Changing a skin tone to white

Is there any way to mess around with the colors in the surface tool to change a flesh skin tone to white?

For example the base bree skin tone.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,513

In some occasions yes you can do that and you can somewhat do it but it won't be anywhere near being realistic. You would need to re-texture in most cases but not all.

• frank0314 said:

In some occasions yes you can do that and you can somewhat do it but it won't be anywhere near being realistic. You would need to re-texture in most cases but not all.

Any idea how?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,513

A delicate combo of adjusting diffuse and specular. Like I said you won't get it perfect no matter what you do.

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535

Is there any way to mess around with the colors in the surface tool to change a flesh skin tone to white?

Are you looking to basically create a pale skin if i understand it correctly?

• EcVh0 said:

Something like that. I was hoping to make a render of Harley Quinn without having to buy an additional material option.

edited July 2017
    EcVh0 said:

Something like that. I was hoping to make a render of Harley Quinn without having to buy an additional material option.

Hmm, that would be very hard without doing some hard work on textures/buy someone elses work

If you are using Pre-V8 way of skin (diffuse - translucency - glossy - bump - normal), turning a normal orangish texture to white will only make it look "dead", it will most likely take away the skin tone details but you could try tweaking translucency color and tint, forcing it to be a lot whiter than dark red

If you are using V8 way of skin (translucency - bump - normal) then texture/SSS work can achieve very good pale skin (working one for my skin shader right now), but yeah trial and error and loads of testings, good place to start is to grab V8 SSS maps and turning them pale :) - but then, you might lose the original texture and the new SSS map would be your new skin texture (yeah you can get rid of the diffuse map completely or find a way to merge into SSS)

Post edited by EcVh0 on
  • EcVh0 said:
    EcVh0 said:

Hmm, that would be very hard without doing some hard work on textures/buy someone elses work

If you are using Pre-V8 way of skin (diffuse - translucency - glossy - bump - normal), turning a normal orangish texture to white will only make it look "dead", it will most likely take away the skin tone details but you could try tweaking translucency color and tint, forcing it to be a lot whiter than dark red

If you are using V8 way of skin (translucency - bump - normal) then texture/SSS work can achieve very good pale skin (working one for my skin shader right now), but yeah trial and error and loads of testings, good place to start is to grab V8 SSS maps and turning them pale :) - but then, you might lose the original texture and the new SSS map would be your new skin texture (yeah you can get rid of the diffuse map completely or find a way to merge into SSS)

That seems a bit complex. Is there a white skin makeup option for genesis 2 females I could use instead?

EcVh0 said:
    EcVh0 said:

That seems a bit complex. Is there a white skin makeup option for genesis 2 females I could use instead?

Emm, tbh not many PA's has attempted or successfully made a realistic pale skin shader, the closest one so far being Snowflakes for Aiko 7 - which is G3 :/

https://www.daz3d.com/snowflake-for-aiko-7

Not sure if there are good ones for G2 tho

• Actually I think I found something that might let me edit the current skin materials I already have

https://www.daz3d.com/skin-builder-for-genesis-and-genesis2-female-s

Actually I think I found something that might let me edit the current skin materials I already have

https://www.daz3d.com/skin-builder-for-genesis-and-genesis2-female-s

Oh yeah! This works :D

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You could set the Diffuse Overlay to about .7 and the color to an eggshell white to get a pancake make-up look.

edited July 2017
    jestmart said:

You could set the Diffuse Overlay to about .7 and the color to an eggshell white to get a pancake make-up look.

That would take away quite a lot of details tho isn't it? frown

Post edited by EcVh0 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,905

I would suggest adjusting Vibrance; it seems to be a better way of removing color than saturation, and then lightening the skin a little. See if the skin looks flat/pale/lifeless with translucency set to 0, then reset translucency and get the translucency color and transmitted color where you want them.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    edited July 2017

I know your frustration and my remedy was originally to use Snowflake for Aiko 7 on occasion. And that texture set is still really good for the right characters but it's not practical to use that texture set for every pale character. Others are some by Lyoness (eg Stormy) and Fred Winkler (Tobias) and others but for those to work you are going to need to use more light than what the Sun-Sky and typical Emissive Lighting supplies unless you want to waste much time adjusting Surfaces to be kludgy to make up for the light rays in typical emmisive/Sun-Sky scene being traced as somewhat deficient.

For me dorking with the Surfaces tab to get somewhat better or flat out mediocre results or even poorer results was not helpful after learning the basics. And yes, I followed the instructions of people like ShibaShake and others in DAZLand that get really good results according to my eye but those methods weren't consistant like PBR is supposed to be. I think main problem is we try to set up according to what our eyes expects but instead get results like a cheap instamatic camera.

So basically I decided enough with wasting time dorking with those surfaces and to use the Painter's Lights product from J Cade to supplement the scene lighting. If you've seen J Cade's renders in the forum you know she (I think she is a she) is fastious and it's reflected in her product.

https://www.daz3d.com/painter-s-lights

The main drawback to using a product like Painter's Lights is of course then you will be hard pressed to create a scene that naturally has the light sources placed like they are in Painter's Lights but when the 'real simulated lights' are already unnatural looking well take which looks better to you. 

Also if you use high quality HRDIs as your light source that will help. Here are some free ones:

https://hdrihaven.com/bundle.php?b=free_bundle

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

The overlay seems to be a bust.  I have tried all sorts of way to get the overlay to not apply to the eyebrows and failed with all.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    jestmart said:

The overlay seems to be a bust.  I have tried all sorts of way to get the overlay to not apply to the eyebrows and failed with all.

To avoid that problem more easily try this product & follow the directions with it to permantly create a new texture set to resure as a material preset with your character:

https://www.daz3d.com/brow-remover-for-daz-studio

I am not trying to remove the brows, quite the opposite in fact.  I want th brows to show through as if no pancake make-up was applied over them.  Placed a grey scale image with the brow area black and the rest white in the Diffuse Overlay Weight channel and that did nothing.