IDG, DG lights and shaders - want "sci-fi" look on a sculpted object

Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

I've done this before but now I can't seem to make headway - some Star Wars-like, 2-D shapes that a friend suggested in passing made me want to try to sculpt them in Hexagon. It turned out to be a lot easier than I expected, see attached screen shot. smiley

Ok, next I tried the sci-fi Iray surface lights shaders set on the primitive shape I extruded and "chamfered", and I'm not getting the results I want, at least not in the early going. Lights used were the IDG Studio Lights set... not sure if that one is still listed in the store.

1. Where did the black dot in the center come from?! There is nothing else in the scene, just my .HXN file from Hexagon, sent over the bridge to DS.

2. How come there are no emissive SF "lights" running along the side of the object???

If you look closely at my previous render there's two primitive spheres in the scene and the DG surfaces and lights and grunge and stuff are working pretty good. Please don't tell me this "only works on primitives created in DAZ Studio and not in Hexagon" or "it only works on .OBJ format files"... I have very little hair left to pull on!

hexagon-model-chamfered.jpg
968 x 703 - 162K
experimental-model-first-try-at-shading.jpg
1200 x 850 - 177K
previous-attempt-pretty-good.jpg
790 x 592 - 133K

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

Did you apply a UV map?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The black dot is the result of using beveled edges.  They don't delineate the planes as well as cutting in an extra loop cut set very near the edges of the planes.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    scorpio said:

Did you apply a UV map?

Hmmm... I burned the midnight oil on this last night. Ok, overall this sort of model seems to look better when I save the .OBJ file with a UV map.

midnight-oil.jpg
    2048 x 1317 - 286K
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550

Yeah, those shader presets are not procedural, but image map based. Most shader prests in the store work this way, so you need to have a UV map on the item. Actually, it is hard to get anything except a solid color on any object that hasn't been UV'd. It looks like you are getting there.