What am I doing wrong with these dang lights?!

I'm guessing that regular lights you create will not work with Iray, unless you make sure photmetrics is on and Lumens is turned way up.  That is the only way I can get them too work, which means that he Age of Armor lights I bought will not work in Iray because they don't have that.  Am I missing something?  I really don't want to have waisted the money on something that can't work in Studio anymore :(.

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

The Age of Armour lights are for 3delight.  They will not work in Iray.

You can return them by submitting a ticket to Support.  It's the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439

3DL and Iray lights are very different on what they do and how they were made.

• macelenemacelene Posts: 75

Yes I am aware I can return them, however I don't like doing that, as I hate it when people return my stuff.  So I'm guessing there is no real way to control shadows in Iray.  I despise hard shadows, as I rarely see them in reality.

• GolaMGolaM Posts: 109
    macelene said:

Yes I am aware I can return them, however I don't like doing that, as I hate it when people return my stuff.  So I'm guessing there is no real way to control shadows in Iray.  I despise hard shadows, as I rarely see them in reality.

In Iray you can control shadows very well. The hardness of a shadow is dependent on size and distance of the light source (aka relative size) . Like in photography if you have a large lightsource very close you'll get a very soft shadow.

Go to Light -> Area (right next to Photometrics) and change the light geometry. To disc for example. Then you will get softer shadows. You can use emission on a surface too to make light sources with actual area.

(A while ago I´ve written a post about emission surface vs. photometric spolights: http://golamartinez.com/2017/03/26/daz-studio-iray-spot-lights-vs-mesh-lights/
    The article shows how this kind of  light will look in Iray)

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

In addition to GolaM comments about emitter source size, you can also:

1. Use only plane geometry lights, or so-called emissive lights. Out of the box, these produce only diffuse light (emits 180 degrees) that produce little or no shadow, even when they are fairly small or close to the subject.

2. Switch to Iray Interactive mode (the default is Photoreal), which has a setting to control shadows.

• macelenemacelene Posts: 75

Thanks, I will check the link in a bit.  The only problem I seem to have with the emissive lights, is getting them close enough for the light to be there but far enough away that it is not in the sceen ( reflectons of them too).  I'm still learning how to use Iray though, but I am so used to how I was able to control them in Poser, that it is driving me batty quickly with DAZ Studio.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Honstly, just play with them.  I always do quite a few quick renders for just the first 10 or 20 itterations to see how the lighting looks.
    I very much second the statement about using area lights to create softer shadows.
    One thing to keep in mind about the default Iray "Tone Mapping" settings in Iray....  ISO 100, F/Stop 8, and Shutter Speed of 1/60 are not good settings for indoor lighting.
    I always start by changing my F/Stop to 1.8 and the Shutter Speed to about 1/500.  Makes lights much more managable without needing to crank the up to stupid high settings.

The following image was rendered using 2 spotlights with areas added to each and a primative in place as a floor and backdrop for light interaction (Yes Iray calculates light bounce off of objects, which is why indoor renders take longer than outdoor ones).  

As you can see the area lights do a nice job of softening the shadows.