Genesis 8 / Victoria 8 requirements

Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,340
edited June 2017 in The Commons

I am currently using DAZ Studio version 4.9.2.70 and am reluctant to upgrade further until I get updated Nvidia drivers which I'm waiting to upgrade to when I get a new video card next month.

So, OK, I realize I will need the new version of DS in order to use the new Power Pose; but meanwhile  will Genesis 8 and Victoria 8 otherwise work with the version of DS I am now using? Or is DS 4.9.4 absolutely essential to using them?

Maybe this has already been covered in the forums and I didn't see it; but there are an awful lot of posts to wade through.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I wish I could test it for you to see - but I've already updated to the latest version (after creating a User Data backup of course). :)

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

You will need the newest update of DS to use G8F. Sorry :(

Laurie

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565

In DS 4.8 (not a typo) clicking to load G8F causes an error message to pop up saying this version can't load it, needs a minimum 4.9.something.111 ...

but then G8F loads in 4.8 anyway. No error messagees in the log, and as far as I can see it works fine. All body parts there, poses, morphs, ERC linked morphs engage as they should (although I severely disagree with linking the bicep flex so it will only engage if the forearm is twisted as well as bent ... somebody at DAZ needs to look at someone's biceps when the forarm is bent and then twisted this way and that ... or look at some of the Bodybuilding comp standard poses; but that's not a DS version fault, just idiotic ERC connection in the supplied files I'll be editing).

The only issue would be the provided Iray materials. I use 3DL anyway, but in a 4.9 before latest, you could just apply a working material with ignoree maps set.

Ca't find anything but the iray materials not working in 4.8, so any 4.9 should be fine, I'd have thought.

Note: this is with the G8F as DSF and DUF files installed with DIM. Whether Connect and funny connect format files will work i couldn't say as I won't use it.

• talidesadetalidesade Posts: 71

Don't forget you can try the 4.9.4 beta without touching your main Daz install. Which is exactly what I have done for testing out G8.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

A couple of features that won't work in older versions of DS:

-- auto-loading of the eyelash and eyebrow conformers with the figure, and auto-applying their textures with a material preset

-- autofit and transfer utility correcting for the different zero pose

-- new Powerpose features

-- new Iray Uber features

I imagine there are others. but those are the ones I'm aware of.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565

A couple of features that won't work in older versions of DS:

<snip>

-- autofit and transfer utility correcting for the different zero pose

Autofit is a problem (pity because G8F is exactly the same shape and size as G3F and has the same zero pose apart from shldrbend bend down 45 and thighbend side-to-side out 6 - and G3F clothing loads not only fitting perfectly but conforminng to the A Pose ... but you can't actually use it like that as then Autofit comes up. and to carry on fitting to the figure you have to tell it to actually autofit, at which points the arms and legs jump back up to T pose).

Transfer Utility ... not so much. Takes a couple of extra steps, but it's only a few extra clicks (and it's possible there's something simpler I'm missing - not a Transfer Utility expert and can't think clearly these days).

D.S. 4.8.0.59 (never downloaded, let alone installed any later DS for reasons I've given enought times). G8F loaded (despite the warning window that says D.S, can't load it ... beforre it then loads it), G3F Army Uniform jacket, pants and boots loaded and converted to G8F, including A-pose zero and retaining original fitting and style morphs, entirely within DS during the one session using two runs each through Transfer Utility, 3DL materials applied to clothes, 3DL material applied to G8F, G3F pose applied, my G3F G8F Pose Adjust script applied, put on hair as afterthought and hit render (3DL).

So ... particular Transfer Utility workflow (with two TU runs if you want to keep original morphs in the converted clothing item) a few clicks more than the 'normal' TU workflow for e.g. G2F clothing to G3F. But you certainly can convert all the assorted Genesis, G2 and G3 clothings to G8F entirely within DS using Transfer Utility, producing converted clothes that are in G8F matching A-pose zero. I presume the 4.9s before the latest update could do the same.

It's the poor documentation. The tools we've had in DS for a long time can actually do more than most people think they can ... like this.

(And, yes, I know she shouldn't be saluting without a cover on!)

G8F-G3FClothes-SA4-8TU.jpg
    350 x 685 - 70K