Iray Interactive Update

When watching a video on Iray settings I noticed that the guy doing the video was rotating a character and had almost real-time updates of the Iray render. But with mine it lagged and just showed the grayscale image until I finished rotating, and then it showed me the Iray preview.

So after some digging I found the culprit. Smoothing and Collision detection.

My character was wearing conforming clothing, and I'm a BIG fan of enabling smoothing and especially collision detection to make the clothing look nice and not have any poke-thru. But the downside is that as you manipulate your view those keep updating, and they take a very long time to calculate.

So I guess the answer is to turn off those features for all your conforming clothing if you want a much faster interactive Iray preview, and then turn it on only as needed. 

Comments

• denmisundenmisun Posts: 29

Thanks so much for the tip!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I think you can leave smoothing and collision on as long as you don't have that (the smoothing/collision process) in interactive mode. If that is on then it tries to calculate on the fly as yo move your figure in the viewport.

Maybe that's what you meant - I'm just trying to differantiate between collision mode interactive and IRay interactive.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

nVidia has poor names for their render types. Interactive Iray is a fully rendered mode that provides more biased settings than Photoreal (i.e. shadow control), and is distinct from Realtime, which is what you get when you select the NVIDIA draw mode.

I think moving the camera and/or characters when you have smoothing or collision on can delay updates even in shaded draw mode, so the slowdown is not just related to Iray. Any time a geometry is updated (as happens when smoothing or collision is active) would require rebuilding at least part of the scene database, and this may be where the additional delay is coming from.