Show only in render

So I've been searching this forum for a few hours now but can't figure it out if there is any way to show something only while rendering. I have a crowd of people and it's kinda annoying to hide/show them when I do a render. Is there any way to be invisible while working and show only when I render. 
Thank you

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Not really, because you have to remember to show them again when you render. I am talking about the 'eye icon' in the Scenes tab to hide & unhide the crowd which I think you know about. If the crowd is causing selection problems as you try to arrange things in the viewport in the Scene tab you can click the tiny checkmark just to the right of the eye and turn it into a tiny X. This leaves the crowd visible but stops them from being selected in the viewport. They can still be selected in the scene tab if you need to though.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Great tip @nonesuch00 Thank You!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732

Does anyone know what the "v" checkmark (which changes to an "x" when you click it) does?

ds_checkmark.jpg
    283 x 143 - 7K
  • Makes the item unselectable. It's teated as no there for clicking in the view port.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732

Makes the item unselectable. It's teated as no there for clicking in the view port.

OK, thanks!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

That's a check, not a V laugh

• hapciupalithapciupalit Posts: 113

Not really, because you have to remember to show them again when you render. I am talking about the 'eye icon' in the Scenes tab to hide & unhide the crowd which I think you know about. If the crowd is causing selection problems as you try to arrange things in the viewport in the Scene tab you can click the tiny checkmark just to the right of the eye and turn it into a tiny X. This leaves the crowd visible but stops them from being selected in the viewport. They can still be selected in the scene tab if you need to though.

Thank you

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576

Makes the item unselectable. It's teated as no there for clicking in the view port.

...I use that a lot so I don't have to worry about moving something I don't need to when using the in-viewport manipulators as they can be a bit "flaky" at times.  Suddenly I would find myself moving the backdrop or part of a set instead of say, a character or prop I am trying to position.