OT - Steam Sale: Store Down?

marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I saw a bit of news saying that Steam is having a sale and wondered whether Silo might be in the sale for some bargain price. However, I can't get to the store - it appears to be down due to weight of traffic.

I've never bought anything from Steam although my son buys his games from them. I still don't know how it works but I had an idea that you buy something but never own it - is that correct? If so, I will probably not buy after all unless the price is ridiculously low.

Comments

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited June 2017

It depends on what you buy. I bought Silo through Steam but it was just a normal download and it doesn't connect through the Steam downloader thingy.

The site is up at the time of this post and silo is currently 75% off until 5th July ( I'm not in the US so I don't know the price in American dollars but probably around $27 ish)

Post edited by adzan on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

It is still down for me. Don't know if it is a geographical thing - I'm in New Zealand.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,082
    marble said:

It is still down for me. Don't know if it is a geographical thing - I'm in New Zealand.

It's "steampowered", not simply "steam".

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

And steampower takes you to a whole different site LOL

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

Marble, it's down because it was the first day of the sale. They always get huge volumes of traffic during that and the servers tend to get totally overloaded. It goes on for a few days, though. So, just keep checking back. :)

You need to have your own (free) Steam account in order to buy anything. You would then get a digital download, not a physical disc. You have to get the (also free) Steam software and then, if you've bought a product, it goes in the library of that.

I've only ever obtained games from them. I assume the non-gaming software they host essentially functions the same way: Open Steam (it will typically load up when you start the computer, by default, unless you change that in options) and then peruse the library (this will be the page it tends to open up with at the start), then select the product and tell it to install. Once it's isntalled, you then undertake the same process to make it 'play', so to speak (or at least, that's tthe sequence of events you follow when using a game).

You might want to get it through somewhere else if you don't want the Steam front-end thing.