Gene Simmons seeking to trademark 'Devil Horns' rock and roll hand gesture

I figured that this might be of particular interest to y'all here, as we work with hand gestures in Daz...

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/kiss-singer-wants-to-trademark-devil-horns-rock-and-roll-sign/

It would truly suck if we were risking trademark infringement every time we used a hand gesture in a render.  Let's hope that the Patent and Trademark office doesn't award this...

What's next?  Someone trademarking the 'heart' symbol hand gesture?  Or the thumbs up, down and sideways? Or the 'OK' gesture?  or the 'V for Victory' gesture?

Comments

• Good luck with that one, Gene. 

I remember seeing that one when I was a kid. Italians (at least from Southern Italy) use that to ward off the Evil Eye. It;'s an old folk custom. Even older than Mr. Simmons. The same sign was used in Yellow Submarine. Old movie. Even older than KISS.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Well that's not going to fly.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,030
    Wiki says it's as old as Gautama Buddha, so yeah.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,924

what a *anker!

Madonna tried the same thing with her name which apparently the Virgin Mary must have stolen!!! cheeky

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,821

I renember an interview with Ronnie James Dio, where he predicted, that Gene Simmons whould do that.laugh Everbody knows, Ronnie's grandma is the owner.wink

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,821

Good luck with that one, Gene. 

I remember seeing that one when I was a kid. Italians (at least from Southern Italy) use that to ward off the Evil Eye. It;'s an old folk custom. Even older than Mr. Simmons. The same sign was used in Yellow Submarine. Old movie. Even older than KISS.

Called the Maloik.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

I thought Dio claimed to have invented it

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited June 2017

I think if Gene Simmons ever tried to collect payment for it, he'd probably be quickly shown another popular hand gesture.  wink

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2017
    Lol. :D
    Post edited by TJohn on

Paris Hilton tried the same thing with the expression "thats hot"

must be something they are all huffing!!!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

When I was a little boy in the 70s that gesture used to be shown me often by a teenage girl that was a neighbor but when I asked I was told it meant b* aka female dog.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,736
    edited June 2017

It was also the hand sign that George Clinton, leader of Parliament and Funkadelic, used for "p-funk," contemporary with Kiss and Dio. Here's Bootsy using it in 1976.

Post edited by Chohole on

what is wrong with these patent people??

I just read one Diamond Dallas Page managed to patent the Twinkle Tinkle little star diamond guesture as his own!!!!

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,736

Also called "the cornuto."

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

I renember an interview with Ronnie James Dio, where he predicted, that Gene Simmons whould do that.laugh Everbody knows, Ronnie's grandma is the owner.wink

I saw an interview with Dio talking about that and the evil eye thing it's old as but then again it wouldn't be the first thing someone has copyrighted trademarked that was ancient pretty low really

it would only fly in America though ....

on a side note I saw this about the meaning of the middle finger salute don't know if true or not but sounds like it could be Image may contain: one or more people and text

there was another time Gene tried suing King Diamond for one for wearing makeup said was too much like theirs and they were the originators of that look Alice Cooper thought it was funny

speaking of Alice Cooper, Britney Spears tried to sue him because she thought Billion Dollar Babies was written about her even though when he wrote in 1973 she wasn't even born so he mocks her now wore a t shirt on the Brutal Planet tour front said Britney wants me, and on back -dead

this copyrighting trade marking does get a bit out of hand and stupid though 

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744

Good luck with that one, Gene. 

Called the Maloik.

am italian american raised in NY, can confirm.

wait I just read that article he also wants to trademark the moneybag image? sooo that mean if any of those old cartoons/comics like Batman, Scrooge McDuck and others get shown they have to pay royalties to Gene?

he sounds like a serial patent pest, must be finding it hard to live on all his Kiss royalties.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,743

I heard that Trump wanted to patent "You're fired." I guess that would have helped the unemployment problem...

• lface8lface8 Posts: 126
    Bobvan said:

Dio told the story of how he learned it. He's of Italian descent and his grandmother used to give him that sign (palm toward the person) to ward off the evil. Back of the hand towards the person was meant as a curse. Mighty Mysterio mentioned it earlier in the thread as well. 

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    lface8 said:
    Bobvan said:

Dio told the story of how he learned it. He's of Italian descent and his grandmother used to give him that sign (palm toward the person) to ward off the evil. Back of the hand towards the person was meant as a curse. Mighty Mysterio mentioned it earlier in the thread as well. 

I miss Dio.  Magica is such a good album, and a nice blend of storytelling and kickass metal!

• on a side note I saw this about the meaning of the middle finger salute don't know if true or not but sounds like it could be Image may contain: one or more people and text

Unlikely as we don't (or didn't) use the middle finger gesture, but the first two fingers (which was also suposedly taced back to Agincourt). Most of these things are post-hoc rationalisations.