ot: anyone haz a recipe to share for homemade fudge?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited December 1969 in The Commons

anyone haz a recipe to share for homemade fudge? :-P

maybe even with a layer of peanut butter?

Comments

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

anyone haz a recipe to share for homemade fudge? :-P

maybe even with a layer of peanut butter?

I'll have to see if I can find my mother's old cook books; she used to make awesome fudge.

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

The recipes by Alton Brown listed above are quite good. :)

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Best. Fudge. Ever.

My mom made this since I was a little kid, now I make it myself. The recipe has been around since the fifty's. In my entire life I've never tasted a better fudge, and I've tasted a lot!.

Mamie Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge.

4 1/2 cups sugar
    Pinch of salt
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk

Boil six minutes.

Put in large bowl:

12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
    12 ounces German sweet chocolate
    1 pint marshmallow cream
    2 cups chopped walnuts, (you can make ti without the nuts if you want)

Pour boiling syrup over ingredients in bowl: beat until chocolate is all melted and pour in pan.

Let stand a few hours before cutting.

Coldrake

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

3 cups sugar
    3/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 small can (5 oz.) evaporated milk (about 2/3 cup) (Do not use sweetened condensed milk.)
    12 oz. BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, chopped
    1 jar (7 oz.) JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
    1 cup chopped PLANTERS Walnuts
    1 tsp. vanilla

You can prepare the fudge in the microwave.
    Melt butter in 4-qt. microwaveable bowl. (Microwave on HIGH 1 min. or until melted...it'll foam so watch it)
    Add sugar and milk; mix well.
    Microwave 3 min. or until mixture begins to boil, stir. (you'll do this a few times, just watch to make sure it doesn't boil over)
    Microwave 2 min. or until mixture begins to boil, stir.
    Microwave 3 min. or until mixture begins to boil, stir.
    Microwave 2 min. or until mixture begins to boil, stir.
    Add chocolate and marshmallow creme. (It may really boil at this point, so be carefull)
    Pour into buttered pan to cool.

From Fantasy Fudge

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

aww, i don't have all the ingredients on hand.

• JessaiiJessaii Posts: 845
    edited December 1969

I have a See's Candy recipe from the 30s and it is AMAZING. The recipe was obtained by my great-grandmother. Story goes a disgruntled cook of Mary See's was giving or selling this recipe away and she obtained a copy. I make this every year at Christmas time. Makes 5lbs of fudge.

In a large mixing bowl:

1 small jar marshmallow cream
    2 teaspoons vanilla

In large sauce pan melt:

1/2 lb butter
    3 packages chocolate chips

Add to marshmallow mixture.

In another large sauce pan:

4 1/2 cups sugar
    1 12oz can evaporated milk

Bring sugar and milk to a rolling boil and cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently. DO NOT scrape the sides of the pan.
    this is very important it will make your fudge gritty

Add Milk mixture to the bowl.
    Stir in 2 cups chopped nuts if you like (pecans are preferred for best flavor and texture)

Pour into a pans and cool for several hours before slicing
    Usually will fill an 11x9 and 8x8

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

A candy thread! I'm so excited!

My standard family fudge recipe is:

1 stick butter or margarine (margarine is easier, butter will tend to curdle unless heated at just the right speed)
    4 cups sugar
    1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
    2 tbsp. peanut butter
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 12 oz. bag chocolate chips (or any flavor, just don't use candy coating, its flavor is dreadful).
    1 cup marshmallows
    (Raisins and nuts if desired, not more than a cup of either.)
    Greased 8x8 pan

Melt the butter in a heavy pot. Add the milk and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring to soft ball stage or 236 degrees Fahrenheit on the candy thermometer. I like to use a thermometer because I have never, not once, seen "soft ball stage" look the same twice in a row. I've found in our climate I have to turn the heat down a little when it starts boiling, from medium to a couple of notches below, to prevent it boiling over, and then let it cook down until it reaches the proper temperature.

Remove from the heat and add the peanut butter, marshmallows, vanilla, and chocolate chips. Also, add the raisins and nuts here if using those (ew). Stir vigorously until it is smooth and starting to loose its gloss - it won't take long with both the chips and marshmallows as setting agents. Pour into the pan and allow to set.

For variety, here's a good caramel fudge recipe I tried last week and really liked the results.

I added a cup of marshmallows before the cooling stage for flavor and texture when I made it (and omitted nuts because I hate nuts in my candy). The caramelizing stage adds a few minutes, and the cooling/beating process is mandatory to ensure setting, but it's well worth the delicious results. I would double this recipe for a family gathering or celebration; it's not a very large amount of fudge.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,888
    edited December 1969

I bought some Carrara shaders for fudge and chocolate
    on the old forum was a whole lengthy carrara thread on boiled sweets, jubes toffees etc that I only wish we could view with images!!!
    I am sure Mariah and friends could cook you up some shader mixer recipes for studio I am sure!
    much less fattening and keeps the dentist poor!