 9 beautiful promo images rendered with you first build.

You're welcome! Glad to hear everything went fine. Let me know if you should run into any problems...

• Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 197

This is handy as hell Taoz, thanks so much for writing it.

However, the original question about not saving settings is what landed me here from Google.  I'm creating a product and one of the features is that it needs a render filename to be saved as the EXACT same thing every time.  So I created a render settings preset and made sure that when I saved it I had the Image Path and Image Name boxes checked.  However, it is not loading this Image Name or Image Path when I load the preset.

I hope that all makes sense.

Anyone have any ideas?