Why Daz Needs to Release New Generations

ArgleSWArgleSW Posts: 141

Seeing a lot of people complainging that Genesis 8 arrived too soon. Its been 2 years and people need to realize Daz is in the business of making money. I'm sure they have a lot of data tracking what products sell the most and plan around an aggresive calendar release to keep consistent interest going. When you release a new generation, it sparks interest for lapsed buyers and brings them back. You see this in any industry. As soon as a company notices sales dropping, time to release something new. Does not have to be a signifigant improvement, as long as it sounds new you get peoples attention. Just like how Apple releases a new phone every year. A tiny improvement, but the new name draws in new buyers every year. Its like Apple customers complaing the 6s release was too soon because they just bought a 6 a year ago. If releasing new generations boosts sales, you can't blame Daz for doing so. Its how businesses operate and survive.

Comments

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

& nobody is forced to buy right away

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

The people who are complaining represent a minority of the shoppers at DAZ store. Most buyers never use the forum. Numbers will tell in the end, and I suspect Victoria 8 will be a big seller.

• Well, I cancelled my Platinum club. I just can't keep blowing hundreds of dollars every couple of years. 

DAZ used to show 'white' renders so you could see exactly what something was, and used to show you headshots that showed the entire face.

Now, due to sales no doubt, most of the images APART from the cover image look like fashion shoots - nice hair, posing, etc. That's fine, but at least show us what we are buying.

One character I liked, I never could see her eyebrows.

I used to like DAZ ... but it's really gone downhill since the marketing folks became in charge.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589

Seeing a lot of people complainging that Genesis 8 arrived too soon. Its been 2 years and people need to realize Daz is in the business of making money. I'm sure they have a lot of data tracking what products sell the most and plan around an aggresive calendar release to keep consistent interest going. When you release a new generation, it sparks interest for lapsed buyers and brings them back. You see this in any industry. As soon as a company notices sales dropping, time to release something new. Does not have to be a signifigant improvement, as long as it sounds new you get peoples attention. Just like how Apple releases a new phone every year. A tiny improvement, but the new name draws in new buyers every year. Its like Apple customers complaing the 6s release was too soon because they just bought a 6 a year ago. If releasing new generations boosts sales, you can't blame Daz for doing so. Its how businesses operate and survive.

an iphone that you use daily for 100 of things or a 3d figure you use only as a hobby in a virtualworld, i find this difficult to compare and not the same.
    i prefer more the evolution of the software where you use and play with the 3d content that needs a good evolution from time to time else people would lost interest in a while.
    same content over and over again, will stop working at some time i'll guess.
    the problem in poser world is that they stood still to long if you compare what is possible in opensource Blender today or the unrealengine.
    then 'm talking specially about tools specific for character software, under developed animation setup, dynamic hair & clothes, softbodies and at least realtime rendering or a good export to tools that make this possible...
    it all started as a program to only do some stills or animé. But with al the stuff people see on tv or in games today, people would like to have such kind of stuff to play with and expect more and more from it.
    Soon we all are in VR...

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,442
    Fixme12 said:
    it all started as a program to only do some stills or animé. But with al the stuff people see on tv or in games today, people would like to have such kind of stuff to play with and expect more and more from it.

It all started as a reference tool, to improve on the old artist's mannequins that were used to model poses. Thus the name "Poser".

• talidesadetalidesade Posts: 71

I'm sure V8 will sell quite well. Victoria always does. The real question is if the lineup -after- her sells or not. And that I think is highly questionable due to product fatigue. Genesis 3 was JUST RECENTLY starting to get really interesting, and now...G3 is done. It is highly unlikely there will be any new G3 releases on Daz.

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 791

Yeah, but it's still a super low res figure. Even by gaming standards, it's pretty much useless.

• So lets look at what they're selling that supposedly isn't selling. Apparently Centaur 7 female, released two weeks ago, didn't sell. Neither did Ophelia 7, released about 2 weeks prior to that. But supposedly the Ugliest Victoria Ever will. So if I can't entice "Broadies" to buy Centaur 7 female, and I can't entice "Graduates" to buy Ophelia 7.. What is a trainwreck of Sandra Bullock and Geena Davis supposed to appeal to?

If Vicky is all that is selling.. DAZ, under this logic, would be better served to release a new Genesis every 6 months.

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740

Where is the "Like" button when you need one?! Good speach. smiley

But supposedly the Ugliest Victoria Ever will.

Victoria 7 didn't sell? I doubt that... winklaugh

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136

My main problem is the timing.  While I agree that it's necessary to produce a new generation, there should be some​ seperation between them.  I haven't even finished getting all of the characters I want from the Gen 7 line yet, and now here's Gen 8!  Even the timing between character releases could be better.  Before I can get a feel for how to work with a new character, the next one in line is out and I'm working that one out.

On top of that, there's very little time for my bank account to recover before the next character comes out.  Even with the 30% discount, I'm still shelling out around $30 per character, plus an additional $30 per HD set.  That's a pretty big chunk of change for me, and makes me dread the launch of a new character, rather than anticipate it.

Bottom line, slow down!!

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited June 2017

To be quite honest, I was literally going to come to the forums a few days ago and say, "isn't it about time we see the new generation of Genesis?" We got all the Aikos and Giannis and friends we really were expecting and a few we werent and it felt like it was time. I feel like I uncorked a genie bottle. I'm frankly thrilled and looking forward to M8 asap.

