One serious question about Generation 8 models that will influence my support...

Not to long ago, I said I was not going to get any Genesis 8 models because i really didn't know what DAZ was going to do to improve on it.  But after reading about Victoria 8, I have one question...and if it's true, my decision has been made...

Will Genesis 8 models (including Victoria 8) be backwards compatible with previous models...INCLUDING clothing, poses, textures, and character morphs?

Is this true?

Comments

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited June 2017

Character morphs would not work directly because of the polygon difference; however there is a method using the transfer tool in DS to copy morphs using the G3 clone in G8. Also only textures based on G3F UVs will work, the others will need to be converted using DS's Map Transfer tool.

EDIT: I read your post backwards, but yes you could use the transfer tool to move morphs back (and you have to do some cleanup)... clothes won't move backwards, and only textures based on the G3F UV would work. Zev0 has a utility coming up to convert poses.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Nope.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982

Clothing, hair, some poses will to a point be backward compatible as far back as Genesis 1.. V4 content will need to be converted to G1, G2, G3 for it to work on G8, until someone brings out a script/plugin/shape/clone to make it automatic you will have to do it manually.. As for textures most G3 textures should work well, textures from V4, G1, G2 not so sure about and as for morphs will have to see if we will get an update to Generation X since the sad departure of its creator Dimension3D..

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587

So according to the website:

Compatibility

Genesis 8 includes backward-compatible and even male to female clones for all of the previous generations and sexes of Genesis products. This means that items that were specifically created for Genesis, Genesis 2 or Genesis 3 can now all be used on Genesis 8. So break out that Genesis 2 space suit you loved or your favorite party dress for Genesis, it's time to strut your favorite stuff!

So according to this, looks like clothing and hair for sure.  Would be real nice if morphs were backwards compatible without third party stuff.

If your clothing has bones you relied on, it will lose them. So clothing backward compatibility is limited.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

If your clothing has bones you relied on, it will lose them. So clothing backward compatibility is limited.

Provided you're using a weight-mapped figure you if you use the transfer utility rather than just auto-fitting you can retain bones (although it's a bit more effort with triax) it's not particularly automatic, but completely doable

Got a link to a tutorial for how to do that? Would be good to have around for the future.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    edited June 2017
    j cade said:

Provided you're using a weight-mapped figure you if you use the transfer utility rather than just auto-fitting you can retain bones (although it's a bit more effort with triax) it's not particularly automatic, but completely doable

Is there a good tutorial on how to do this that you're aware of? I'd REALLY like to try this :) I have so many older clothing favorites that I use regularly and would like to be able to keep using them :P

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • eheiehbruno@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 842
    edited June 2017
    AllenArt said:
    j cade said:

Is there a good tutorial on how to do this that you're aware of? I'd REALLY like to try this :) I have so many older clothing favorites that I use regularly and would like to be able to keep using them :P

Laurie

Sickleyield, as usual, to the rescue:

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Custom-Bone-Rigs-G2F-to-Genesis-Convert-398192766

She has other tutorials for high heels or for Gen 4 stuff, but this looks like the most relevant for G3 to G8 conversions.

Edit: actually, she has a faster and easier method (which is the one I have used when needed, should have double-checked).

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Keeping-Bones-On-TU-Conversion-Fast-Way-449218737

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565

Looking at the polys, most are the same, so Transfer Utility should transfer many morphs completely accurately and most very closely (more so than TU or GenX transferring V4>Genesis or Genesis to G2F. or G2F>G3F).

AS for poses - they are the same size, same shape barring a little bending correction on the shoulders, same bodyparts, joints in same places. the only posing difference is the zero pose - G8F has shldrbend bends down 45 degrees and thighbend side-to-sides 6 degrees out. Which is easy to correct. See Freebie section of forum here or ShareCG DS section for script I've just written that modifies G8F's shoulder bend and thigh side-to-side by 45 and 6 degrees respectively. Apply a G3F pose to G8F and click this script - it should fix G8F's pose so it's just like it was on G3F. Best to add the script as a custom action - then you can have it in the scripts menu or as a button on the toolbar.

Of course someone will come along with a script that wil batch convert G3F poses by the folder, but for now - just use this, and after applying each G3F pose to G8F, click the script to correct it.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    Uthgard said:
    AllenArt said:
    j cade said:

Laurie

Sickleyield, as usual, to the rescue:

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Custom-Bone-Rigs-G2F-to-Genesis-Convert-398192766

She has other tutorials for high heels or for Gen 4 stuff, but this looks like the most relevant for G3 to G8 conversions.

Edit: actually, she has a faster and easier method (which is the one I have used when needed, should have double-checked).

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Keeping-Bones-On-TU-Conversion-Fast-Way-449218737

I had found them in the meantime, but thanks regardless. She's brilliant ;).

Laurie