Gen 8 !? Awww C'mon

SasqwachSasqwach Posts: 25
edited June 2017 in The Commons

So another generation figure...Initial thoughts...

Ok so Gen 8....

• She supports Gen 3 mats, but not Gen 2 morphs / characters
  • She doesn’t support Gen 2 Mats or Morphs or poses,
  • She supports Gen 3 Poses and expressions (almost...eyes seem a little off)
  • She can wear Gen genesis, Gen 2 & 3 clothing (but not V4)

Bouncing To Gen 3

• She supports all gen mats  (with additional soft / tools)
  • She will do Gen 8 poses
  • She can’t do Gen 2 or V4 poses
  • She can’t seem to wear Gen 8 clothing (yet)
  • She can wear all gen clothing (except 8)

But back to Gen 2

• She supports all V4 and Gen 2 mats but not Gen 3 or Gen 8
  • She kinda can do Gen 4 poses with tweaking and tools
  • She can’t do Gen 3 or Gen 8 poses
  • She can’t wear Gen 8 clothing (yet)
  • She can wear Gen, Gen 2, Gen 3 and V4 clothing

(I am sure I am missing some bits n pieces or there is a toolset somewhere that does one of the cross conversions I would want)

BUT Anyone else getting a bit "aaargh ! Too many cross options !"?

I do like a new iteration but one of the sad things is the lack of backwards compatibility or reuse of assets. Just when you get to love Gen 2, Gen 3 comes along, all the Gen 2 stuff stops getting made but thankfully you get support eventually. Then we have Gen 3 , you get some compatibility from Gen 2 but not all there will always be areas where things just won’t be supported like poses and expressions (tho characters...we have Gen X2 tool thankfully!) Now we have Gen 8 the likelihood of good cross support....wait n see

As a near OCD level organizer of my library and wanting to have as many options as possible (Ie I wanna use a V4 outfit on a Gen 3 figure, with a Gen 2 skin, and a Genx2 converted A4 character preset in a Gen 8 pose)...well sadly I would only get so far.

Progress is inevitable, but feel the iterations and cross support or continued support of older stuff is too soon. ie Gen 2 had very few expression packs released, Gen 3 has loads...V4 has thousands. We don’t see ANY Gen 2 clothing, poses, expressions or mats being made anymore...ok it was a while ago, and we do have some cross tools...but how long before we are on Gen XVII and have a runtime full of redudnant stuff. Daz has a good marketing strategy, the content is always fresh and excellent, It's getting better and better all the time, but the iterations are just coming along waaay too fast IMO

There is the option..well if you dont like it, dont buy it or use it, but kinda feel eventually we are cornered into a "ok I have to switch to this gen as older stuff just wont work so good anymore"....not expecting the moon on a stick...just getting a bit "ooohh too many options..liked that but cant use on this, but can use this bit but not that bit"

Still not as bad as games consoles backwards compatibility...=) so should be thankful !

Thoughts ?

Post edited by Sasqwach on

Comments

• UH . ... so Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3 .. and now Genesis 8.  Am I missing something?

• ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209

Well:

1) Windows 1.0 (I ahve a file somewhere on 5 1/4 disk, verry usefull indeed)

2) Windows 2.0 (was fun)

3) Wndows 3.1/3.11

4) Windows 95/98/NT

5) Windows ME/Windows 2000

6) Windows XP

7) Windows Vista

8) Windows 7

9) Windows 8

10) Windows 10

Counting seems to be difficult for IT related companies............:-).

• UH . ... so Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3 .. and now Genesis 8.  Am I missing something?

It's actually a Sanity-Correction based on the full Daz Figure legacy-

Vic/Mike 1

Vic/Mike etc. 2

Vic/Mike etc. 3

Vic/Mike etc. 4

Genesis 1 (But also Vic/Mike etc 5)

Genesis 2 (But also Vic/Mike, and even Reptillian and other craziness 6)

Genesis 3 (But also Vic/Mike 7 and Centaur 7 and so on)

Genesis 8 (Now in sync with Vic/Mike etc 8)

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited June 2017

The dawn of Genesis 3's obselence for new products has now arrived... Whatever we hoped those characters we've crafted to be able to wear and use, probably now has around a month or so left. Then most new items will be focusing solely on Genesis 4/8 and not looking back. At least Genesis 3 is still completely compatible with the same rendering engine, though, which means looking perfectly fine alongside any Genesis 4/8 stuff in the same scene.

On the other hand, it also means the new generation will require a heavy investment to bring it up to speed with Genesis 3's basic performance. If Daz at least packaged the inevitable additional shaping/expression morphs for free, it would create a lot of good will. Then there are Zev's aging morphs, Sickleyield's fantasy-related shapes (for teeth and ears), Dogz' (utterly essential) 200 Morphs, etcetera...

Also, if the process requires additional tools outside of Daz Studio, then a character cannot be said to use the materials of previous generations.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
  • edited June 2017

I can't get Genesis 3 clothing to fit but I can get Genesis 3 materials to apply correctly to Genesis 8.

UPDATE

My bad.  I did not use Genesis 3 female as the Fit To -- I used Unsupported Figure.  OK all working now.  Please ignore my post. Thanks

DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro 15_6_2017 8_56_51 PMx.png
    675 x 879 - 2M
    Post edited by ibr_remote aka infinity10 on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,827

It is the same question on every release. "Is the previous figure now obsolete?" No matter how long it takes for a new figure, you will have the same coments again and again. It is not, that I don't understand the point, but the alternative whould be to never release a new figure again.

• ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209

Well yes and no......you can verry well release a new figure without disturbing the basic skeleton and thus preserving the major weight groups on the clothing of the old mesh in full functionality. It's perfectly possible in 3D. It's just what you want. G2 had tri-axis weight mapping. G3 skipped that, G8 has a different base pose making it more compatible with game engines, but creating all sorts of problems for armpit movements (that even some published vendors haven't gotten used to as I see).

So forget the G2, G3 clothing compatibility, it's there for most of the time, but for extreme posses, the cross-fitt is less then perfect for shirts, pants are better then they were, G2 and G3 to G8 works more or less flawlessly.

Greets, Artisan

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

I'm equally as amused as I am disappointed that Daz are still releasing HD morphs seperate to the base figure...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,469

Because not everyone wants the HD morphs for one reason or the other.

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

I'm equally as amused as I am disappointed that Daz are still releasing HD morphs seperate to the base figure...

Actually there are some HD morphs at least for the face.  I just found them in the shaping tab.  I think they came in the G8 facial morphs pack but not sure since i purchased the face/body/expression morphs along with the pro bundle and just let DIM install the lot