How can I create symmetrical morphs for Genesis?

jothdajothda Posts: 14
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

What is the easiest way to create two symmetrical morphs (left side - right side) for Genesis?
Each morph should have its own slider, like e.g. some of the standard morphs for the eyes (brow down left - brow down right).

If the morph is created in Hexagon and imported to DAZ Studio via the "Morph Loader Pro", can it be duplicated for the other side of Genesis within DS? Or is there a better way - maybe with some of the Hexagon symmetry functions?

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I only know of one way to do this, and that's to mirror the mesh and snap in the verts for a fresh mesh, and export that... Would love to know an easier way...

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited December 1969

try this

on scene TAB
    select both Right eye and Left eye (CTRL +mouse)

other way,
    you can use the Copy/Paste PARAMETER feature

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited March 2013

jothda said:
    What is the easiest way to create two symmetrical morphs (left side - right side) for Genesis?
    Each morph should have its own slider, like e.g. some of the standard morphs for the eyes (brow down left - brow down right).

If the morph is created in Hexagon and imported to DAZ Studio via the "Morph Loader Pro", can it be duplicated for the other side of Genesis within DS? Or is there a better way - maybe with some of the Hexagon symmetry functions?

Now, I don't make morphs, but I have made some clothes in Hexagon; either way, if you want both sides of something to be identical, do the work with Symmetry turned on. This will cause anything you do on one side to automatically be mirrored on the other as you do it.
    Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • jothdajothda Posts: 14
    edited March 2013

Now, I don't make morphs, but I have made some clothes in Hexagon; either way, if you want both sides of something to be identical, do the work with Symmetry turned on. This will cause anything you do on one side to automatically be mirrored on the other as you do it.

That's right, but with this option I could only create a symmetrical morph with ONE slider in DAZ studio.
    Or is there a secret setting in Morph Loader Pro that I can apply the altered obj-file to only one side of Genesis?

Post edited by jothda on
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    I only know of one way to do this, and that's to mirror the mesh and snap in the verts for a fresh mesh, and export that... Would love to know an easier way...

This sounds very interesting! But what do you mean exactly with "snap in the verts for a fresh mesh"?
    What would I have to do after I have mirrored the mesh?

edited December 1969

jothda said:

That's right, but with this option I could only create a symmetrical morph with ONE slider in DAZ studio.
    Or is there a secret setting in Morph Loader Pro that I can apply the altered obj-file to only one side of Genesis?Nope. Not that I know of. IF you want to create an asymmetrical morph, turn Symmetry off when making the morph. If you want the morph to be symmetrical, turn Symmetry on when making the morph. You can't make a morph that is both symmetrical and asymmetrical.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited March 2013

As you mention, there are already morphs such as right brow down, etc. Someone made them, so it is possible:)

One method I can think of, which would be a lot of pretty tedious work, but do-able if you really want to.

Each vert has a precise point in 3D space and this can be read from the coordinates in the properties panel. Do a symmetrical morph and note the XYZ positions of each vert that was moved. Go back to the unmorphed state, get out of symmetry modeling then set the verts on one side to the coordinates noted. Export as a morph target, set back to unmorphed, do the same on the other side.

Depending on what the morph is you want to do, you may be able to get away with using soft select and only moving and noting the position of one vert on each side.

As I said, pretty tedious work - have fun:)

Edit: Just tested - when using soft select and sending a vert to a coordinate, the other verts in the soft select area aren't affected, so no getting away from the very tedious noting and replicating the position of every moved vert - ouch!

Post edited by Roygee on
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    As you mention, there are already morphs such as right brow down, etc. Someone made them, so it is possible:)

One method I can think of, which would be a lot of pretty tedious work, but do-able if you really want to.

Each vert has a precise point in 3D space and this can be read from the coordinates in the properties panel. Do a symmetrical morph and note the XYZ positions of each vert that was moved. Go back to the unmorphed state, get out of symmetry modeling then set the verts on one side to the coordinates noted. Export as a morph target, set back to unmorphed, do the same on the other side.

Depending on what the morph is you want to do, you may be able to get away with using soft select and only moving and noting the position of one vert on each side.

Edit: Just tested - when using soft select and sending a vert to a coordinate, the other verts in the soft select area aren't affected, so no getting away from the very tedious noting and replicating the position of every moved vert - ouch!

This would be a possibility... but for larger morphs it would be an incredible time-consuming task. As there are so many morphs out there which have exactly this feature - just see all the morphs in the Genesis Evolution Muscularity Set - how are these morphs made??? Maybe it is only possible with much more advanced software tools than Hexagon...

edited December 1969

jothda said:
    Roygee said:

This would be a possibility... but for larger morphs it would be an incredible time-consuming task. As there are so many morphs out there which have exactly this feature - just see all the morphs in the Genesis Evolution Muscularity Set - how are these morphs made??? Maybe it is only possible with much more advanced software tools than Hexagon...More likely by people with a lot of time and patience.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

If you have ZBrush this thread might be of help
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14124/

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Yes, clearly made with more advanced tools than Hex - looks like that Z-brush masking is the way to do it.

But, if you don't have Z-brush or similar advanced apps, you use what you have and one advantage that hobbyists have over pro's is that time is not a constraint. You can take all the time you need to get the result you want and the achievement of your goal is so much more satisfying than instant gratification buy-pose-render:)

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I use this tool,, when make symmentrical morphs (or swap,, copy,,L to R, R to L,,

I know sometimes cause problem when use symmentrical option in hexagon,,
    so that I just adjust R-side,, then if hope perfect symmentrical,, I reshape it as morph by this tool.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10974/

edited December 1969

I use this tool,, when make symmentrical morphs (or swap,, copy,,L to R, R to L,,

I know sometimes cause problem when use symmentrical option in hexagon,,
    so that I just adjust R-side,, then if hope perfect symmentrical,, I reshape it as morph by this tool.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10974/

Thank you so much for this information. The small tool "MTMirror II" seems to work perfectly! All my modelling problems are solved ;-).

A big thank you as well to all other forum members who contributed to this discussion!