For those worried about affording all the new stuff, you really don't have to worry. All your existing stuff still works, various vendors will still produce things for G3, and it takes months for a good library of new products to fill in. You don't need to buy it today just because it's out today. For me, I couldn't snatch it up fast enough.

Post edited by Ademnus on
  • AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744

Yeah, but it's still a super low res figure. Even by gaming standards, it's pretty much useless.

I don't use them as 3d models for games (tho I do use rendered 2d stills) but she looks great to me. Here's a test render I just did.

licht.jpg
    973 x 735 - 677K
  • The people who are complaining represent a minority of the shoppers at DAZ store. Most buyers never use the forum. Numbers will tell in the end, and I suspect Victoria 8 will be a big seller.

I have to say you are right, while the forum people are loud they need more number to really influence DAZ or Vendors, numbers are what drives the market. But I will say you had a win on the decryption stuff

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

I for one am not jumping on the Victoria 8 bandwagon...  Now when Bethany 8 comes out I will be yelling "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!" at the screen.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,827

Yes, DAZ wants to sell. IWant better Figures to buy. If DAZ wants to go on selling, they have to make better Figures. So DAZ actually makes it happen to have a new generation of improved Figures every two years. I have the best availeble 3d figure now, DAZ has my money. Win,win, what is wrong with that? 

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

Hello!  I was also just recently thinking that Gen 8 would be out this year, and "Poof!" there it is.  I won't be buying right away, because I prefer to see other models appear, along with the stuff in their bundles.  Maybe by Christmas time.

I'm also happy that they aligned the numbers, making Victoria 8 = Gen 8.  I always thought that Victoria 7 = Generation 3 just left too much room for misunderstandings.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,903

What irritates me about the 'it was about time' is that that view is entirely about one segment of the audience.

Me? I want a new four arms. Or cyclops. Or two headed Vickie. Or G3 cyborg like bot armor. Or...

So yet again I'm reminded that I'm not Daz preferred market.

• Arnold C said:

Where is the "Like" button when you need one?! Good speach. smiley

But supposedly the Ugliest Victoria Ever will.

Victoria 7 didn't sell? I doubt that... winklaugh

Who said I was referencing Victoria 7? I'm referencing 8.
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,033
    edited June 2017
    And Daz is not Pokemon - you don't have to collect 'em all. ☺
    Post edited by TJohn on
  • wizwiz Posts: 1,100

The people who are complaining represent a minority of the shoppers at DAZ store. Most buyers never use the forum. Numbers will tell in the end, and I suspect Victoria 8 will be a big seller.

That assumption is most likely false. You're assuming a selection process in the sampling. If the forum represents a random sample of shoppers (which is much more likely than magical selection) then dissatisfaction in the forum is proportional to dissatisfaction in the larger purchasing community.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

People with problems or complaint tend to post more than others.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,475
    wiz said:

That assumption is most likely false. You're assuming a selection process in the sampling. If the forum represents a random sample of shoppers (which is much more likely than magical selection) then dissatisfaction in the forum is proportional to dissatisfaction in the larger purchasing community.

The forum members only make up 8-10% of the customer base.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,286

What irritates me about the 'it was about time' is that that view is entirely about one segment of the audience.

Me? I want a new four arms. Or cyclops. Or two headed Vickie. Or G3 cyborg like bot armor. Or...

So yet again I'm reminded that I'm not Daz preferred market.

A different question is "do you plan to base your idea of being a vendor by making niche characters and will you price them to be profitable or as loss leaders?"; if you don't plan to make money and take a loss by appealling to that passionate group who do a lot of two-headed vicky renders (okay...), how do you rationalize to a store that they should chose you over a vendor who might make a profitable product?

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,827

I started buying content shortly befor Victoria 3 was released. Already at that time, there have been the same complaints as today. "Spent so much money on Vicky 2, now I have to buy new stuff". Does that sound familiar? What counts to me is figure quality, and this quality is without competition.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567
    edited June 2017
    wiz said:

Nope. We've been told that time and time again. That forum members do not represent the silent majority of buyers. Genesis 8 is in fact selling well.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176481/genesis-8-some-stats-and-our-thanks#latest

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • It's gree
    wiz said:

Nope. We've been told that time and time again. That forum members do not represent the silent majority of buyers. Genesis 8 is in fact selling well.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176481/genesis-8-some-stats-and-our-thanks#latest

It's free. Maybe that's why it's selling so well. Even I've downloaded it. Can you give us some stats on a product they are actually charging money for???
    edited June 2017

Why would they show the public their sales numbers? No other business on this planet would do that. Us PA's work for them and we don't even get to see them.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    It's gree
    wiz said:

It's free. Maybe that's why it's selling so well. Even I've downloaded it. Can you give us some stats on a product they are actually charging money for???

Yes Genesis 8 is free, but so was Gensis 3 and Genesis 2 and the original genesis.   Steve is comparing figures with the take up of Genesis 8 as comparedf to Genesis 3

• frank0314 said:

Why would they show the public their sales numbers? No other business on this planet would do that. Us PA's work for them and we don't even get to see them.

I did not know that. Interesting. So they just cut you a check and leave you guessing?
    edited June 2017

We can see our own numbers but thats all. I don't blam them in the least. It all depends on what you make.

Post edited by frank0314 on
This discussion has been closed.