Placing many objects/figures automatically on surface

ueziuezi Posts: 46

hi,

i want to place a lot of objects (insects/flies/bees) onto a surface (wardrobe/geometry shell/figure).

any idea how to achieve or fake this?

thanks and best regards,

Uezi

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,569

Place the one object, then go to "Create" - "New Node Instances" and then input the amount.. Then you will have to move all them around to where you want them.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,328

There is also this script available to help with placement: https://www.daz3d.com/instances-plus-for-daz-studio

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,844

ultrascatter may be better or even LAMH if you want actual geometry

• SethMSethM Posts: 65

There is also a script at https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts5/mcjdroptoterrain that "drops" items on the Y axis until their bounding box touches the geometry of a different set of objects. Good for moving your insects until they reach your surface.

• ueziuezi Posts: 46

Thanks for the responses. The most promissing way seems to be LAMH... But is it possible to replace hairs with e.g. flies from the "Ultimate Fly Collection" ?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,569
    uezi said:

Thanks for the responses. The most promissing way seems to be LAMH... But is it possible to replace hairs with e.g. flies from the "Ultimate Fly Collection" ?

Why would LAMH be the most promising way? I guess if you are wanting it for outside of DS maybe, but in DS, instancing is the best bet IMO. See image, one butterfly loaded, 2 clicks later 101 butterflies and with instancing, it saves on resources.

instancing.jpg
    1555 x 878 - 1M

Hi FSMCDesigns,

I hava no plans to export or use this outside of Daz.

i want to cover a dress with flies. Having a hair-like approach looks for me the most promising way as it respects the geometry of the dress.

Positioning "thousands" of flies manually on a dress "sounds" like a hell of a task... (unless you have a great trick of course)

best regards,

Uezi

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,844

you can replace hairs with any prop you may need to go to edit fogure rigging convert to prop for it to see it.

But yes it will be a very heavy load.

Ultrascatter places instances on a surface of an object,  only suggested LAMH as you might already have it, infinato will also do it.

Unfortunately I don't have any of these products yet...

Heavy load... I'm aware of it. Hope it fits onto a M4000...

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

I have both lamh and ultrascatter, and I definitely think ultrascatter is superior for what you're talking about.

i have used it to make a dress made of flowers, which is very similar to what you describe.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995

LAMH will work for instancing if the items are props.  LAMH can also randomize items and their rotations.  The densitymap feature can control placement and number, while multiple shavegroups can overlay multiple types of props into the same area(s).

Kendall

Thanks for the answers. I think it's down to LAMH or ultrascatter.

@timmins.william: you've created some sort of flower dress? Was it difficult to achieve?

Not really? The key was finding a good flower texture; I think the 'geometry' was just a plane. I scattered it on a top with the coverage I wanted.

Then a matter of trying to get enough flowers to cover her while not having so much they clipped terribly.

Result:

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Naturewitchy-630051021

Oh, looks great! This is the direction I'd like to go. Thanks!

So, I had some impressive success with UltraScatter. Still optimizing the outcome and reducing number of instances... initially the geometry went up to 1001m triangles (O_o)...

thanks!

IMG_7676.PNG
    1242 x 2208 - 4M

That's amazing!

Some tips:

make sure optimization is on Memory when working with lots of instances.

If the effect is hovering too far from the figure, try using a push modifier to 'shrink' the figure, scatter, then reset the push.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

Not really? The key was finding a good flower texture; I think the 'geometry' was just a plane. I scattered it on a top with the coverage I wanted.

Then a matter of trying to get enough flowers to cover her while not having so much they clipped terribly.

Result:

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Naturewitchy-630051021

I recently discovered that Kaweki has a standalone ivy generator over at Renderotica/CGBytes that will cover any item with vines automatically.  I haven't bought it yet, but his ropemaker and strapmaker have both proved quite useful.  

That said, if the original poster is looking at covering something like flies, I'd suggest checking out Coflek-gnorg's "the Swarm 2" over at Rendo, as it includes two prebuilt scatters of 20 and 40 flies crawling on a surface.with an impressively low load on the system.  And it's dirt cheap, especially if you're in Prime.