Clothing item changes figure textures?

jim_doriajim_doria Posts: 114

This is probably something simple that the more experienced artists know all about, but it has me stumped.

I am trying to fit the pants from the Vigilante outfit to a custom G3 character with morphs applied to her feet. When I add the pants to the figure, they seem to make part of the figure's shins invisible.

It's not the whole calf though - if I manually toggle visibility on the shins, a small part visible in the ankle area appears and disappears. But where the figure's shins would disappear into the pantlegs if the morph were not applied, there is nothing of the shins visible. The feet of the figure look like they are cut off just above the ankle.

Do clothing items generally alter the transparency of the underlying figure? I'm not even sure where I would look to tweak this.

Vigilante pants shin cutoff.jpg
1012 x 521 - 144K

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2017

because this is a form fitting outfit it is designed to be used with the boots that came with it.  If you add the boots then it should conceal the fact that some parts of the body have been made invisible to avoid poke through.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947

Just tried this and can't seem to replicate it.  It's usually boots/shoes that do this sort of thing.

• jim_doriajim_doria Posts: 114

Great feedback, thanks! Chohole and SimonJM!

Since I am using some pretty extreme morphs on the feet, I don't want to use the Vigilante boots for this character. (I want this character to be barefoot anyway.)

Plus I'm a big believer in mixing & matching. wink I would want to find a way to do this, whether the vendor designed for it or not.

More specifically, I am looking for a way to UNDO it. I was hoping to get an idea of how this works so I could begin tweaking. But I don't understand the mechanism that clothing items use to make this kind of change, so I'm not sure where to start. 

If it's usually shoes / boots that do this, HOW do they do it? It's not simply toggling visibility of the affected body part. Are they applying a separate transparency map to the underlying figure? Where is that configured? Or is it something else?

• RitaCelesteRitaCeleste Posts: 625

First look at G3F and see if parts of the leg are invisible in the scene tab.  It may be a simple matter to turn that part visible again by clicking on the eye. You can then see if there are adjustment morphs for the pants in the parameters of the pants? Sometimes there are greyed out parameters you can adjust for fitting. Maybe show hidden stuff, not sure why I see the greyed out stuff on some clothing items. Beyond that, I wouldn't know how to make the pants fatter in the calf.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

Vigilante is a Nikisatez product. That artist uses a geografting technique to hide parts of the figure so they don't poke through tight garments. It is not the same as toggling visibility off on a bone of the figure. It is much more difficult to deal with. Once that technique is used to hide part of the body, you have to actually delete the garment from your scene to get the body part back! Just hiding the garment will not work; you must delete it from the scene entirely. Now, that is a big problem, if the pants are hiding part of the figure and you actually want to use the pants in your scene.

Here is a forum posting where Nikisatez responded to complaints about this issue and suggested a workaround by editing the dsf file.

• jim_doriajim_doria Posts: 114

Thanks a million, barbult! Just what I was after! yes

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,440
    barbult said:

Once that technique is used to hide part of the body, you have to actually delete the garment from your scene to get the body part back! Just hiding the garment will not work; you must delete it from the scene entirely.

You don't need to go quite that far. Unfitting them from the figure before you hide them will also do the job, and that way, they're still readily available when you need them. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,921

well this explains why that outfit stuffs up her ankle for me in iClone.

geografted clothes should carry a warning!!! ( though that one is part of her bundle)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224
    barbult said:

Once that technique is used to hide part of the body, you have to actually delete the garment from your scene to get the body part back! Just hiding the garment will not work; you must delete it from the scene entirely.

You don't need to go quite that far. Unfitting them from the figure before you hide them will also do the job, and that way, they're still readily available when you need them. 

Good to know! I hope I can remember...