Question regarding Victoria 5

rksrks100rksrks100 Posts: 49
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi, I'm a total beginner. I recently purchased Victoria 5 and was shopping for content for her. She is not listed as a search option, i.e. for example, one can narrow down all the clothing items that are compatible with Victoria 4 or Victoria 4 elite but not Victoria 5. Is the significant limitation due to new content having to be yet developed or is Victoria 5 fully compatible with clothing items for Victoria 4, Victoria 2 and Victoria 4 elite etc. ? The main reason I purchased Victoria 5 is to purchase some Victoria 4 skins (assuming Victoria 5 is an updated Victoria 4) but I don't fully understand the compatibility issues and now I'm also wondering whether the basic Genesis female would be able to take the Victoria 4 skins too ? I could answer some of these questions by simply trying I know but I'm having separate trouble with the skins which weren't designed for use in Daz but rather Poser. Trying to solve those issues separately !

Thanks in advance for addressing this simple question

Raj

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

V5 is a morph of Genesis, and Genesis clothing will fit. V4 clothing should also fit in most cases, using the Autofit Plugin, some items better than others.

Genesis is UV Mapped for V4, M4 and K4, so any of these skins will fit the Base Genesis model, and it's morphs as well. You can change the UV Set in the Surfaces pane near the bottom, with Genesis selected of course.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited March 2013

You also have a lot going on here.

When you say "Skins" it's a general term usually applied to the game industry, so just for the sake of clarity, learning specifics will help those trying to help you when you come to the forum with questions. Starting with the whole idea of colour channels I'll start you off there.

A Texture Map is a JPEG, PNG or other bitmap file applied to a character. When you see someone say "Texture Map" they're most often talking about the actual colour map which gives an object its colour or a figure it's skin colours. This is applied to the diffuse channel in the surfaces tab.

You'll most often also be dealing with Bump Maps as well, which is a grayscale image. This is also a texture map, but we don't usually call it that, instead calling it a bump map.

Then you have specular maps, subsurface scattering maps, displacement maps, etc...

When you talk about these as group, they are called "Materials". So I have a series of textures, bump and displacement maps that I need to apply to a figure but have yet to do so, I'll say "I need to set up the materials."

When I set up the materials, what I'm doing is creating shaders. A shader is a combined set of parameters that are refferenced by the render engine to give your surface colour, texture, shineyness, reflective values and, in the case of displacement mapping, shape. The shader is a more specific term than is "materials." A Shader is defined. If I post that "I still need to apply materials" I'm generalizing. It means I might need to create shaders for my surfaces or dimply apply preset shaders I have already created.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 3D :)

Post edited by wancow on
  • rksrks100rksrks100 Posts: 49
    edited December 1969

Thank you both for the response. To be more specific, I'm trying to load textures intended for V4 onto V5.

edited December 1969

Then that should be easy enough, just make sure to select the V4 UV Set at the bottom of the Surfaces pane, and if I were you, I would use the little lock symbol to keep it there, it has a habit of changing.

Have you tried this already?

edited December 1969

Then that should be easy enough, just make sure to select the V4 UV Set at the bottom of the Surfaces pane, and if I were you, I would use the little lock symbol to keep it there, it has a habit of changing.

Have you tried this already?

Thanks for the suggestion- will try tonight when I get home from work :)

By the way...since you are so kind with your time: would you be able to list the file paths for textures intended to be used originally in poser ? I purchased 'London' from the Renderosity web site for use in Daz since the developer stated in the description that the textures work fine in Daz. When loading onto V5, Daz is looking for the missing files because they're apparently in the wrong directory. This may get solved once the UV Set is adjusted as you suggested since V4 does appear in the file path being looked for by the program. I emailed the developer who was very pleasant but didn't know the answer because apparently beta testers told her the textures worked in Daz.

Once again, thanks for your time.

R.

edited December 1969

I would use the little lock symbol to keep it there, it has a habit of changing.
    took me forever to figure that out...
    edited March 2013

rksrks100 said:

By the way...since you are so kind with your time: would you be able to list the file paths for textures intended to be used originally in poser ? I purchased 'London' from the Renderosity web site for use in Daz since the developer stated in the description that the textures work fine in Daz. When loading onto V5

R.

If you want the UV map, which is a picture of how the polygons accept colour, you can use the original Victoria 4 UV map OR you can download this:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/66020/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-Base-Res-V4UVS-TEMPLATES

I made these templates from the Genesis Mesh itself. They are designed to accept Victoria 4 maps, but they are ever so slightly different. Just enough to cause issues. So if you are painting textures for Genesis based on the V4 UV, it would be best for you to use this set.

So far as the path to your texture set, they go under My Library/Runtime/Textures

Look in the zip file and see if there is a folder tree already set up. If you have a runtime folder, drag that into your DAZ 3D/Studio/My LIbrary folder.

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

I purchased 'London' from the Renderosity web site for use in Daz since the developer stated in the description that the textures work fine in Daz. When loading onto V5, Daz is looking for the missing files because they're apparently in the wrong directory.

How are you trying to load this London texture set? If you are loading it from a Poser Runtime, from the Pose folder, it should work, since the UV Set that a base Genesis loads with is the V4 one. You shouldn't have to change anything. Are you trying to load a PZ2 file, and if so, what error do you get from DS.

The best thing to do with ZIP files, is as wancow suggests, look inside the Runtime folder under Textures, and see where the ZIP file is going to put the content. Compare that path to the error message from DAZ Studio, there may be an error in the install path.

If you are on a PC, then all you need to do, is drop the complete Runtime folder into your DS default foldere, which should be 'My Library' or even 'My DAZ 3D Library' if you are using the DAZ Install Manager.

edited December 1969

The error is a bit confusing because it's looking for files that appear to be Victoria 4 specific files eg.:
    Cannot find file for "/Runtime/libraries/!Daz/Victoria4/Deltas/Morphs++/RemDeltas.SCLHeadSize.pz2"

This is a file that doesn't exist anywhere on my computer.
    In the previous version of Daz I never had this issue with poser content but unfortunately I deleted that last night to upgrade to the latest.

edited December 1969

did you look in the original zip file to see if it's somewhere in there?

edited December 1969

Yep it's definitely not in (the file name suggests it's a V4 morph file) there but I've made some progress. The textures are loading, just not the first few (which is where I naturally started). Interesting that some of the later ones do the same thing as what the first few are intended to do as far as I can tell from the associated icon picts. I guess the first few files must be for a different purpose I'm not familiar with but it doesn't matter for now I guess since I can do what I need to do.

Thanks everyone for your patience and help. Really appreciated.

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

The first few pz2 files are for injecting the morph onto victoria 4. As you have discovered, the files after that are the textures.